Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-31-2016, 12:38 PM

18,490 posts, read 9,151,071 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
The most common belief at the time was Christianity, after all.

Many were deist. Many were Christian. But they did believe in freedom to worship as they pleased, with no interference from the federal government.
How is the federal government interfering with your freedom to worship as you please?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2016, 12:42 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,136,004 times
Quote:
I believe the states have the right to legislate accordingly. The Constitution limits the Federal government, not the state. If Nebraska gets too messed up that I don't like it here, I can move to Iowa, or Kansas, or elsewhere.
A state cannot enact laws that violate the Consitution. (Supremacy Clause)

You need do more learnin.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Agreed. We have the right to worship as we please. I'm not denying that. But the Constitution says nothing about a state allowing for free exercise of a religion.

Oh for Pete's sake!!! : smack:

Old 05-31-2016, 12:44 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,180,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
How is the federal government interfering with your freedom to worship as you please?
I haven't really suggested they are, have I?

This branch of the thread started with the accusation that Christianity was just a white man's religion that was trying to wipe out other cultures and peoples. I made the point that our nation was founded with the idea that Christianity is allowed, and we have a right to free expression of it. That does mean that if a state wants to allow it, sometimes Christianity may have a louder voice than others.

On the other hand, if a large population of Muslims were living in an area, such as Dearborn, MI...the state of Michigan can allow those Muslims to practice their religion as they want, and I have no right to tell Michigan how to legislate.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:48 PM

Quote:

This branch of the thread started with the accusation that Christianity was just a white man's religion that was trying to wipe out other cultures and peoples.

Do you deny that for centuries that was exactly its agenda?

Old 05-31-2016, 12:53 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms.Mathlete View Post
Seriously, it's like claiming Columbus and Ovando were missionaries
Viz, like most far-right, states' rights fundamentalists, has some very odd ideas about the founding of our country and the Constitution.

I sometimes wonder if they all slept through their junior high school classes on civics and history.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebnllnb View Post
Do you deny that for centuries that was exactly its agenda?
I understand that men who claimed Christianity have misused it for that. But no--that's not what Christ taught, or the Bible.

Old 05-31-2016, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Viz, like many far-right, states' rights fundamentalists, has some very odd ideas about the founding of our country and the Constitution.

I sometimes wonder if they all slept through their junior high school classes on civics and history.
I'm quite aware of what the Constitution actually says -- not just what some liberal minded folks think it says.

Old 05-31-2016, 01:00 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
I'm quite aware of what the Constitution actually says -- not just what some liberal minded folks think it says.
Uh, huh. You've told us all about that. Reading your posts is like a free trip in the Way Back machine to the days of segregation. All the people who held up their Bibles and said black Americans had to sit in the back of the bus shared your "awareness". Now, in 2016, the people who share your "awareness" want to discriminate (in the name of Jesus and their version of Christianity) against the LGBTQ.

Last edited by DewDropInn; 05-31-2016 at 01:24 PM..

Old 05-31-2016, 01:03 PM

Quote:

This Constitution, and the Laws of the United States which shall be made in Pursuance thereof; and all Treaties made, or which shall be made, under the Authority of the United States, shall be the supreme Law of the Land; and the Judges in every State shall be bound thereby, any Thing [sic] in the Constitution or Laws of any State to the Contrary notwithstanding.

States are not free to enact legislation in violation of the Constitution. Period. End of story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality