Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2016, 09:33 PM

4,851 posts, read 2,282,175 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
They don't have a problem serving homosexuals. They just don't want to get involved in a sinful ceremony on any level. Has nothing to do with the person. Why is that so hard to understand?

Because your claim is a lie .Why would you object to announcing your stance publicly ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2016, 09:34 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
Quote:
They don't have a problem serving homosexuals. They just don't want to get involved in a sinful ceremony on any level. Has nothing to do with the person. Why is that so hard to understand?
Here's what's easy to understand: some Christians have such convoluted ideas they believe cake is part of a wedding ceremony.

Well...it's easy for most people. The people who think cake is part of a wedding ceremony will never get it. That little mind trick, which only they believe because it's absolute nonsense, is what allows those Christians to condemn same-sex couples and say, "No cake for you!"

Last edited by DewDropInn; 06-18-2016 at 09:43 PM..

Old 06-18-2016, 09:41 PM

I really don't want to let Jeff sidetrack this into another endless debate on homosexual weddings and the poor mistreated little bigots .

Jeff, back to the OP. Do you really think that continually claiming that people not following your religious rules are sinners isn't trying to tell them how to live their lives ? Would you honestly claim that you didn't consider the Muslim neighbor continually telling you how you and your family are sinning and mocking God because your female family members arent wearing hijabs , and protesting you cooking pork ribs every weekend wouldnt involve him trying to tell you how to live your life ?

Old 06-18-2016, 09:58 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I've never said I have the right to condemn a non-Christian. Nor have I ever advocated for a religious state. But that doesn't help your narrative, does it?
Do you support ANY law(s) that are SOLELY based on RELIGIOUS PRINCIPLES??

Old 06-18-2016, 10:08 PM

63,775 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Do you support ANY law(s) that are SOLELY based on RELIGIOUS PRINCIPLES??
Of course he does. The Defense of Marriage Act is probably one of his favorites.

Old 06-18-2016, 10:39 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
It has everything to do with the person you are condemning as sinful and immoral. I think you are a sinful and immoral person, personally, but I know that's not my call to make, but God's.

Old 06-18-2016, 10:50 PM

I wonder what the Bible has to say about this topic ? Could there be any words of advice there for Jeff on this subject?

1Co 5:9
I wrote to you in my letter not to associate with sexually immoral people—not at all meaning the people of this world who are immoral , or the greedy and swindlers, or idolaters .
In that case you would have to leave this world.
But now I am writing to you that you must not associate with anyone who claims to be a brother or sister but is sexually immoral or greedy, an idolater or slanderer, a drunkard or swindler. Do not even eat with such people.

What business is it of mine to judge those outside the church? Are you not to judge those inside?

God will judge those outside. “Expel the wicked person from among you.”

Interesting .It seems the Bibles position is to worry about your own people before judging the actions of others . But what did Jesus have to say about it ?

Mat 7:1

Judge not, that you be not judged. For with the judgment you pronounce you will be judged, and with the measure you use it will be measured to you. Why do you see the speck that is in your brother's eye, but do not notice the log that is in your own eye? Or how can you say to your brother, ‘Let me take the speck out of your eye,’ when there is the log in your own eye? You hypocrite, first take the log out of your own eye, and then you will see clearly to take the speck out of your brother's eye. ...

Wow .

It sort of makes you wonder if conservative Christians understand what their own book says .

Old 06-18-2016, 11:23 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,976,518 times
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
It has everything to do with the person you are condemning as sinful and immoral. I think you are a sinful and immoral person, personally, but I know that's not my call to make, but God's.
You see Jeff, it is not your place to judge whether or not the lifestyle of others is sinful or immoral. You may think it is sinful but you may not judge them, let alone condemn them. If you do, you too will be judged and condemned - that's according to your own bible. So it's about judging others and here we are talking about judging whether it is sinful to love a particular person, in this case, a person of the same gender.

If I may ask, do you judge or condemn me in any way? Like for my 'sinful lifestyle'? I do not believe in the no sex outside of marriage thing. To me that is a lot of bull. I'm not as promiscuous as I would like to be though. I'm not really all that good at one night stands. I like a meaningful relationship. When I was married I was loyal to my wife and family and would not dishonor her by 'straying'. Even after our separation, I saw no one else for a few years until I finally realized there was no hope (after trying to get back together). The funny thing though, is that it was my ex's dogmatic religious belief that ruined things! She actually said to me that she had to choose between me and God!

Do you perhaps condemn me for being an 'unbeliever'? Believing isn't a very strong point in me. If someone tells me it's raining I will tentatively accept it but I will go and check for myself.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:37 AM

27,542 posts, read 28,630,498 times
Quote:
The real question should be why do non-Christians think they have a right to condemn Christians?
Because there are very good reasons to be fearful of Christians who take their religion seriously and who act out what they think it says.

These Christians have no problem discriminating against an entire category of people because they think an invisible being in the sky told them to do so.

Or they will silently consent to such discrimination by simply doing nothing when it happens.

Old 06-19-2016, 08:50 AM

247 posts, read 236,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Of course he does. The Defense of Marriage Act is probably one of his favorites.
Was that the one where a tyrannical branch of the federal government dictated a narrow definition of marriage to the states, who should have been left free to decide for themselves?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality