Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2016, 09:10 PM

10,075 posts, read 5,700,692 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Sorry bud, but your claim has been thoroughly blown to bits here . You should do more thorough research before posting this nonsense to get even with Cupper .
Ahh gee, and you say that to every Christian because hey, atheists are NEVER wrong, right? Facts don't fly in your fantasy world. Like homosexuality and HIV have zero relation to each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2016, 09:18 PM

10,931 posts, read 5,902,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Actually, atheists have everything to live for. This is the only life we have, and we need to and want to make it the best we can for us. Fundamentalists revel in an apocalypse, hoping it comes soon, and just like those Muslim fundamentalists who blow themselves up, hope to have a better life in some fantasy afterlife.

Atheists want to make the earth a better place, fundamentalists don't care, and point to biblical references that say the earth is for human's use.

Atheists are pretty sure that we all become worm food, and we are OK with that. We, atheists, hope we have done some little part in making this earth a better place, for both humans, and the earth itself.

But we don't have imaginary friends. We lost them back in childhood. We deal with the here and now. We atheists have everything to live for, and nothing to die for.
That is exactly right. Good post!

I've heard Christians display a callous attitude saying it doesn't matter because we will be in heaven when we die.

I am trying to make the best of my life even though I have been dealt a crappy hand. It's all I've got and is all I will ever have. I want to live while I can!

Last edited by 303Guy; 04-22-2016 at 09:37 PM..

Old 04-22-2016, 09:37 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,270,623 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Ahh gee, and you say that to every Christian because hey, atheists are NEVER wrong, right? Facts don't fly in your fantasy world. Like homosexuality and HIV have zero relation to each other.

You should really pay more attention to your own cited facts , Jeff. Your own article states that there was no difference in mental health issues , depression, stress, etc between the religious and non religious . It also states that the difference appeared to be more moral objections to suicide that controlled the impulse among religious than non religious .

Really dude, read up on your own sources please.

Old 04-22-2016, 10:34 PM

4,903 posts, read 6,002,438 times
Quote:
Now who is correlating? My theory is grounded on logic. There is ZERO hope in life with atheism. Only death awaits and having faith that the best case scenario is you suddenly won't exist anymore.
This post only says you hold a rather bleak and pessimistic view of life. What you're saying is that life is intrinsically hopeless and meaningless; that is a much more terrible and sorrowful view of the world than many atheists have. The fact someone doesn't believe in your invisible wizard doesn't mean they can't have hope or meaning in life.

Old 04-22-2016, 10:39 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,295,566 times
Quote:
Actually the facts never backed either of your claims. You brought up a good thread, had a report that backed some of your opinions. Don't like the stats or the listing of suicide rates tough but your normal comeback each time we show you that your facts do not say what you think they do is to shout that we claim we can never be wrong. That BS got tired 50 times ago.

Your distain of atheism comes out loud and clear. Suicide rates fairly flat for 6 decades does not show an increase with a decrease in religious belief, low and high religious beliefs all over the standings of suicide rates fails to show a correlation. Whose world does not face facts? What were the HIV rates among lesbians again compared to hetrosexual men?

Old 04-22-2016, 11:33 PM

7,943 posts, read 6,041,397 times
Quote:
Turn about is fair play. IF people like Cupper are going to make it their mission to hunt down every Christian leader who screws up then I'm making it my mission to show the ugly side of atheism. ...
You've been finding oppression under every rock since you first got here. The pagans also did that. I remember that it was specifically your misleading and inflammatory thread titles (and thread content) that made me go on the offensive, since "turn about is fair play" but given the bias and interest level, only your pro-religion threads would get constant reposting. I also remember the Cupper didn't post too much about the all too common stories detailing the ignorance and misdeeds of religion from his news feed until after you first started crusading for your imaginations.

All the suicides I know about were children of rather more religious parents. I think it has more to do with ignorance and lack of real love, then with "religion" per say. But the specific religions were tilling their fields and producing their fruits.

Old 04-23-2016, 10:44 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,812,506 times
Quote:
Turn about is fair play. IF people like Cupper are going to make it their mission to hunt down every Christian leader who screws up then I'm making it my mission to show the ugly side of atheism. The difference is your side ignores the vastly positive actions and elements of Christianity. I struggle to find any positives with atheists. If I saw atheist groups creating outreach programs and helping the needy instead of fighting this war against Christians with billboards and attacking religious freedom, maybe my perspective would change.
YE GODS!!! Every bloody thread he start is a pathetic 'BooHooHoo! You're always persecuting us' grizzling whine isn't it? Here Jeff, have another one...

WHAAAAAAAAA!

Old 04-23-2016, 10:50 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,812,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
The claim by the biased website adherents.com is patently dishonest.
I'm shocked!!

Old 04-23-2016, 10:56 AM

16,060 posts, read 10,621,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post

Obviously, correlation does not suggest causation. More people are using cell phones now than they did in 1999, could that be the cause of the higher suicide rates? Or the increase in voters who registered as Independents? Or the increase in Korean car sales?
It's the Korean car sales if you ask me.

Old 04-23-2016, 10:58 AM

19,802 posts, read 13,339,148 times
Quote:
For all those who scoffed at my claim that suicide is growing in the US, well here is my proof:

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/us-suicide...opstories.html
So far so good.
Quote:
I certainly know why.
... and then you go off the rails. The article does not draw conclusions. The cause is indeterminate at this point. Your confirmation bias says it has to be atheism. It might even BE atheism ... in some cases ... but in reality there are many causes for suicide: depression, economic downturn, discrimination and other forms of chronic anxiety over things like, ahem, being gay ... mental illness ... the list goes on.
Quote:
The ugly truth is that atheism and suicide are tied at the hip.
The actual truth is that suicide is way more multifaceted than that. In fact the biggest upturn is amongst young girls, where the causes are apt to be highly irrational (my life is over because Marcy was mean to me and I got a B minus GPA).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality