Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 01:44 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times

Advertisements

Here's a book for you Euse written by Bart Ehrman (a modern New Testament Scholar)

Jesus: Apocalyptic Prophet of the New Millennium

Quote:
Ehrman shows us what historians have long known about the Gospels and the man who stands behind them. Through a careful evaluation of the New Testament (and other surviving sources, including the more recently discovered Gospels of Thomas and Peter), Ehrman proposes that Jesus can be best understood as an apocalyptic prophet--a man convinced that the world would end dramatically within the lifetime of his apostles and that a new kingdom would be created on earth. According to Ehrman, Jesus' belief in a coming apocalypse and his expectation of an utter reversal in the world's social organization not only underscores the radicalism of his teachings but also sheds light on both the appeal of his message to society's outcasts and the threat he posed to Jerusalem's established leadership.
Interesting how non-bible worshipers know much more about the bible then the bible thumpers. Interesting how that works out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2016, 02:01 PM

17,966 posts, read 15,966,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
You respond just as a child would. I have posted all of my evidence. I can't make you read it. Go right ahead and whine and throw your usually childish behavior around in these posts as demonstrated here.
Oh poor baby. Didn't get your way again? You provided no proof that the majority of scholars believe Jesus was a failed prophet.

Now go to your room and don't come out until you can treat others with respect.

Old 05-16-2016, 02:06 PM

Quote:
Here's a book for you Euse written by Bart Ehrman (a modern New Testament Scholar)

Jesus: Apocalyptic Prophet of the New Millennium

Interesting how non-bible worshipers know much more about the bible then the bible thumpers. Interesting how that works out.
You just can't seem to make a post without inserting some kind of puerile put down.

He doesn't know more about the Bible than me. I know the Author.

Ehrman does not represent me or my beliefs. He is an unbeliever. And he is not a majority.

Last edited by Eusebius; 05-16-2016 at 02:15 PM..

Old 05-16-2016, 02:15 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,259,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
You just can't seem to make a post without inserting some kind of puerile put down.

Ehrman does not represent me or my beliefs. And he is not a majority.
He is a piece of the majority of modern New Testament scholars who also propose that Jesus can be best understood as an apocalyptic prophet.

The evidence is out there, but you are just too lazy to go look it up.

And if you did, you would not believe it anyway. You simply cannot handle reality when it files in the face of your personal beliefs. I get it. It's all I have seen from you since joining this forum.

There is no put down in recognizing that non-bible worshipers have much more knowledge about the bible then the bible thumpers. That's a fact that has been demonstrated time and time again in these threads. Again you simply can't handle the reality of this.

Old 05-16-2016, 02:23 PM

Quote:
He is a piece of the majority of modern New Testament scholars who also propose that Jesus can be best understood as an apocalyptic prophet.

The evidence is out there, but you are just too lazy to go look it up.

And if you did, you would not believe it anyway. You simply cannot handle reality when it files in the face of your personal beliefs. I get it. It's all I have seen from you since joining this forum.
I don't waste my time reading what unbelievers such as Bart have to say about Jesus.

He doesn't know the truth. He doesn't know Jesus. The Bible is not a book like any other book in that one can just read as an ordinary book and expect to know its secrets. I hate to break it to you but one having the title "scholar" does not prove one knows the deeper, hidden things of God in the Sacred Scriptures.

I handle reality on a daily basis.

Old 05-16-2016, 10:46 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
I don't waste my time reading what unbelievers such as Bart have to say about Jesus.
He doesn't know the truth. He doesn't know Jesus. The Bible is not a book like any other book in that one can just read as an ordinary book and expect to know its secrets. I hate to break it to you but one having the title "scholar" does not prove one knows the deeper, hidden things of God in the Sacred Scriptures.
I handle reality on a daily basis.
No, Eusebius, you don't. Reality is not amenable to your fables captured by primitives and recorded in a book. The phenomenon of unbridled religious belief in fables is a significant contributor to the evil in the world. To quote Voltaire: “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” That is the fundamental evil of retaining absurd religious fables as reality. We were warned many times against relying on fables.

1 Timothy 1:4
Neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which minister questions, rather than godly edifying which is in faith: so do.

1 Timothy 4:7
But refuse profane and old wives' fables, and exercise thyself rather unto godliness.

2 Timothy 4:4
And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

Titus 1:14
Not giving heed to Jewish fables, and commandments of men, that turn from the truth.

2 Peter 1:16
For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty.

Old 05-17-2016, 09:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
No, Eusebius, you don't. Reality is not amenable to your fables captured by primitives and recorded in a book. The phenomenon of unbridled religious belief in fables is a significant contributor to the evil in the world. To quote Voltaire: “Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.” That is the fundamental evil of retaining absurd religious fables as reality. We were warned many times against relying on fables.

Neither give heed to fables and endless genealogies, which minister questions, rather than godly edifying which is in faith: so do.

But refuse profane and old wives' fables, and exercise thyself rather unto godliness.

And they shall turn away their ears from the truth, and shall be turned unto fables.

Not giving heed to Jewish fables, and commandments of men, that turn from the truth.

For we have not followed cunningly devised fables, when we made known unto you the power and coming of our Lord Jesus Christ, but were eyewitnesses of his majesty.
The Jew, the apostle Paul, wrote those verses above warning against fables. He also wrote concerning the historic Adam and Eve quite extensively, and wrote about them as historic figures. Therefore he did not consider Adam and Eve or their creation and sin as a fable.

Old 05-17-2016, 04:32 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,087,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post

Quote:
The Jew, the apostle Paul, wrote those verses above warning against fables. He also wrote concerning the historic Adam and Eve quite extensively, and wrote about them as historic figures. Therefore he did not consider Adam and Eve or their creation and sin as a fable.
If he had written about one of Aesop's fables to illustrate a point would you assume then that he thought they were historical fact too??? Your belief in the fables is irrational, Eusebius.

Old 05-17-2016, 05:21 PM

17,795 posts, read 13,692,692 times
Quote:

All this secret holy spirit decoder ring approach does is allow you to rationalize the parts of the bible that are nonsensical, contradictory or inappropriate.

If you do in fact "know deeper, hidden things of God in the Sacred Scriptures" then give us an example. Toss out a verse and give us the "deeper, hidden" meaning. After all, you are supposed to be sharing the gospel with unbelievers. Perhaps if you would give us a few "deeper, hidden meanings" we might see that light.

Old 05-18-2016, 01:59 AM

11,019 posts, read 5,984,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddie gein View Post
All this secret holy spirit decoder ring approach does is allow you to rationalize the parts of the bible that are nonsensical, contradictory or inappropriate.

If you do in fact "know deeper, hidden things of God in the Sacred Scriptures" then give us an example. Toss out a verse and give us the "deeper, hidden" meaning. After all, you are supposed to be sharing the gospel with unbelievers. Perhaps if you would give us a few "deeper, hidden meanings" we might see that light.
Come on now Eusie, rise to the challenge. You can do it! You did say just a few posts back that "I know the author".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality