U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2016, 12:03 PM

10,202 posts, read 6,087,992 times

Advertisements

Alberta is my home province, and right now there is an apocalyptic disaster occurring, with a forest wild fire destroying the city of Ft. McMurray and forcing all 80,000 residents to evacuate. Some neighborhoods 80% of the home are gone.

What really frosts my butt is to see all the "Pray for Ft. McMurray" memes popping up on Facebook, Twitter etc., yet the one message they should be spreading is that if they are concerned, is that the Red Cross has set up a donation page.

Will they post that? Noooooo.... send imaginary thoughts to some entity, but will they spread the news to a real, on the ground organization that is set up for disasters, nope. Will they donate? Probably not, figuring they did their job sending out useless memes.

The Red Cross page:

https://donate.redcross.ca/ea-action...530.1462319317

CD members, this is the largest evacuation in Alberta's history. Many had to evacuate north of Ft. McMurray, where the next city is in Russia. Fortunately, the oil sand camps are taking people in, and last night two babies were born in one.

This is what it looked like last night, and today winds are expected to get worse.

Please, don't pray.

Do something real. The Red Cross are the go to people on stuff like this... help them out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2016, 12:07 PM

Location: Born in L.A. - NYC is Second Home - Rustbelt is Home Base
1,608 posts, read 741,110 times
Humans need their hopes. They are predisposed to making gods...

godfinder

Old 05-04-2016, 12:27 PM

5,917 posts, read 2,287,324 times
Adding the Red Cross info is a good thing. I am waiting to hear from my cousin and his young family. At least they have a place to stay when they get to Edmonton. If people wish to pray the first couple of days they hear the news that is fine but I do hope that all those who are sending prayers via Facebook or Twitter are indeed planning on doing something concrete as well. Fort McMurray is about the same size city as the one I live in and I cannot image the havoc of getting everyone out on Hwy 61 I think it is. At least it has been twinned in the last couple of years to make that slightly safer.

For those who think prayer works, pray for rain and no lightning.

Old 05-04-2016, 12:53 PM

32,532 posts, read 30,651,383 times
It's a horrifying thing. Having lived in the hills of So Cal I know exactly how destructive brush fires can be.

I pray AND support the charities that are there to help people affected by disasters. I know the good works done by what I call the "worker bees" during fire, flood, mudslide, earthquake....

Old 05-04-2016, 04:27 PM

8,101 posts, read 7,070,273 times
God can help , as He did not start the fire , but He does have things which will shorten the tragedy ........Please don`t tell people to not pray and ignore God .....If you don`t believe in God that is your business , but people who know God can be a bonus , as God can help , as God can close down confusion and even change the wind in a different direction if faith is engaged .............See a close friend of mine sister and her son and grand children live in Fr. Murray

Old 05-04-2016, 04:42 PM

19,950 posts, read 13,625,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
It's a horrifying thing. Having lived in the hills of So Cal I know exactly how destructive brush fires can be.

I pray AND support the charities that are there to help people affected by disasters. I know the good works done by what I call the "worker bees" during fire, flood, mudslide, earthquake....
^^^^ What she said.

Unfortunately, too many times "I'll pray for you...." is simply said by people that don't plan to pray, nor do they plan to do ANYTHING else. It's just something seen as nice to say.

Old 05-04-2016, 05:16 PM

6,791 posts, read 4,070,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Alberta is my home province, and right now there is an apocalyptic disaster occurring, with a forest wild fire destroying the city of Ft. McMurray and forcing all 80,000 residents to evacuate. Some neighborhoods 80% of the home are gone.

What really frosts my butt is to see all the "Pray for Ft. McMurray" memes popping up on Facebook, Twitter etc., yet the one message they should be spreading is that if they are concerned, is that the Red Cross has set up a donation page.

Will they post that? Noooooo.... send imaginary thoughts to some entity, but will they spread the news to a real, on the ground organization that is set up for disasters, nope. Will they donate? Probably not, figuring they did their job sending out useless memes.

The Red Cross page:

https://donate.redcross.ca/ea-action...530.1462319317

CD members, this is the largest evacuation in Alberta's history. Many had to evacuate north of Ft. McMurray, where the next city is in Russia. Fortunately, the oil sand camps are taking people in, and last night two babies were born in one.

This is what it looked like last night, and today winds are expected to get worse.

Please, don't pray.

Do something real. The Red Cross are the go to people on stuff like this... help them out.
The Red Cross...GREAT organization!

Thanx to Clara Barton...who founded it here in America at SAINT PAUL'S EVANGELICAL LUTHERN CHURCH here in NY State.
I wonder what they thought of praying there?

cupper (from his very evident position of bias, prejudice, and hatred toward anything *God* related) says "dont pray", just help proactively.
I have a better idea...do both.

Old 05-04-2016, 05:33 PM

10,577 posts, read 7,274,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
For those who think prayer works, pray for rain and no lightning.
Or sacrifice a chicken to a firefighting deity (if none exists, just make one up - that's how we get deities, after all).

I'm sure it would be every bit as effective.

Old 05-04-2016, 05:41 PM

10,202 posts, read 6,087,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
^^^^ What she said.

Unfortunately, too many times "I'll pray for you...." is simply said by people that don't plan to pray, nor do they plan to do ANYTHING else. It's just something seen as nice to say.
Exactly, and that is my source of frustration. There is real and on the ground things that can be done, such as the Red Cross. Or my son just phoning me telling me his advising his organization he would volunteer to assist means he is now heading up to set up an emergency response center. He is driving after an 8 hour day, won't get there till midnight, and expects to be working straight through the night and all day tomorrow.

Real, on the ground assistance.

Old 05-04-2016, 06:46 PM

2,260 posts, read 2,139,632 times
um cupper, wouldn't the next city to the north be Yellowknife? Last time I was there it was in NWT, not Russia.

As for the prayers comments - totally agree. Do something to help, donate or whatever; just praying is meaningless.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality