Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 02:53 PM

33,536 posts, read 37,136,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Another example of atheist mockery. Mean atheist = mockery. Funny that in your attempt to pick at me, you only prove my point even more.
Perhaps if your posts were more honest things would be better for you....We are constantly forced to point out your misinformation, but that's not picking on you.....It would also help if you would keep your belly aching and whining to a minimum....... Just a thought....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 03:02 PM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
Knowing God brings hope , as God can shut the devil up who takes hope away and give people ideas of suicide ...............Actually Jesus will continue to save Christians who have lost their mind who commit suicide , but for people who have a clear mind they cannot repent of the murder of themselves and would be lost to God .....

Old 04-22-2016, 03:03 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times
Jeff, please take this bit of advise seriously.

When you link to a source, make sure you understand what the source is saying, that it is credible, and that the point you are trying to make correlates with what the source is actually saying, if it is credible.

If you get called out on factual information or credibility, don't take it personal. If I link to a source that becomes suspect, or I interpreted wrong, I don't take it personally. It means I need to reevaluate my perspective, especially if it can not be backed up.

I've been bashed for my positions on issues here on CD, but rarely has anyone bashed me for posting false or sources that are not credible. There are more than a few who don't like what those sources conclude, but in the end, few can argue their credibility.

You would find a lot less 'mockery' as you say if you follow this advise. We can still agree to disagree.

Old 04-22-2016, 03:31 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Quote:
For all those who scoffed at my claim that suicide is growing in the US, well here is my proof:

From 1999 to 2014, suicide rates have been rising approximately 1 to 2 percent every year, according to the report by the National Center for Health Statistics at the CDC. The rise is a marked change from the previous decade when the suicide rates were going down.

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/us-suicide...opstories.html

I certainly know why. This is a glaring consequence when you kick faith and God out of the culture and society. We are seeing a rapid increase in suicide at the same time we are seeing an increase of people leaving the church and faith. Furthermore, you can find high suicide rates in countries like Japan where religion is not a part of the culture.

The ugly truth is that atheism and suicide are tied at the hip.

Religion and Suicide: Religious Affiliation, Atheism, Suicide
BUT, I thought the fundamentalist were all overjoyed since they claim church attendance and population were GROWING?

SO which is it? NO GOD or GOD IN ABUNDANCE?

I believe the reason suicide is increasing is the latter..

The majority of MASS SUICIDES have been carried out by christians..Jim Jones--David Koresh--

Old 04-22-2016, 03:31 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,225,542 times
Quote:
For all those who scoffed at my claim that suicide is growing in the US, well here is my proof:

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/us-suicide...opstories.html

I certainly know why. This is a glaring consequence when you kick faith and God out of the culture and society. We are seeing a rapid increase in suicide at the same time we are seeing an increase of people leaving the church and faith. Furthermore, you can find high suicide rates in countries like Japan where religion is not a part of the culture.

Religion and Suicide: Religious Affiliation, Atheism, Suicide
The study you posted disagrees with your view. It does not say that the lack of a believe in God is a major factor in the cause of suicide. It makes note that suicide rates are higher in secular nations, but does not make the claim that the two are closely related. The study makes only one major claim: those who are suicide prone, which no significant difference in these numbers exists within the religious and non-religious, are more likely to commit suicide if they are not religious because religions tend to attach a moral status to suicide.

You're making the mistake of thinking that correlation and causation are the same.

Old 04-22-2016, 04:02 PM

24,621 posts, read 19,163,062 times
Quote:
There's nothing wrong with suicide. It's a personal choice.

I don't see where Atheism has anything to do with it. I don't even see where Atheists have higher suicide rates.

Old 04-22-2016, 06:07 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
Perhaps if your posts were more honest things would be better for you....We are constantly forced to point out your misinformation, but that's not picking on you.....It would also help if you would keep your belly aching and whining to a minimum....... Just a thought....

This from someone who posted an extremely offensive blatant lie about me. I would hope you know better.
Here's a thought. Don't like my posts? Don't READ THEM! No one is forcing you too. I stand by my beliefs, and no one here has proven me wrong.

Old 04-22-2016, 06:12 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
BUT, I thought the fundamentalist were all overjoyed since they claim church attendance and population were GROWING?

SO which is it? NO GOD or GOD IN ABUNDANCE?

I believe the reason suicide is increasing is the latter..

The majority of MASS SUICIDES have been carried out by christians..Jim Jones--David Koresh--
Jim Jones was atheist.

Old 04-22-2016, 06:28 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,283,690 times
Quote:
I stand by my beliefs, and no one here has proven me wrong.
And in other news from the weird side, Elvis and Michael Jackson were spotted having lunch at Subway, scientists have found a Martian spy post on the Moon, and the Chicago Cubs won the World Series .

Old 04-22-2016, 06:30 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,219,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
And in other news from the weird side, Elvis and Michael Jackson were spotted having lunch at Subway, scientists have found a Martian spy post on the Moon, and the Chicago Cubs won the World Series .
The only reason Chicago won is because Prince was switch-hitting..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality