Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-10-2018, 08:02 AM

16,774 posts, read 4,979,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Then let's review your thinking. Does the fact that OT law sanctions slavery mean that slavery is required? No, it des not, it only establishes rules for the operation of the institution when it is in place. THEREFORE there is no violation of OT law if the institution is NOT in place. Are you following? Your post has no merit in reason.
No one but you is talking about slavery being required. But the OT says not only that slavery is allowed, it says how slaves and servants are to be treated. The US law says slavery is not allowed. So the US law does not follow the laws of the OT.

Old 06-10-2018, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Agreed. Tolerance tends to be a one way street with most people, the left included.
I do not think the bakers are on the left.

Old 06-10-2018, 08:39 AM

Quote:
I know this may come as a surprise to many...but some people have morals and convictions. And it's less about discriminating as it is choosing to act according to those morals and convictions.
By breaking the law. Brilliant morals on display there.

Old 06-10-2018, 08:42 AM

4,633 posts, read 3,465,125 times
Tokinouta, the laws are spelled out in the books. Maybe you're confused?

Old 06-10-2018, 09:13 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
I love that Transponder sees it as forcing our values when it was the gay couple that came into his store and demanded that he compromise his values. They are the ones forcing their values onto us!
Quote:
Agreed. Tolerance tends to be a one way street with most people, the left included.
You may be beginning to get it. Now realize that what is not being tolerated here is systematic and historical INtolerance of certain classes that leads to unfair discrimination.

Hey, that's the purpose of law: to impose conformity to fair standards.

Last edited by nateswift; 06-10-2018 at 10:04 AM..

Old 06-10-2018, 09:30 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
"we don't sell to your kind." is just bad mojo.

but, can, should, they refuse to make a cake for a black supremacist group?

I mean "gay" yes, yo have to sell, I see that. but whats the line?

Old 06-10-2018, 09:34 AM

28,432 posts, read 11,577,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Diogenes View Post
No one but you is talking about slavery being required. But the OT says not only that slavery is allowed, it says how slaves and servants are to be treated. The US law says slavery is not allowed. So the US law does not follow the laws of the OT.
lmao, slavery again. slavery is a dead issue. I don't know any christians, nor have I met any christians, that think slavery is reasonable under normal conditions.

Old 06-10-2018, 09:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
lmao, slavery again. slavery is a dead issue. I don't know any christians, nor have I met any christians, that think slavery is reasonable under normal conditions.
You miss the points.

1) Slavery is immoral, therefore the OT laws are not moral.

2) The US says slavery is illegal, therefore it is not following the OT laws.

Therefore what the fundamentalists here are saying is false.

Old 06-10-2018, 09:40 AM

50,809 posts, read 24,310,427 times
Quote:
I know this may come as a surprise to many...but some people have morals and convictions. And it's less about discriminating as it is choosing to act according to those morals and convictions.
You seem to have the absurd opinion that there are only one set of morals. Throughout this country, and even more so throughout this world, there are various "sets" of morals. The Baptists have a different set of morals than the Mormons. The Mormons a different set of morals than the Muslims. The Muslims a different set of morals than the Buddhists. And so forth. Clearly, Baptist morality was once greatly in err since the Southern Baptists -- "the world's largest Baptist denomination, the largest Protestant denomination in the United States, and the second-largest Christian denomination in the United States" -- supported slavery...and don't tell us that they didn't, because if they didn't the church body wouldn't have formally apologized for "its racist roots and apologizing for its past defense of slavery, segregation, and white supremacy". And that just shows you that morality is fluid. Heck, today they've even denounced the alt-right movement.

And all that doesn't even discuss personal morality.

Last edited by phetaroi; 06-10-2018 at 11:10 AM..

Old 06-10-2018, 09:57 AM

17,071 posts, read 10,918,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
"we don't sell to your kind." is just bad mojo.

but, can, should, they refuse to make a cake for a black supremacist group?

I mean "gay" yes, yo have to sell, I see that. but whats the line?
The "line" in law is legally protected groups specified because of historical and systematic discrimination. "Moral" lines are less specific.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality