Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-25-2016, 03:02 PM

11,761 posts, read 7,257,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
Yes I have. I have spoken to every single man who has ever gone to a strip club.
You already demonstrated in another thread that you need to seek professional help. Now you can add to the symptoms that you are delusional as well. Show them this post as well as the other disturbing posts of yours.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-25-2016, 03:10 PM

12,595 posts, read 6,649,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clintone View Post
Yes I have. I have spoken to every single man who has ever gone to a strip club.
Hey Ol' Buddy...where ya been? The girls miss you!

Old 06-25-2016, 03:14 PM

63,798 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Hey Ol' Buddy...where ya been? The girls miss you!
You are a trip, Gldn!

Old 06-25-2016, 05:08 PM

10,688 posts, read 7,711,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
So we should ignore one problem that has a clear solution in favor of another? That's what your side does. Instead of admitting that there is a problem, you just to deflect by shifting the blame elsewhere.

The 7 deadly sins isn't even in the Bible, but this verse is:

"Don't you realize that those who do wrong will not inherit the Kingdom of God? Don't fool yourselves. Those who indulge in sexual sin, or who worship idols, or commit adultery, or are male prostitutes, or practice homosexuality" 1 Corinthians 6:9
Your problem is seeing the world as "sides." Christ followers see ALL people as living in God's world--and to be treated by other than fundamentalist BS. Following Christ is not about attacking 'sin'--it's about living an exemplary life that others wish to imitate.

Get a bible education, sonny. You badly need it.

Old 06-25-2016, 07:24 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,216,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I'd suggest you get a new translation. As the apostle wrote it in Greek it was clear that he was referring also to homosexuals.
really? then why do 9 out of 10 translations NOT use homosexuality?

Although "homosexual" is a very common translation, it is almost certain to be inaccurate:

If Paul wanted to refer to homosexual behavior, he would have used the word "paiderasste." That was the standard Greek term at the time for sexual behavior between males.

The second term is "arsenokoitai" in Greek. The exact meaning of this word is lost. It seems to have been a term created by Paul for this verse. "Arsen" means "man" in Greek. So there is no way that "arsenokoitai" could refer to both male and female homosexuals.

It seems that the English translators gave in to the temptation to widen Paul's condemnation to include lesbians as well as gay males.

Unfortunately, the term "homosexual" is commonly defined in two different ways: as a behavior (engaging in same-sex activity) or as a sexual orientation (being sexually attracted only to members of the same sex). Most of the biblical translations appear to refer to behavior rather than orientation.

Homosexuality in the Christian Scriptures
One of the "clobber passages"

Old 06-25-2016, 08:17 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,919,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeall View Post
I'd really like to see the fundamentalists respond to your post.
My suspicion, based on past performance, is that any response will either deflect, be obtuse, or both. I actually don't think I will get any sort of cogent response.

Old 06-25-2016, 09:21 PM

6,793 posts, read 2,904,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I'd suggest you get a new translation. As the apostle wrote it in Greek it was clear that he was referring also to homosexuals.
From out of the entire Bible one word, arsenokoitai, a (Greek?) word apparently invented by Paul, has been specifically singled out by anti-gay 'Christians' to bolster their vicious campaign against homosexual people.

Yes, one previously unknown, obscure and therefore ambiguous 'made-up' word from the entire Bible! One word ...arsenokoitai! A word invented and used by a mere mortal ...Paul! Paul ...the Evangelical Church's new and improved Jesus! When Paul speaks ...God speaks!

Because this one previously unknown word has been 'conveniently' deciphered by modern-day Christianity to mean 'homosexuality' and is also supposed to be a condemnation of homosexuality, gay Christians are expected to either somehow 'revert' to their 'original heterosexual status' or otherwise remain celibate for the rest of their lives! You see, there are many Christians who, in their ignorance, believe that gay people are merely feigning their (homo)sexuality ...that they are really nothing other than deviant heterosexuals! Moreover, it's these same ignorant people who also claim to have GOD on their side!

And, it would appear that some guilt-ridden gay Christians, having been made to feel so by their 'loving' Christian brothers and sisters, actually believe that "God" hates them 'as is' and have therefore been coerced into living a lifetime of self-recrimination and misery.

Do you have any qualms* about any of this, Vizio? Any at all?

*qualms ...uneasy feelings of doubt, misgivings, worry, or fear, especially about one's own conduct.

Old 06-26-2016, 12:44 AM

10,688 posts, read 7,711,531 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeall View Post
I'd really like to see the fundamentalists respond to your post.
cupper is quite correct in his assessment you quoted. The writers of the OT were a part of the larger society and quite aware of the previous creation stories. They borrowed and put their own spin on things.

A good read that illustrates this is entitled Inspiration and Incarnation by Peter Enns. In it he describes the problem that evangelicals have with the OT writings. It became a personal problem for Enns as he IS an evangelical--but one with a brain.

From a review of the book (which was updated in 2011, I believe):
Quote:
Enns had been Professor of Old Testament and Biblical Hermeneutics at Westminster Seminary, one of the long-standing seminaries in the reformed tradition. No doubt some are aware of how his 2005 release of Inspiration and Incarnation caused some problems within Westminster. It initially led to the seminary president’s conducting faculty meetings over a 2-year period, discussing the nature of the book. This ended with a faculty vote of whether or not the book fell within the parameters of the Westminster Confession Faith. Though the faculty vote was in favour of Enns being within the bounds of the Westminster Confession, the decision was handed over to the Board of Trustees, which ultimately decided to suspend Enns from his position. A few months later, the seminary and Enns decided to part ways, with 9 trustees subsequently resigning from the board.

Peter Enns is now Senior Fellow, Biblical Studies with the Biologos Foundation.

So, as one can see in these brief words above, Enns book has caused somewhat of a stir within evangelicalism. I was probably somewhat predisposed to take the view that Enns’ book would be an insightful and helpful work with which Christians can engage on discussion surrounding questions and ‘problematic’ texts within Scripture. One, I had already begun to rethink some things in regards to the nature of Scripture and, secondly, it had been recommended to me by a friend who I had engaged with about the doctrine of Scripture, we have similar views. And, though I acknowledge my predisposition, I still confess that this is an extremely well-written, scholarly, yet down-to-earth and not-too-lengthy, 173-page book.

First off, Enns is an evangelical conservative in all matters of the historic, orthodox Christian faith. And he affirms the God-breathed and authoritative nature of Scripture as the word of God. This is why I believe it is a solid book for evangelicals to interact with as they rigorously grapple with the ‘problems’ that arise when academically studying the Scripture text.
https://prodigalthought.net/2010/09/...w-part-1-of-2/

Enns, early in the book, makes this intriguing statement:

as Christ is both God and human, so is the Bible

Quote:
This way of thinking of Christ is analogous to thinking about the Bible. In the same way that Jesus is – must be – both God and human, the Bible is also a divine and human book. Although Jesus was “God with us,” he still completely assumed the cultural trappings of the world in which he lived. In fact, this is what is implied in “God with us.” Perhaps this is part of what the author of Hebrews had in mind when he said that Christ was “made like his brothers in every way” (Heb 2:17). Jesus was a first-century Jew. The languages of the time (Hebrew, Greek, Aramaic) were his languages. Their customs were his customs. He fit, he belonged, he was one of them. So, too, the Bible. It belonged in the ancient worlds that produced it. It was not an abstract, otherworldy book, dropped out of heaven. It was connected to and therefore spoke to those ancient cultures.
same source

Rather than have hearts that can grow, the fundamentalists who are completely uncomfortable with spiritual question marks, refuse to entertain any idea other than God was whispering in the ears of men as they set the words down---regardless that there are more errors in the NT than there are words indicating the touch of humanity is quite evident in the "holy" book.

I recommend the book for honest christians of all persuasions. Liberals will see something other than a mangled text and right wing religious extremists such as those on this forum may have an opportunity to "think" for a change.

Old 06-26-2016, 06:45 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,587,630 times
Another book which highlights how the Bible has many of the same stories as other faiths is The Pagan Christ by Tom Harpur. I read this when I was in seminary... it certainly allowed me to ask a whole series of questions others didn't like to hear.

The one that got the most shock and awe was:

How do we know Jesus was really a God and not some corner evangelist with a great PR machine? Prof loved it and our class spent 90 minutes discussing it.

Old 06-26-2016, 11:01 AM

24,260 posts, read 14,203,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Nice job ignoring my point. Let me reiterate. The push and FOCUS in the last two years was completely on gay marriage. That's all we heard about as if that was the last bastion to complete happiness. You behave like they are the only group on the planet that matters. There are other groups like the Native Americans that face far more present day discrimination.
Do you realize that ENDA has been trying to get through congress since 1994?
Yeah, we have been trying to get equal protection on all fronts for quite a while now, but marriage came up first since it was a court case and didn't rely on congress doing something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality