Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-23-2016, 12:22 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,274,078 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
YE GODS!!! Every bloody thread he start is a pathetic 'BooHooHoo! You're always persecuting us' grizzling whine isn't it? Here Jeff, have another one...

WHAAAAAAAAA!

You ever notice that Jeff doesn't participate much in the Christianity forum about the Christian religion? It's almost exclusively controversial topics in this forum that draw him in, and then he whines incessantly about how the atheists are meanies .

When I fist came here I noticed how much flak he caught , and how he complained . So I offered a no insult discussion to him . He refused . Later on he complained about the same thing, and I challenged him to a discussion in which I admitted defeat if I insulted him, but he had to answer my questions without dodging or he admitted defeat . Again, declined. Not long ago I made the offer again, noted that he refused the first two. He claimed not to remember so I brought it back up, made the no insult offer AGAIN as long as he agreed to answer questions I put to him, and once again declined .

Jeff hangs out in a place of controversial topics here rather than Christian specific and Bible specific ones in Christianity forum, and refuses all offers at having a discussion free from insult .

Anyone seeing a trend ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2016, 12:33 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,821,127 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
You ever notice that Jeff doesn't participate much in the Christianity forum about the Christian religion? It's almost exclusively controversial topics in this forum that draw him in, and then he whines incessantly about how the atheists are meanies .

When I fist came here I noticed how much flak he caught , and how he complained . So I offered a no insult discussion to him . He refused . Later on he complained about the same thing, and I challenged him to a discussion in which I admitted defeat if I insulted him, but he had to answer my questions without dodging or he admitted defeat . Again, declined. Not long ago I made the offer again, noted that he refused the first two. He claimed not to remember so I brought it back up, made the no insult offer AGAIN as long as he agreed to answer questions I put to him, and once again declined .
Yes...It's been noted. He is just intellectually bankrupt.

Quote:
Jeff hangs out in a place of controversial topics here rather than Christian specific and Bible specific ones in Christianity forum, and refuses all offers at having a discussion free from insult .
Well flash...you have to realise that Christians and especially those like Jeff, thrive on what they like to see as 'persecution'. They thrive on it because they genuinely believe that baby Jesus will give them bonus 'get into heaven points' for being persecuted 'in his name'....so they go out of their way to garner ridicule.

Old 04-23-2016, 02:44 PM

6,542 posts, read 4,082,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
The article plainly states this:

How much more plain does it have to be? Religion is associated with SIGNIFICANTLY lower levels of suicide.
Apparently you don't like reading...

Quote:
Although there is a strong statistically significant correlation linking religious belief and practice to lower levels of suicide, it is not reasonable to use this correlation to broadly generalize about the merits of any particular belief system. Simply put, most people eat food, have families, work or go to school. But only a tiny fraction of any population ever commits suicide. Suicide is a statistical anomaly and is not a generally applicable demographic measure.

Social scientists believe that non-belief in God or lack of religiosity are not causitive factors leading to suicide. Rather, it is likely that religious belief that suicide is wrong is a strong deterrent factor that prevents otherwise suicide-prone individuals from committing suicide.

It's not a hard read. You were looking for the statistics you wanted to see and ended there. The article plainly states that a lack of religious belief is in no way the cause of suicide rates increasing. Nor does this particular study actually even addressing rising suicide rates. It was merely a cross analysis of those with suicidal tendencies and their religious or lack of religious beliefs.

Quote:
Then you have to at least admit that society is not getting better for people.
I already think that. I simply reject your reasoning for it.

Old 04-23-2016, 02:49 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,204,145 times
Choosing one's death should be a 'right' for all persons of advanced age who do not desire to live longer.

Old 04-23-2016, 03:02 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,300,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDocKat View Post
Choosing one's death should be a 'right' for all persons of advanced age who do not desire to live longer.
Doctor assisted suicide soon to be available for Canadians, we already hold the right to take our own livers just not those of others.

I believe that for many society has considerably improved since the 1950s.

Old 04-23-2016, 03:15 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,893,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDusty View Post
Apparently you don't like reading...

It's not a hard read. You were looking for the statistics you wanted to see and ended there. The article plainly states that a lack of religious belief is in no way the cause of suicide rates increasing. Nor does this particular study actually even addressing rising suicide rates. It was merely a cross analysis of those with suicidal tendencies and their religious or lack of religious beliefs.

I already think that. I simply reject your reasoning for it.
Too soon to rep again, but this is at the heart of Jeff's issue with reading comprehension.

Old 04-23-2016, 04:24 PM

1,450 posts, read 1,204,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Doctor assisted suicide soon to be available for Canadians, we already hold the right to take our own livers just not those of others.

I believe that for many society has considerably improved since the 1950s.
I do not like using the word 'suicide', as it implies a negative meaning, like homicide. Physician assisted would not be necessary if one were able to procure the elixir (ingredient) in the same manner one is able to put down a pet, put them 'to sleep' some call it. If one needed medical approval, it would have to be 'other; regulated, as if not, some physicians would choose not to administer the elixir based on personal reasons.

I would not advocate this for everyone, only those at some established age, or that an older age, then subtract the time, with some rational mathematical formula, for those who have already been ill for some years.

I do not advocate it for young persons, those who are depressed, nor do I think mental illness should be always a barrier. People have the right to die if life not going to be enjoyable, To die with dignity is reasonable due to illness, coupled by advanced age.

Those younger who pay for healthcare might consider this as a possible source of future benefit, in terms of medical access.

Old 04-23-2016, 04:28 PM

10,077 posts, read 5,707,059 times
Quote:
Someone has to be the voice of reason here. And besides, atheists have pretty much bullied and taken over the Christian forum as well.

Quote:

No, I laid out my conditions for a fair argument. You threw them back in my face. It's obviously a waste of time engaging in a discussion with your type.

Quote:

Anyone seeing a trend ?
I'll said it again, you don't like my posts, you are welcome to hit the ignore button. Funny that you do admit here that I get lots of flak.

Old 04-23-2016, 04:34 PM

10,939 posts, read 5,913,191 times
Quote:
Someone has to be the voice of reason here. And besides, atheists have pretty much bullied and taken over the Christian forum as well.
I leave them alone there (mostly). Besides, I don't understand what they are saying most of the time.

Quote:
I'll said it again, you don't like my posts, you are welcome to hit the ignore button. Funny that you do admit here that I get lots of flak.
Jeff, you do take a lot of flak! Why would we put you on ignore? We come here specifically to debate you.

Old 04-23-2016, 04:59 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,300,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldDocKat View Post
I do not like using the word 'suicide', as it implies a negative meaning, like homicide. Physician assisted would not be necessary if one were able to procure the elixir (ingredient) in the same manner one is able to put down a pet, put them 'to sleep' some call it. If one needed medical approval, it would have to be 'other; regulated, as if not, some physicians would choose not to administer the elixir based on personal reasons.

I would not advocate this for everyone, only those at some established age, or that an older age, then subtract the time, with some rational mathematical formula, for those who have already been ill for some years.

I do not advocate it for young persons, those who are depressed, nor do I think mental illness should be always a barrier. People have the right to die if life not going to be enjoyable, To die with dignity is reasonable due to illness, coupled by advanced age.

Those younger who pay for healthcare might consider this as a possible source of future benefit, in terms of medical access.
No, assisted suicide is required when you are no longer able to do it yourself. Some like Susan Rodriguez waited til theiyou were physically unable and then it was too late and she had to endure months of great pain and the inability to basically function. Hers was a very sad story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality