Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-24-2016, 02:33 PM

35,095 posts, read 51,109,197 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
You did not offend me in any way shape or form. You only offended yourself and those of your flock.
You should learn to develop more emotional maturity and knowledge when it comes to understanding our freedom of speech rights.
Taking offense by what others think is a sure sign that you need to work on yourself.
On that note this one is for you and Viz and any other oppressive mentality bible thumper.
Perhaps you should learn to expand your knowledge base when it comes to understanding our freedom of speech rights. If you would read and understand the constitution you would find this which may help your emotional maturity move forward:

The fighting words doctrine, in United States constitutional law, is a limitation to freedom of speech as protected by the First Amendment to the United States Constitution. In 1942, the U.S. Supreme Court established the doctrine by a 9–0 decision in Chaplinsky v. New Hampshire.

https://www.thefire.org/misconceptio...rds-exception/

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fighting_words
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-24-2016, 02:37 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,231,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSD610 View Post
Perhaps you should learn to expand your knowledge base when it comes to understanding our freedom of speech rights. If you would read and understand the constitution you would find this which may help your emotional maturity move forward
You really think I don't understand our constitutional rights when it comes to freedom of speech?

It's clear that you could not connect the dots of Viz trying to tell me and other scientists or anti-theists that we have no right or no business being in the Religion and Spirituality forum. Get a clue!

If you religious fundies had it your way all non-theists, non-christians and all scientists would have no rights especially freedom of speech rights. Thank GOD/Universe/Alhah/All That Is/Buddha, or whatever you want to call it, that Ted Cruz did not make it. That would have resulted in another civil war because his aim was to take us back into the oppressive ways of living 2000 years ago.

The fudies are getting crazy in the US today. First we see a Kentucky marriage licence county clerk oppressing gays, Next, Tennessee trying to make the bible their official state book and now Oklahoma trying to make abortion a felony. Fundies watch out because the US is not going to allow you to take us back to the oppressive ways of christianity.

Last edited by Matadora; 05-24-2016 at 03:02 PM..

Old 05-24-2016, 02:55 PM

2,446 posts, read 1,381,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooby Snacks View Post
Ah, but there's the rub. 1/3 of the world SAY they are Christian. There's a big difference between saying you're a Christian and actually being a Christian. What is this difference, you ask? I don't know, nor do most Christians, because what makes a Christian depends on whose opinion you're seeking. There are the Christians in name only. I suspect this accounts for most of them. Those are the ones who never go to church, don't know where their Bible is (assuming they own one,) and only call out God's name during sex.

Then there are Christians who go to church every now and then, maybe throw a dollar or two in the offering plate, pray once in a while, and that's it. Are they Christians? Probably not. But no one can really think of the Christians in name only as Christians.

One step on from that are the regular churchgoers who sincerely seek God's will in their lives (whatever that is) and live life according to their idea of the tenets of the Bible. One could logically argue such people are Christians. But what percentage of this third of the world's population actually do these things regularly? Probably 20% or fewer of that third. No matter how many people are truly "practicing Christians," it doesn't change the fact that these individuals are praying to a silent, invisible (and some would claim imaginary) being, thus are incapable of having a "real" relationship with such a being. Relationships are reciprocal, and one cannot have a reciprocal relationship with a wall.
Could not have said it better, Scooby. The fact is, whether they deny this or not, the percentage of actual Christians is far lower than what the stats say. Hell, I know 2 people that I work with, that if asked by a Christian, will tell them they are Christian. They even go to church periodically to appease their mothers, who are very religious. Both of them are actually atheists, but they are afraid of saying it to people who know their family because they know problems would arise. From the religious side, of course. The only reason I know they are, is because I am not scared of saying who I am or what I believe, so they know I am a non believer, and have confided in me about it.

The sad thing is, here in the south at least, a lot of people feel that way. They know that they would lose friends and family members by simply admitting they don't believe. They would lose a good portion of their social circle, for simply saying, "I am an atheist". I find it abhorrent that the other so called Christians treat non Christians so badly that they are afraid to admit to not believing.

Old 05-24-2016, 02:58 PM

Christianity is a failed religion and I have known this since I was a small child being sent to Sunday school. I knew what they were teaching was not right. Nothing about it sounded or felt right. Thankfully my parents did not force it on me....even if they did it would not have indoctrinated me. The Universe has always been my protector!

Attached Thumbnails
The whole "personal relationship" with Jesus thing is delusional-521933_166249026876833_1388171153_n.jpg  

Old 05-24-2016, 03:01 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,138,641 times
Quote:
Christianity is a failed religion and I have known this since I was a small child being sent to Sunday school. I knew what they were teaching was not right.
I think that accurately describes some people, yes. But how do you know that about all Christians?

Old 05-24-2016, 03:07 PM

4,976 posts, read 7,351,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinEden99 View Post
You can certainly know things about them and the things which they do...and you might strongly appreciate them. But knowing them personally, as people and not just what they projected into their works, is many times very different.

And there are limitations on how well you can know people from afar, and indeed even close by such as from your own household. But the idea that what you might "love" from afar is the author (in this example), as opposed to the works of the author, is what I was speaking to. We all might love the works of Hemingway, but many may be quite turned off from the reality of the man.
I don't think you can so easily divorce the works of Hemingway from the man. His works are a part of him. Without those you would not even know about him. Through someone's writings we can know, relate to, and value something in them, and that to me is a relationship.

For me as a musician I definitely see myself personally connected to the composers whose works I perform, a feeling that I am channelling something that originated in their brains, entering my brain and coming out through my hands. It is a very intimate feeling, and there is a sense also of responsibility to the intentions of the composer which involves a lot of respect for their talents (which I call "love" also). I even feel a connection to other musicians of the past and present who have interpreted the same music. There is a lot more going on than meets the eye (or ear).

Old 05-24-2016, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I think that accurately describes some people, yes. But how do you know that about all Christians?
Because I have lived my entire life in the US and every christian I have come across is lost in the delusions that your religion teaches. Plus there are so many forms and interpretations of christianity that you guys can't even agree among yourself. Talk about unenlightened chaos.

These are the main delusions.
  • You must believe in what we teach you in order to go to heaven.
  • There is only one way to develop spiritually and it our way!!!!!
  • You must not worship any other religion or you go to hell and suffer there for eternity.
  • You must believe Jesus is the son of god and died for our sins therefore you must worship him.
  • You were born a sinner.
  • god created man, woman, earth and all the planets...i.e. Genesis is fact.
  • You have no control of your destiny in life it's all gods plan.
  • You must obey our god. Our god is all powerful, all knowing and all good.
  • You are a special little snowflake if you ascribe to all of the above.

Old 05-24-2016, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
There is a condition called objectophilia which means that people think they have a relationship with an inanimate object such as a building or a car or train. It goes beyond mere aesthetic appreciation; they love the object and think the object actually loves them back. If that's not delusional. I don't know what is.

I don't see how having a personal relationship with a dead invisible person is any different. Thinking that this person actually interacts with you, knows you and loves you.
If anybody can explain to me why it's different, I'm all ears.
I think there is a "condition" also when people cannot distinguish between inanimate objects and human beings who are no longer living. Certainly you can distinguish between your dead grandmother and a car. You probably didn't bury your car.

Old 05-24-2016, 03:18 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,138,641 times
Quote:
Because I have lived my entire life in the US and every christian I have come across is lost in the delusions that your religion teaches. Plus there are so many forms and interpretations of christianity that you guys can't even agree among yourself. Talk about unenlightened chaos.
I have no problem defining Christianity. The non-Christians of this board though, have fits when I do so. It's weird though, the Christians are fine with it.

Weird. I've known a lot of Christians in the 20+ years I've been a Christian and I have known some with some issues, but I've known a lot of good people.
Quote:
These are the main delusions.
  • You must believe in what we teach you in order to go to heaven.
  • Silly us. We believe what God said. What's the point of practicing a religion you don't believe in?
    Quote:
  • There is only one way to develop spiritually and it our way!!!!!
  • I don't know what you mean by "develop spiritually", but I can tell you that I happily consider other Christians that worship in many denominations to be my Christian brothers and sisters. I spent this past weekend visiting a Baptist Church 7 hours from my home.
    Quote:
  • You must not worship any other religion or you go to hell and suffer there for eternity.
  • That's what God said...so again....why claim to be of the religion if you don't believe what it teaches?
    Quote:
  • You must believe Jesus is the son of god and died for our sins therefore you must worship him.
  • See above.
    Quote:
  • You were born a sinner.
  • See above.
    Quote:
  • god created man, woman, earth and all the planets...i.e. Genesis is fact.
  • See above.
    Quote:
  • You have no control of your destiny in life it's all gods plan
  • See above.
    Quote:
  • You are a special little snowflake if you ascribe to all of the above.
I have no real idea what you mean by "special little snowflake". Could you elaborate?

Old 05-24-2016, 03:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Then you are using the phrase "personal relationship" to describe something other than a personal relationship. You are conflating relating to the creative output of a person with having a relationship with the person themselves. Or as a Buddhist would put it, the finger pointing at the moon, is not the moon.

Are you perchance a student of bUU? Because your MO is quite similar.
I don't know who that is. I do not make a habit of visiting this forum.

Clearly my idea of what a "personal relationship" is, is much broader and more inclusive than the narrow definition you are limiting yourself to.

A person's creative output is not the equivalent of a finger pointing back at them. Unless they created that finger. That much should be obvious.

But the whole premise of this thread is silly and unoriginal (thank you Dawkins). There is no science to support the statement that a "personal relationship with Jesus" qualifies as a "delusion." No practicing psychiatrist, counselor, or mental health professional would be able to keep their license for very long if they diagnosed all clients as "delusional" who claim to have a "personal relationship with Jesus." Get over it already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality