Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2016, 07:56 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,047,890 times

Advertisements

I am a confirmed atheist, and have been so for 30 years now. I am confident in my beliefs, and have no fear of judgment. However, I find myself in an interesting position due to a series of events.

1. I have a friend who is a devout Mormon. We discuss many things, including religion and philosophy. Not surprisingly, he is giving me pressure to convert. It isn't going to happen, as he cannot provide proof of his religion, other than personal revelation. We have also discussed the Mormon scriptures, which I find to be riddled with logical fallacies.

2. Coincidentally, I have been to a number of funerals recently. All have been religious services, and filled with people who are devout.

3. I recently joined a sports league. The team that I joined has prayers before every event. This is a private league, not affiliated with any school or governmental entity, so there are no church:state separation issues. I am not a dick, so I stand quietly while everybody else does their prayer thing. My lack of participation may or may not have been noticed yet.

4. I have had a fair bit of business contact with a local pastor. While the contact is a professional relationship that is job related, he does make a point of letting me know that I am in his prayers. He probably doesn't know that I am an atheist, but by my lack of response in kind, I am sure he has me categorized as non-religious of some sort.

This is more religion in a short period of time than I have encountered since the 1980s. I find the social pressure to conform to be stronger than I had expected. While I have no intention of converting, I can see how people in religious areas might do so after years of constant pressure. I am sure that it can influence your thinking.

I don't really have a question, just the comment that I understand socitetal religious pressure in a new way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2016, 07:59 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,223,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
I am a confirmed atheist, and have been so for 30 years now. I am confident in my beliefs, and have no fear of judgment. However, I find myself in an interesting position due to a series of events.

1. I have a friend who is a devout Mormon. We discuss many things, including religion and philosophy. Not surprisingly, he is giving me pressure to convert. It isn't going to happen, as he cannot provide proof of his religion, other than personal revelation. We have also discussed the Mormon scriptures, which I find to be riddled with logical fallacies.

2. Coincidentally, I have been to a number of funerals recently. All have been religious services, and filled with people who are devout.

3. I recently joined a sports league. The team that I joined has prayers before every event. This is a private league, not affiliated with any school or governmental entity, so there are no church:state separation issues. I am not a dick, so I stand quietly while everybody else does their prayer thing. My lack of participation may or may not have been noticed yet.

4. I have had a fair bit of business contact with a local pastor. While the contact is a professional relationship that is job related, he does make a point of letting me know that I am in his prayers. He probably doesn't know that I am an atheist, but by my lack of response in kind, I am sure he has me categorized as non-religious of some sort.

This is more religion in a short period of time than I have encountered since the 1980s. I find the social pressure to conform to be stronger than I had expected. While I have no intention of converting, I can see how people in religious areas might do so after years of constant pressure. I am sure that it can influence your thinking.

I don't really have a question, just the comment that I understand socitetal religious pressure in a new way.
The pressure is great, even when it is subtle. Everyone seems to want confirmation they have the right idea by getting others to accept their belief.

Old 04-27-2016, 05:04 PM

9,690 posts, read 10,018,190 times
If religious churches have a lot of funerals then it is not the church to be going to , ...or find the churches with less or no funerals , there will God be

Old 04-27-2016, 05:06 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post

Perhaps God is communicating something to you.

Old 04-27-2016, 05:08 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Perhaps God is communicating something to you.
Perhaps God is telling the OP to become a Mormon.

Old 04-27-2016, 05:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Perhaps God is telling the OP to become a Mormon.
I very much doubt that.

Old 04-27-2016, 05:12 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
I very much doubt that.
Of course you do.

God, meanwhile, does what he wants.

Old 04-27-2016, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Of course you do.

God, meanwhile, does what he wants.
Do you believe God would tell someone to embrace a heretical teaching? (Mind you I'm not calling Mormonism heretical).

Old 04-27-2016, 05:22 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times
Quote:
I very much doubt that.
Perhaps God wants you to become a Mormon. He exposed fishbrains to all of this so that he would would start this thread, knowing it would reach your eyes and give you something to think about.

Old 04-27-2016, 05:23 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,637,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
If religious churches have a lot of funerals then it is not the church to be going to , ...or find the churches with less or no funerals , there will God be
Because God abandons people when they die? Because those who truly believe in God don't die?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality