Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2016, 11:43 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonkonkomaNative View Post
The good, the bad and the ugly of Christian fundamentalist ideologies should never be swept into the closet. We live in an age of transparency. Fundamentalist ideologies have been allowed to hide themselves for too long. I find Cupper refreshing in that regard.
Nothing wrong with reporting the news. But gleefully posting silly stories is tedious.
Quote:
PS-- You were posting about your good deeds yes? You run out of good deeds, or something? Three good deeds? That is all? Your Good Deeds for Christianity seems to have fallen to the wayside.
I'd be happy to post more, but I'm hindered from doing so. If you'd like clarification, please PM me and I'd be happy to explain.

Old 05-20-2016, 12:54 PM

6,961 posts, read 4,612,415 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Nothing wrong with reporting the news. But gleefully posting silly stories is tedious.

I'd be happy to post more, but I'm hindered from doing so. If you'd like clarification, please PM me and I'd be happy to explain.
Actually I am interested in why you are not posting your Good Deeds Thread.

Stating facts and truth should evoke glee. His posts are only as silly as the people he posts about.

Old 05-20-2016, 01:14 PM

4,491 posts, read 2,224,304 times
Quote:
Your side does all the time. You assign motives to us.

Having said that, I know what the OP is about. I know his game, and the stuff he posts. If you notice, my response was not that Cohen was wrong, or that he is some kind of bad guy. I did not comment about him -- but rather on the OP's silly habit of posting inflammatory posts.

I think that's the implication every time he posts one of these silly stories. He has an agenda -- and that is to suggest religion (specifically Christianity) is dying, and that it is irrelevant. He gleefully posts these stories.

I don't hate Cohen. I honestly don't know who the guy is. My beef is with the OP posting the same tedious stories over and over and over and over and over and over and over again. It's old. We all know the reason why he does it.
Ok, but if he's looking for a reaction, isn't your just saying 'why are you looking for a reaction' giving him exactly the reaction you claim he wants? Would it not be more productive to just engage in the discussion that could be had instead of forcing a different one?

I'm interested to hear what people think about the reaction this guy got. Is it justified? Is it not? If not, what should be done to prevent this in the future? What needs to change? These people who are threatening the man's children are not good people. They're doing something horrendously wrong. And these people probably have kids, and they'll have kids. And odds are, these people's parents and their grandparents weren't unwilling to behave in the same way. Should nothing be done to stop this cycle of hatred?

Old 05-20-2016, 01:26 PM

19,957 posts, read 13,450,937 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skepticratic View Post
I'm interested to hear what people think about the reaction this guy got. Is it justified? Is it not? If not, what should be done to prevent this in the future? What needs to change? These people who are threatening the man's children are not good people. They're doing something horrendously wrong. And these people probably have kids, and they'll have kids. And odds are, these people's parents and their grandparents weren't unwilling to behave in the same way. Should nothing be done to stop this cycle of hatred?
In any group there are going to be juvenile or just plain ugly people, but I am struck by the fact that the preponderance of fundamentalist response to his standing up and saying the right thing about Ugandans attempting to legislate the death penalty to gays, was vitriolic and ugly. Even allowing for the fact that people tend to be more vocal and aggressive about negative views, it seems quite skewed, particularly coming from Christians with their claims of superior morality and lovingkindness.

I am not sure what you mean about the elders of these objectors "weren't unwilling" as double negatives confuse me. Taken literally (two negatives make a positive) I assume you meant "were willing" and if so I would agree with that. The objectors were raised a certain way. Even a couple of generations ago people were far more open about their bigotry and otherizing of dissenters. And now with people like Trump legitimizing unconsidered and uncivil discourse, it gives people "permission" to regress back to the incrementally worse attitudes and behavior of previous generations, and even beyond.

As to solutions ... I don't see a way to prevent this that doesn't violate individual freedoms. It is not something to be controlled, but properly responded to. And I think this guy is a class act in how he's responding to it.

Old 05-22-2016, 12:47 AM

11,019 posts, read 5,976,518 times
Quote:

Stating facts and truth should evoke glee. His posts are only as silly as the people he posts about.
I enjoy cupper's posts. I do not enjoy the fact there is material for him to post about. Let's not shoot the messenger!

Besides, cupper's posts are the most popular on this sub-forum.

Old 05-22-2016, 12:50 AM

11,019 posts, read 5,976,518 times
Quote:

Quote:

I can accept that Vizio has good reasons not to post more. No explanations needed.

Old 05-25-2016, 07:26 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,597,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Those of you who have listened to Michael Coren's commentary on conservative shows know there is no question he is conservative, and little question he is Christian. I've yelled at the radio many times when listening to him.

However, he has had a change of heart on the same sex issue. He mentions John Baird, who was the well respected Foreign Minister for Canada, who happened to be gay, as a pivotal reason for his change of mind. Worth listening to.

"As my faith strengthened, my social perspectives became more liberal".

Michael Coren on changing his mind about same-sex marriage - Home | The Next Chapter with Shelagh Rogers | CBC Radio
Most moderate religions will change as people accept gay marriage, transgender issues, because they are in fact, when you get down to it, a business for a God. They need people to attend, to pay, so yes, they will all come around if that's what their customers want.

Supply and demand!

Old 05-25-2016, 09:20 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,168,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Most moderate religions will change as people accept gay marriage, transgender issues, because they are in fact, when you get down to it, a business for a God. They need people to attend, to pay, so yes, they will all come around if that's what their customers want.

Supply and demand!
I think there's something to that, fer sure.

I know in Canada, there's probably not a community anywhere that doesn't have a church happy to marry same sex folks.

And yet there are very many churches which would not perform such a wedding.

But choice abounds and everybody's fine with that.

It's great living in a free country!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality