Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2016, 02:47 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,386,666 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Umm no because you are still a slave to the flesh and the sin natured flesh is very self centered. Most of your actions are emotion respond based. A born again Christian's actions are attuned to the will and pull of the Holy Spirit.
So for you, anyone not a Christian is very self centered.... Wow, how very small minded and ignorant of you. By the way you keep using "born again", I understand the way you act now.....

Quote:
Another example of the limitations of the human mind. It always has to be all or nothing with your understanding huh? I never said it was impossible for an atheist to act outside of self centeredness. I'm sure it happens sometimes, but the nature of sinful man means that most of the time, you are not. Your actions are emotion based.

Let's take a negative emotion for example. Fear. Fear is such a powerful emotion that it can literally paralyze someone. So now let's say the neighbor is someone that people fear. Let's say maybe this guy got in a horrible burn accident, and his face was melted and he looks like a monster. People stare at him in horror the few times he goes out. Others make fun of him. People go out of their way to avoid him, not help him. That's being self centered. A fear of looking at him. A fear of the unknown. Much easier to mind your business and let him stay a recluse. Or you really telling me that most atheists would gladly be a helpful neighbor? But God would call us to walk right through that fear and show love and kindness.

A lot of truth in this video that goes along perfectly with my illustration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LypjOTTH6E
See, to me that would not be fear, but disgust. They are very different things. Either way, if that man needed help, I would help him, looking like a monster or not. I have stepped in the line of fire (Not literally, but almost) for someone before, and I would do it again. You can search through for my story about the guy with the gun at the gas station if you wish.

My acts are not emotion based any more than yours. Born again or not. the fact that you think of atheists as nothing but big meanies who are always mean and self centered shows your ignorance.

My favorite song by the band Disturbed.... Hey you brought them into this.

"Can you feel that?
Ah, sh**

Drowning deep in my sea of loathing
Broken your servant I kneel
(Will you give in to me?)
It seems what's left of my human side
Is slowly changing in me
Looking at my own reflection
When suddenly it changes
Violently it changes (oh no)
There is no turning back now
You've woken up the demon in me

Get up, come on get down with the sickness
Open up your hate, and let it flow into me
You mother get up come on get down with the sickness
You fu**** get up come on get down with the sickness
Madness is the gift, that has been given to me

I can see inside you, the sickness is rising
Don't try to deny what you feel
It seems that all that was good has died
And is decaying in me
It seems you're having some trouble
In dealing with these changes
Living with these changes (oh no)
The world is a scary place
Now that you've woken up the demon in me

Chorus

(and when I dream)
No mommy, don't do it again
Don't do it again
I'll be a good boy
I'll be a good boy, I promise
No mommy don't hit me
Why did you have to hit me like that, mommy?
Don't do it, you're hurting me
Why did you have to be such a b****
Why don't you
Why don't you just f*** off and die
Why can't you just f*** off and die
Why can't you just leave here and die
Never stick your hand in my face again b****
F*** you
I don't need this ****
You stupid sadistic abusive f****** w****
How would you like to see how it feels mommy
Here it comes, get ready to die

Chorus"

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You listen to a lot of Disturbed, Jeff?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2016, 03:13 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
So for you, anyone not a Christian is very self centered.... Wow, how very small minded and ignorant of you. By the way you keep using "born again", I understand the way you act now.....
And yet your and your friends work hard to try and portray fundamentalist Christians as all scumbags, bigots and hypocrites. Maybe I am being unfairly judgemental but don't act like your side doesn't do it in equal force against us. I am only speaking to the condition of man's heart apart from God, but you have to personalize it.

Quote:

See, to me that would not be fear, but disgust. They are very different things. Either way, if that man needed help, I would help him, looking like a monster or not. I have stepped in the line of fire (Not literally, but almost) for someone before, and I would do it again. You can search through for my story about the guy with the gun at the gas station if you wish.
Well of course you would say that you would help the guy! In reality, most people would not.

Quote:

My acts are not emotion based any more than yours. Born again or not. the fact that you think of atheists as nothing but big meanies who are always mean and self centered shows your ignorance.

Well you would be the rare exception then if true...

Quote:

My favorite song by the band Disturbed.... Hey you brought them into this.

"Can you feel that?
Ah, sh**

Drowning deep in my sea of loathing
Broken your servant I kneel
It seems what's left of my human side
Is slowly changing in me
Looking at my own reflection
When suddenly it changes
Violently it changes (oh no)
There is no turning back now
You've woken up the demon in me

Open up your hate, and let it flow into me
You mother get up come on get down with the sickness
You fu**** get up come on get down with the sickness
Madness is the gift, that has been given to me

I can see inside you, the sickness is rising
Don't try to deny what you feel
It seems that all that was good has died
And is decaying in me
It seems you're having some trouble
In dealing with these changes
Living with these changes (oh no)
The world is a scary place
Now that you've woken up the demon in me

Chorus

(and when I dream)
No mommy, don't do it again
Don't do it again
I'll be a good boy
I'll be a good boy, I promise
No mommy don't hit me
Why did you have to hit me like that, mommy?
Don't do it, you're hurting me
Why did you have to be such a b****
Why don't you
Why don't you just f*** off and die
Why can't you just f*** off and die
Why can't you just leave here and die
Never stick your hand in my face again b****
F*** you
I don't need this ****
You stupid sadistic abusive f****** w****
How would you like to see how it feels mommy
Here it comes, get ready to die

Chorus"

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

You listen to a lot of Disturbed, Jeff?
I'm not really a fan. I don't like screaming vocals, but I do like this song (the video I posted) and the message.

Old 05-03-2016, 03:46 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,386,666 times
Quote:
And yet your and your friends work hard to try and portray fundamentalist Christians as all scumbags, bigots and hypocrites. Maybe I am being unfairly judgemental but don't act like your side doesn't do it in equal force against us. I am only speaking to the condition of man's heart apart from God, but you have to personalize it.
No, we do not. We say certain people with certain beliefs are bigots and hypocrites, but that is true. They portray themselves that way, so we don't need to. You are being quite unfair in your judgment. The fact that you claim you have NEVER met an atheist who was nice proves you are either lying, never met an atheist, or you ignore the good ones.

Quote:
Well of course you would say that you would help the guy! In reality, most people would not.
No, I have ACTUALLY helped people in danger, Jeff. Have you? I almost got shot for a woman and her children in a bad area of Memphis. See post #553 on the "The Bible-- Barbaric" thread....

Quote:
Exactly. I may not be a Christian, or even a believer for that matter, but I KNOW for a fact I would give my life for others if needed. I have been in a situation, in a former city of mine, where a man had a gun and was threatening to kill a woman for cutting him off to pull into a gas station. The lady had two kids in the back of her car, probably 2 and 4 years old, that were crying their eyes out. I chose to step between the man and the woman, and give her a chance to get out of the situation. She had just started pumping gas at the time, and managed to sling the pump out, jump in and take off while I distracted him. Luckily it turned out ok, as he turned out to be exactly what I thought he was, which is to say, a punk who won't do anything if he doesn't necessarily have the upper hand.

Point is, I did so without thinking about what would happen if he shot me, or where I would go if I died.
Tell, me, Jeff... What part of myself was I serving by doing such a thing? How selfish was it of me to do so? How self centered was it to help a woman and her children, whom I did not even know?

Quote:
Well you would be the rare exception then if true...
No, I would be the norm, Jeff.

Old 05-03-2016, 03:58 PM

7,595 posts, read 6,085,921 times
Well, this thread is interesting. We have Vizio over barking about how some pastor did some good deed for free. And of course Jeff, who seems to hate everyone on here in a Christian way.

Fact is, I admire anyone who helps out the neighbors. I have done many things to help out neighbors, not specifically involving dogs but I don;t do it with anything other than fixing a situation in mind.

Rather have a neighbor like Fishbrains than Jeff because the ones I have had like Fishbrains are the ones that will help out when there is a problem, whereas the ones like Jeff (which are few thankfully) just go around with a fake smile saying "Come to church with us" (See my thread "The neighborhood jerk" from a few years ago)

Non-Christians are always doing good deeds, but as one Christian fundy told me, a deed done in Christ's name is good, but the same deed done in any other name is evil.

Old 05-03-2016, 06:37 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,045,846 times
Quote:

Let's take a negative emotion for example. Fear. Fear is such a powerful emotion that it can literally paralyze someone. So now let's say the neighbor is someone that people fear. Let's say maybe this guy got in a horrible burn accident, and his face was melted and he looks like a monster. People stare at him in horror the few times he goes out. Others make fun of him. People go out of their way to avoid him, not help him. That's being self centered. A fear of looking at him. A fear of the unknown. Much easier to mind your business and let him stay a recluse. Or you really telling me that most atheists would gladly be a helpful neighbor? But God would call us to walk right through that fear and show love and kindness.
Jeff, I really am sorry that you hate and fear atheists so much.

I know that you probably won't believe me, but I offered a job to a severely disfigured person last week. She turned me down, but that doesn't mean that I wasn't prepared to interact with her on a relatively regular basis despite her unfortunate physical appearance.

I employ several people with developmental disabilities.

I spent 3 hours of my work day and committed to spending a fair bit of money to assist somebody. I wasn't compelled to do so, I had an easy out in avoiding the problem, yet I took on the project because it was the right thing to do.

I am not going to get any reward for this. Most of the people involved with these efforts don't know that I am an atheist and never will. I do it because I have empathy for other human beings and the ability to help.

Please rethink your bigoted judgment. Yes, bigoted fits, because you are judging a class of people (Atheists) based upon your preconceived notions and in defiance of all evidence.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:14 PM

15,860 posts, read 6,322,813 times
Quote:
Umm no because you are still a slave to the flesh and the sin natured flesh is very self centered. Most of your actions are emotion respond based. A born again Christian's actions are attuned to the will and pull of the Holy Spirit.

Another example of the limitations of the human mind. It always has to be all or nothing with your understanding huh? I never said it was impossible for an atheist to act outside of self centeredness. I'm sure it happens sometimes, but the nature of sinful man means that most of the time, you are not. Your actions are emotion based.

A lot of truth in this video that goes along perfectly with my illustration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_LypjOTTH6E

I'm tripping balls right now that Jeff is into Disturbed! That seriously made my day Jeff. Did you hear anything in The Sound of Silence?

You're a freaking butt munch (J/k I know you only respond when you tell someone off)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKNxeF4KMsY

Old 05-03-2016, 07:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
Jeff, I really am sorry that you hate and fear atheists so much.

I know that you probably won't believe me, but I offered a job to a severely disfigured person last week. She turned me down, but that doesn't mean that I wasn't prepared to interact with her on a relatively regular basis despite her unfortunate physical appearance.

I employ several people with developmental disabilities.

I spent 3 hours of my work day and committed to spending a fair bit of money to assist somebody. I wasn't compelled to do so, I had an easy out in avoiding the problem, yet I took on the project because it was the right thing to do.

I am not going to get any reward for this. Most of the people involved with these efforts don't know that I am an atheist and never will. I do it because I have empathy for other human beings and the ability to help.

Please rethink your bigoted judgment. Yes, bigoted fits, because you are judging a class of people (Atheists) based upon your preconceived notions and in defiance of all evidence.
Anecdotal evidence is not evidence, right? Oh wait, I guess that only is in play when it favors your position.

I'm sorry, but when atheists treat me like garbage in these discussions and I see them being insulting and demeaning to other Christians, you really think you are going to change my perspective with some feel good personal stories?

Here is the mantra from your group. "Respect must be earned before it is given". That certainly doesn't sound like unconditional willingness to help and treat others good now does it?

Old 05-03-2016, 08:15 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
Quote:
Anecdotal evidence is not evidence, right? Oh wait, I guess that only is in play when it favors your position.

I'm sorry, but when atheists treat me like garbage in these discussions and I see them being insulting and demeaning to other Christians, you really think you are going to change my perspective with some feel good personal stories?

Here is the mantra from your group. "Respect must be earned before it is given". That certainly doesn't sound like unconditional willingness to help and treat others good now does it?
So what respect do you expect from a group of people that according to you put no value on their lives or those of their love ones, are all liars and are always mean to Christians and are almost in capable of doing good things for any reason other than selfishness, have no morals and are always wrong because they disagree with you? We are not sub humans no matter how much you try to portray us as being of lower levels of thought compared to yourself. You show zero respect, heck not only do you show no respect but nothing but distain for all the atheists in the world.

We treat many of your comments like the garbage they are such as claiming we are trying to outlaw Christianity or that we want to force you to have SSM in your church. Perhaps you should show us how to respect other Christians, you know the ones who follow Jesus but do not worship the Bible. And as far as respect once again you managed to misrepresent us. I certainly do not see unconditional love from you to non Bible Believing Christians, in fact you attack them worse than you do atheist.

Old 05-03-2016, 09:29 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,181,167 times
Quote:

Thank you for once again demonstrating in no uncertain terms the non-thinking bigotry necessary for entrance to the Christian Fundie club.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Thank you for once again demonstrating in no uncertain terms the non-thinking bigotry necessary for entrance to the Christian Fundie club.
Stereotyping which you are doing here is the first sign of bigotry. Well done.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality