Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 04:13 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,084,440 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Interesting... so even Evangelicals aren't very cohesive then. I have a sort of aversion to the "Big Church" style, but I thought it seemed pretty positive. Yet you are seeing the negative. Is this Joel guy not trusted within mainstream Evangelical circles?
My experience was that the backstabbers and negative people will find something to complain about in any situation. There is a lot of petty jealousy in evangelical circles, some of the people hated the church I quit because the pastor was only concerned about money, while others were complaining that the same pastor was only concerned with cheating behind his wife. In all, the majority of the people were phonies and frauds, from the pulpit down, and that seems to be a similar situation today. Phony people with petty jealousy and insecurities will find something and anything to complain about, even a well made TV show with an excellent narrator.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-28-2016, 04:14 PM

7,593 posts, read 6,084,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAOU812 View Post
Seriously. I was looking forward to this but was bored to tears. Had to change the channel. Oh well, can't win them all!
Learning nothing new, but Morgan Freeman still manages to save an otherwise dull show.

Old 04-29-2016, 11:47 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,065,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Unfortunately, content matters, though. He is known for his ability to twist a passage to talk about us instead of Jesus.
That is because of his close connect to Jesus. You see, Jesus says "the poor, etc, those are me" "Jesus-worshipers, you are my body"... se if a passage talks about Jesus it is talking about Us.

It is called Bibliomancy (divination using certain books) and is very similar to necromancy, but it uses dead tree mush and oral traditions or auto-created interpretive rituals (such as closing your eyes and asking guidance from a spirit or god) instead of mammal corpses with those other things.

Old 04-30-2016, 06:40 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times
when you are the first to make a claim it always seems to be in error. Until time passes.

Old 04-30-2016, 01:05 PM

19,990 posts, read 13,470,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LargeKingCat View Post
Learning nothing new, but Morgan Freeman still manages to save an otherwise dull show.
I read recently that Freeman credits the appeal of his speaking / narrative abilities to diction coaching he received in his formative years. When you really pay attention to how he talks, it is crystal clear and precise. People respond to that subconsciously.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality