Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 12:26 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Sadly, I blame Osteen and other churches like him for the damage they've done to Christianity.
It's education. Well, it is in most of the developed world anyway. In America I'm not so sure. Christianity has had it's day. Yahweh and Jesus have a nice spot reserved for them on the dusty shelf labelled 'Mythology'....and not before time too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
So is it reasonably and logically correct to conclude that entire universe and whatever is in it, came together by chance?
...and your explanation for the universe is more logical and reasonable??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2016, 12:33 AM

6,115 posts, read 3,087,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
More intelligent? No. More superstitious, yes. That's why religion worked so much better in those days.

With science, I believe in a world of possibilities, by the way. We learn more and more, we know more and more, we create more and more and it is amazing and wonderful.

But what if I am more stupid than a serf? What does that have to do with religion for the purposes of this discussion? I'm not sure I understand the point. But sure, I may he less intelligent than some random person from the middle ages, if that's what you're curious about. (Shrug) My intelligence level doesn't change fact from being fact nor mythology from being mythology, I'm afraid.

Can you name a few things that humans thought were a myth or unrealistic or even impossible in the past, but our increasing knowledge of science (as you said, "more and more"), actually made it happen?

Old 04-30-2016, 12:48 AM

30,902 posts, read 32,998,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Can you name a few things that humans thought were a myth or unrealistic or even impossible in the past, but our increasing knowledge of science (as you said, "more and more"), actually made it happen?
Are you saying we're on the edge of creating God? "Made it happen"?

Can you name a few things that people once believed had mystical/magical/celestial origins, that turned out to have perfectly reasonable, scientific explantations? I can.

Old 04-30-2016, 02:38 AM

9,689 posts, read 10,015,913 times
You could see that if less people go to church , then there will be less faith , and if this is the Texas area were there are many storms like hurricanes will blow right through as God cannot stop them if faith has waned , and the liberal will blame climate change ......... Like the Houston area sees many storms usher in to tornado ally to the north east

Old 04-30-2016, 03:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post
You could see that if less people go to church , then there will be less faith , and if this is the Texas area were there are many storms like hurricanes will blow right through as God cannot stop them if faith has waned , and the liberal will blame climate change ......... Like the Houston area sees many storms usher in to tornado ally to the north east
Oh dear!! Really! It's this sort of mind-set that has made America the laughing stock of the world!

... and since when has an allegedly omnimax deity been 'unable' to do something?

Old 04-30-2016, 10:39 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hljc View Post

Comments like this put the "fun" in fundamentalist. And people like this are allowed to vote.

Old 04-30-2016, 11:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
And people like this are allowed to vote.
Yes. That has always worried me!

Old 04-30-2016, 11:40 AM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Sadly, I blame Osteen and other churches like him for the damage they've done to Christianity.
Christianity does a very good job of damaging it's image all on it's own.

What specifically has Osteen done to damage christianity?

Old 04-30-2016, 01:02 PM

19,995 posts, read 13,475,998 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
Christianity does a very good job of damaging it's image all on it's own.

What specifically has Osteen done to damage christianity?
Back in the day I would have accused Osteen of promulgating the Prosperity Gospel and a certain amount of moral relativism and a doctrine whose main criteria is generating "feelgood" for adherents rather than inspiring them to be Better People.

I am pretty sure that is the objection to Osteen you'll hear from most evangelicals. Not muscular enough, too soft on sin, appealing to people's greed rather than to their guilt, no call to holiness and separation from the "World".

Of course that is rather like asking why Chevy owners object to Ford owners when the real question is why American automobile manufacturing of the 1960's thru about the 1990s and arguably to today, produces craptastic products relative to many foreign competitors.

Except of course that the cars in this metaphor are all imaginary and exist only in the form of asserted dogma anyway ;-)

Old 04-30-2016, 03:51 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times
I am not a fan and really don't know that much about him other than his wife making a scene while on-board a Continental flight out of Houston.

I grew up in Houston attending concerts and shows at the Coliseum, the Coliseum was also home to the Houston Rockets...then Joel Osteen bought it and turned it into his mega church.

The Coliseum holds many fond memories for me. I enjoyed many shows, conventions, basketball games and concerts there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality