Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2016, 03:40 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,919,895 times

Advertisements

I've been pretty harsh, and in my opinion, rightfully so, on the many recent transgressions involving Christian leaders.

Atheist's are not immune from those transgressions. This issue has not yet hit the news, and perhaps may not. Regardless, the same disdain and disgust I feel for those who are at fault as Christians, Muslims or any other religious sect, I feel the same disdain and disgust when a leader, one who was well recognized by the atheist community as such, is at fault.

Now, none of the issues have been proven in court... yet. However, there is significant documentation whereby those reading it can draw their own conclusions.

The person involved at the center of all this is Sarah Morehead. She was once a fundamentalist Southern Baptist, who became an atheist. She was the Executive Director of the Recovering from Religion organization, and later for Apostacon.

Rather then repeat the long documentation that certainly at the very least brings into question of how much money is missing, and what manipulations were involved, I will link to this page on Patheos instead.

On the rumors circulating about Sarah Morehead.

In summary, there are numerous unexplained actions that involve potentially over $50,000 dollars in funds that are unaccounted for, plus further questionable debit and credit card charges. All the documentation is in the link, as well as these two which provide additional information. Here is a statement on the website of Apostacon with regards to the matter:

Apostacon

And a direct link (also in the above statement) of unidentified bank transactions over and above the missing funds. A significant number are for Amazon.com purchases.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...FhKtsw51Q/edit

To top it all off, and whether it played a part in this or not, her husband was arrested an is being held in custody for sexually abusing children. Links detailing this are here:

Bellevue man faces additional charges of child sex assault | Local News - KETV Home

When news came out that her husband was arrested, the atheist communithy came together, and raised over $23,000 to help Sarah and her family out from the loss of income.

https://www.generosity.com/emergenci...mily-emergency

One wonders how much would have been raised if the details of the apparent defalcations were known at the time. One thing is for certain, one needs to feel very, very sorry for the children, who may well end up with both parents in jail.

The atheist community is not immune from scandal, and when it occurs, we should be as upfront in discussing it as we are when Christians go off the rails.

The difference is, I doubt any atheist is going to make excuses for the transgressor. Nor should they.

Yes, we know, everything is only an allegation at this point, but the documentaion speaks for itself. Draw your own conclusions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2016, 01:21 AM

11,026 posts, read 5,982,960 times
How about that! I could rep you.

No-one should be allowed to get away with such behavior. And you are right, no excuses for the transgressor!

Last edited by 303Guy; 04-29-2016 at 01:39 AM..

Old 04-29-2016, 01:36 AM

7,943 posts, read 6,065,872 times
As an agnostic who often sides with the rational use of logic by atheists: why are these rumors of monetary criminal behavior not being throughly investigated quickly and more harshly? The lid should be torn apart in this case and every inch of evidence scrutinized. Furthermore, what is it with these people getting over their heads and abusing children? Something aggressive and impactful must be done as soon as possible to bring to light all available evidence and put a stop to even the possibility of these horrendous crimes.

The more evidence that comes to light and the more we force these organizations and people to be open and out in the sunlight, the better off everyone will be.

Old 04-29-2016, 01:44 AM

Powerful post, LuminousTruth. You have stated how I feel but don't have the ability to express. I tend to say; "Nail the bastards!"

Last edited by 303Guy; 04-29-2016 at 02:32 AM..

Old 04-29-2016, 02:27 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,217,972 times
News to me that there is an atheist community.

Old 04-29-2016, 02:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Well yeah, I don't think of an 'atheist community'. Doesn't make any sense. Who are these people and why are they a 'community'?

Old 04-29-2016, 04:32 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Thanks for that. It was an Accident waiting to happen. Investigation and criminal charges (if justified) will be applied. No excuses. No cover -up. In fact, we would feel more aggrieved not just that our reli...cause was robbed, but betrayed.

Old 04-29-2016, 05:54 AM

17,792 posts, read 13,687,653 times
Nice preemptive strike. Jeff would have been licking his chops.

However, this is another thing I appreciate about being a non believer. Here we have non-believers doing bad/despicable things. We admit this. We can actually ponder and discuss as to whether a religious code of conduct or perhaps "personal relationships" with deities are helpful in making people behave in a manner that is best suited for society. We can form opinions and draw conclusions that may or may not be accurate.

What we DON'T DO is CLAIM that these people aren't "true atheists." And for this I am grateful.

Old 04-29-2016, 05:58 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
Well yeah, I don't think of an 'atheist community'. Doesn't make any sense. Who are these people and why are they a 'community'?
It's handy shorthand. There are a large number of atheists in the world. Millions. Thanks to the Internet, we are becoming aware, vocal and organized. That is the extent of the "Community".

P.s it occurred to me that A/A might have been more appropriate, but it is right that it should be here in general discussion.

Old 04-29-2016, 06:27 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,715,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Yep. I've never heard of any of these people before. Who are they again?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality