Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2016, 07:37 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,946,857 times

Advertisements

Do atheist believe in existence, and can they explain why we exist.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:41 PM

1,635 posts, read 1,946,857 times
Something caused existence to exist, I have no clue what it is either, but sentience is the only way we will ever figure it out.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:51 PM

10,081 posts, read 5,711,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Yes I suspected you would skip over my post.

So here are a few questions for you Jeff:
None of us will deny that there are posters who make it their hobby to put down Christianity. Of course there are people like that. I'm sure there may have been people who have been directly mean and nasty to you.
And yet I never ONCE seen someone on your side call another atheist on the carpet for being nasty like that. If you are going to remain silent then I am going to have the impression you support them.

Quote:

But please answer me this:
1. How is retaliating by behaving in exactly the same way as your attacker helping the situation? How is being blanket mean and nasty about all atheists and their children, helping the situation, when you
must know that what you are saying is not true? You are exacerbating the situation not helping it.
The difference is I absolutely believe it is true. Children of atheists have no hope in life. That's just a logical fact. OTOH, saying you have pity for this woman's children as if they are being abused is a baseless charge. The difference is I don't call people out by name and run down their personal character. I'll make general statements about atheists based on my experiences.

Quote:

2. How is what you are doing a Christian thing to do? Don't you think you should be the bigger person and behave like a good Christian?
If you are not a Christian, then how do you even know what a Christian is suppose to do? Was Jesus kind and gentle to the money changers in the temple? There is a time for kindness and compassion and there is a time to stand up against sin and distortions of the truth.

Quote:

Related to Petunias comment about a common denominator:

Some atheists and Christians on this forum get along great. Speaking for myself I have great respect for a number of theists on here. There are some Christians on here that I converse with by PM. I'm sure other atheists and Christians are doing the same thing. It is not the war zone between atheists and Christians you like to paint it. If you think it is then you are missing out on the bigger picture.
Over 90% of the threads here are hostile to Christianity and only Christianity. I've received Pms from other Christians who told me that they had to leave or stop posting because they were attacked the exact same way. I made a point of noting recently how one Christian was jumped on severely because he dared have an opposing position on the ex-rapist Christian and then was falsely branded as a rape supporter. If you honestly think I am the ONLY one who gets attacked here, you are either blind or being dishonest.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:56 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,615,219 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
So what now, I need to provide more examples? A thousand? A million? You would still refuse to acknowledge the ugliness that emanates from your side. I am 100% confident that if I left this board for a month, someone else would become the token whipping post.
I have not stated that no ugliness is ever aimed at Christians by atheists.

Old 05-16-2016, 07:59 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,615,219 times
Quote:

Over 90% of the threads here are hostile to Christianity and only Christianity. I've received Pms from other Christians who told me that they had to leave or stop posting because they were attacked the exact same way. I made a point of noting recently how one Christian was jumped on severely because he dared have an opposing position on the ex-rapist Christian and then was falsely branded as a rape supporter. If you honestly think I am the ONLY one who gets attacked here, you are either blind or being dishonest.
Over 90%? Just a few posts ago it was 100%. I'm beginning to think that your statistics are made up as you go along.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:07 PM

12,716 posts, read 7,783,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
This video has been making the rounds the past few days. If I was one of those kids of hers, I would want to crawl in the nearest dark hole or closet with embarrassment, but then, I think this is full out nut banger crazy.

The proper way to protest Target or not? Let's not forget, the disturbance she is causing is in private property, and as such, is her free speech can be curtailed.

https://youtu.be/vrJDMtDLPxM
Definitely a nutjob. I don't believe what she did should be illegal, but it is disturbing the peace and Target has every right to kick her out of the store and not let her back in. Her kids probably didn't have an option..they had to be there. My family is very similar to that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
Is there any mention of what church this woman belongs to? The look is very "Kim Davis" which makes me wonder what church is churning this product out.
I am going to guess Independent Fundamental Baptist.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:08 PM

19,841 posts, read 13,372,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narcissus23 View Post
Do atheist believe in existence, and can they explain why we exist.
Atheists see no valid reason to believe in any deities. They can believe or disbelieve in literally anything else and still be atheists. Atheism is a description of a very narrow belief position. Asking if atheists believe in anything other than one or more gods is like asking if people who don't play tennis believe in exercise. It's a non-sequitur.

If you're suggesting that theists are obliged to explain the origin of the universe or of life in order to justify their unbelief then you are making a number of presuppositions that aren't valid. Atheists tend to be empiricists and rationalists and do not feel uncomfortable sitting with uncertainty. Although there are hypothesis (even testable ones) about the origin of the universe and of life, we don't currently know the answers to those questions. What we DO know is that 100% of what we DO understand about reality has not required deities for an explanation and theology has not been demonstrated to have predictive power either. Instead we have come to understand that confirmation bias and agency inference are serious weaknesses of the human mind that have to be actively compensated for. Putting all this together, it seems unlikely that some sort of deity will be the explanation for the universe. Of course if evidence or logical argument arises to suggest otherwise we will adjust our thinking accordingly.

Positing a god as a creator or first mover solves nothing anyway. Which god would that be? Shiva? Zeus? Chthulu? Or a rather pointless god-concept such as the deists have? Absent or indifferent gods are for practical purposes no different than non-existent ones, unless you can propose a way to detect and prove their presence and interaction in the past or present. And then there is the infinite regress problem of who created god ... which isn't removed by special pleading arguments.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:13 PM

10,514 posts, read 6,135,416 times
Quote:
And yet I never ONCE seen someone on your side call another atheist on the carpet for being nasty like that. If you are going to remain silent then I am going to have the impression you support them.

The difference is I absolutely believe it is true. Children of atheists have no hope in life. That's just a logical fact. OTOH, saying you have pity for this woman's children as if they are being abused is a baseless charge. The difference is I don't call people out by name and run down their personal character. I'll make general statements about atheists based on my experiences.

If you are not a Christian, then how do you even know what a Christian is suppose to do? Was Jesus kind and gentle to the money changers in the temple? There is a time for kindness and compassion and there is a time to stand up against sin and distortions of the truth.

Never said you were the only one Jeff.

"Children of atheists have no hope in life". Your quote, again. Insulting, again.

You Jeff are the one without hope. I hope your god takes kindly to your nastiness.

Old 05-16-2016, 08:33 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,897,105 times
Quote:
..... Children of atheists have no hope in life. That's just a logical fact. OTOH, saying you have pity for this woman's children as if they are being abused is a baseless charge. The difference is I don't call people out by name and run down their personal character. I'll make general statements about atheists based on my experiences.
Children of atheists have no hope in life.

What exactly do you mean by that Jeff? In life? Or in death, where atheists know they will be little more than worm food, and don't believe in any afterlife.

My parents were atheists, but I went to a Catholic school for 7 years, because it was the only school district in town (in Canada both Catholics have the constitutional right to have public funded schools in some provinces). My second wife became very fundamentalist. I think I know about Christianity from first hand experience.

So, according to you, I have no hope in life. What does that mean? No hope of what? Getting married? Having kids? Grandkids? Please explain what you mean atheists have no hope. Material things? Family things? Money? Or what?

What do you mean that children of atheists have no hope?

Old 05-16-2016, 08:36 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,099,579 times
Quote:
The attack against me started on post #14.
If getting called a hypocrite bothers you Jeff, you can:

1) Ask the poster why he/she called you that.

2) Search your conscience and ask yourself if you are a hypocrite. Warning: that's hard work and you may not like the answer.

3) Suck it up like an adult. Warning: you must be an adult to do that.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.