Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 05:31 PM

12,918 posts, read 16,863,190 times

Advertisements

If people are convinced that hell is the bigger danger, it gives them license to avoid living and contributing to their earthly existence, and gives them license to hate.

People who believe in that nonsense should just get it over with and translate themselves into their eternal paradise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2016, 06:58 PM

17,796 posts, read 13,687,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Can you post the links to this research?
There is certainly no shortage of non credible people masquerading as "scientists" when it comes to the topic of climate change.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:29 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,137,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
When you work for the benefit of humanity, you automatically increase your chances of getting God's blessing.

I wonder how Gandhi feels about this assertion while he burns in Hell.

Old 06-09-2016, 07:45 PM

4,529 posts, read 5,137,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I believe the research I've read. Don't you?

The polar ice caps are growing. The earth is not getting warmer.
Tell that to the people of Bangladesh. How can you possibly explain away the surge in atmospheric CO2 levels? Which are by the way at the highest levels in recorded history.

Old 06-10-2016, 03:10 PM

23,148 posts, read 10,445,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
I have been informed that there are some significant dangers facing humanity. One is Hell: a place of never ending torture by the Christian God after death. Another is global climate change due to fossil fuel emissions.

My question is this: which threat is greater? Should we focus our energies on saving people from Hell or fixing climate change? And why?

The greatest threat is the Bema judgment, and I believe this to be a valid threat in my lifetime. A day will come that suddenly 90 percent of Christians are going to die. Wonder what the statistic are. You take every religion based on the New Testament and 90 percent suddenly die, but only the Christians. I don't believe in a hell like most Christians but that the separation from God is a sort of hell, and that separation will happen one day. That is, in my opinion.

Old 06-11-2016, 06:46 AM
bUU

12,074 posts, read 10,704,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matadora View Post
This is beyond disturbing! How did the US become one of the most ignorant countries in the world?
Did it "become" ignorant? Or did it start ignorant, just like most of the rest of the western world, and then different areas became less ignorant at different rates, with the United States falling behind in regard to this one aspect (among some others), while other nations have progressed faster away from ignorance on this one aspect (and perhaps some others)? While we've seen some minor regression over the last thirty five years, generally speaking the United States has been progressing nicely since its inception, on matters of this sort. It isn't even clear to me that this local nadir represents a statistically significant variance in direction from that of the nations that are currently further ahead. There hasn't been enough time that has passed, yet, to know that.

Quote:
There is no doubt that it's our education system.
Incorrect. Just the opposite. Where the tendency toward ignorance manifests in the education system it is a matter of note, highlighted due to its rarity. Furthermore, where the tendency toward ignorance manifests in the education system it can practically always be directly tied to what is going on outside the education system in that local area, either a malady within the community or within family life at home, or a combination of both - and typically related to religious fundamentalism to some extent.

The education system is not the source of the problem, and therefore the remedy does not come from there. Rather, the source of the problem is the hearts and minds of those beholden to even tinges of fundamentalist thought. Education can help people to find their own way, but that's only if society delivers to the education system students with minds open to what education has to teach.

You and I know the truth. I don't know about you but I learned that truth in the education system. So what is needed there is there. The difference between me and the people who didn't learn from the education system what you're highlighting wasn't the education - it was the people.

Quote:
Tyson cites that the educational system is flawed for it allows for people to graduate into adulthood even without knowing the difference between what is true and what is not true about the world.
Tyson is a great guy, but his vision on this matter is obscured a bit. Either that or he knows what I'm saying, and realizes that as a public figure (rather than an anonymous poster on a discussion forum) he'd face a firestorm of criticism that would undercut any good he could do with his notoriety, if he acknowledged and tried to rectify the root of the problem as I've expressed it above.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality