Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2019, 03:33 PM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
No it doesn't. Hindu gods are no less significant than a christian god.
Brahman, Vishnu, Shiva...those are the big guns.
Funny how Christians say you will go to hell if you don't accept
God's son...no one says such things to those that don't recognize Krishna as an incarnation
of God Himself, Vishnu.
All just names of the same rose....different cultures, gee whiz.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2019, 03:45 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Absolutely.
I am not a big proponent of blind faith.
Seeing is believing.

It does take a commitment, tho...if a person is set that One does not exist ...
Why would they bother? As I see it. So the circle goes round and round.
Makes no diff...what is is...what isn't isn't...Be Happy either way.
also honesty, right. they can't just sit back and say they don't trust religion so much that they must deny anything that theist can use.

that is fundamentally a dishonest approach. they are not seeing any evidence, they are denying anything they feel religion can use. and to be honest, they don't even know what they don't know.

Old 03-04-2019, 03:46 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,575,455 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Brahman, Vishnu, Shiva...those are the big guns.
Funny how Christians say you will go to hell if you don't accept
God's son...no one says such things to those that don't recognize Krishna as an incarnation
of God Himself, Vishnu.
All just names of the same rose....different cultures, gee whiz.
yeah, that whole thing about not believing and going to hell, along with born sinners, has to go.

Old 03-04-2019, 10:04 PM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
No it doesn't. Hindu gods are no less significant than a christian god.
Did you even read my post or is this just another of your knee jerk responses. NONE of the religious extraordinary claims ABOUT God (in ANY religion) have anything to do with the empirical existence of God.

Old 03-04-2019, 10:09 PM

63,797 posts, read 40,068,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post
You'll note that I made specific reference to the Biblical God, as an extraordinary claim requiring extraordinary evidence. Since you seem to support that notion, I'll take what I can get.

Are we in agreement that the Biblical God (i.e., the one who molded Eve from a rib, and plagued the Egyptians, and flooded the world, and used his finger to carve commandments in stone for Cecil B DeMille, and turned Lot's wife into salt, and impregnated a virgin, and raised his son/self from the dead, and...and...and) is unlikely to have existed with those extraordinary characteristics and that extraordinary track record... and that I am therefore justified in moving in that direction, if I choose to move from the starting point of "don't know either way?"
We are in agreement about the Biblical God of the OT but my experiences bias me toward the God who IS agape love described and demonstrated by Jesus. Nevertheless, the EXISTENCE of God has nothing to do with ANY such descriptions ABOUT God.
Quote:
As for what kind of god does exist, and whether it is found within or outside of reality, I am willing to remain standing at the starting line. But I will admit that I'm looking in one direction more than the other, if I have to pick a direction to run.
That is where we ALL are standing until we have some reason to personally take a belief position either way.

Old 03-04-2019, 10:56 PM

50,787 posts, read 24,297,543 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Did you even read my post or is this just another of your knee jerk responses. NONE of the religious extraordinary claims ABOUT God (in ANY religion) have anything to do with the empirical existence of God.
I read your post and found it as enlightening as usual.

Old 03-05-2019, 07:56 AM

16,769 posts, read 4,977,966 times
Quote:
Reverend Thomas Bayes would disagree.

Old 03-05-2019, 08:02 AM

Quote:
No it does NOT. Our Reality is a very specific phenomenon responsible for the existence of EVERYTHING that actually exists. The responsibility alone sufficiently defines God to prevent any dismissal or demand for other proof. That is NOT the case for any of the other nonsense you list.

Silly me, now I understand.

So your god may not actually be a god, and therefore you attack atheism because atheism may, by your definition, be correct.

Old 03-05-2019, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeelaMonster View Post
Fine, let's accept that "lack of belief either way" is a logical starting point. Does it not follow, however, that the extraordinary claims in the direction of a god (see: Bible) should require extraordinary evidence? And that, in the absence of such extraordinary evidence, the more likely (probable) conclusion is in the other direction, of there not being a god? In other words, that the scales are tipped toward the negative (no gods), if we leave that starting point in the middle?

At least that's how I think about it...
Exactly. It is not often that people have a position on something without some background knowledge, and that includes extraordinary claims. That background knowledge is often subconscious, but it is there.

You have just explained your instinctive Bayesian thinking most people have, without having to use any mathematics.

Old 03-05-2019, 08:16 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,375,370 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
yeah, that whole thing about not believing and going to hell, along with born sinners, has to go.
This 'born sinners, we are all sinners and filthy rags' is more predominant than you know, because I have Christian friends and
they say stuff like that to me all the TIME.
My common response, beaming at the filthy rags comment is, "Aw, that's too bad ...because I think of myself as a Princess.....the daughter of King, that is so adored...Aww...)
Oh, with my head tilted and a little pout I slip in there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality