U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-20-2016, 02:41 PM
 
10,552 posts, read 10,865,200 times
Reputation: 3194

Advertisements

Any relationship is a 50-50 proposition, even a relationship with God. You reach out, He responds. But if you think carefully about how often you've reached out you'll likely find it was you reaching 100% of the distance and not finding any hand at the other end to grasp hold of.

I thought when I lost my faith God would come down and do something to bridge the gap in our former relationship. But nothing happened. I once prayed, "Lord if you ever find me drifting away and putting my soul in danger of eternal torment please take my life." (shows you how totally screwed up I was on Christian dogmatic balderdash. Two years later I'm still here living in unbelief and not a thing in my life has changed.

I was reading about parents who lose their faith after losing a child. Gradually they just drift away from God and feel no attempt on God's part to bring them back. They finally come to the realization that in reality it was them reaching out 100% of the way to God. The good feelings they were getting from believing God was intervening and taking care of them was just a purely subjective emotional experience--nothing supernaturally spiritual about it. I found the same thing, even though I have never lost a child.

Christian emotional "highs"--that incredible euphoria that the Holy Spirit is indwelling you--is just endorphins beings released in response to your positive vibes. There's nothing supernatural about it. We're all biological creatures who have evolved a certain way to react to certain stimuli.

As a deist I don't expect God to intervene and make contact with me on any level. He's up there, I'm down here and I have to find my way by myself as best I can, as we all do if we live long enough and mature in the process. Others will will go on living in this fairytale world they construct out of the personal beliefs of how God operates that their pastor preaches to them fro the pulpit--thinking God hears their prayers and answers them accordingly when He doesn't. If they can live happily with that kind of life more power to them. It makes the process of death a heck of a lot easier believing God is holding your hand when you're ready to die than it does knowing you're all alone when death comes calling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-20-2016, 02:55 PM
 
38,429 posts, read 25,918,353 times
Reputation: 5935
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Any relationship is a 50-50 proposition, even a relationship with God. You reach out, He responds. But if you think carefully about how often you've reached out you'll likely find it was you reaching 100% of the distance and not finding any hand at the other end to grasp hold of.

I thought when I lost my faith God would come down and do something to bridge the gap in our former relationship. But nothing happened. I once prayed, "Lord if you ever find me drifting away and putting my soul in danger of eternal torment please take my life." (shows you how totally screwed up I was on Christian dogmatic balderdash. Two years later I'm still here living in unbelief and not a thing in my life has changed.

I was reading about parents who lose their faith after losing a child. Gradually they just drift away from God and feel no attempt on God's part to bring them back. They finally come to the realization that in reality it was them reaching out 100% of the way to God. The good feelings they were getting from believing God was intervening and taking care of them was just a purely subjective emotional experience--nothing supernaturally spiritual about it. I found the same thing, even though I have never lost a child.

Christian emotional "highs"--that incredible euphoria that the Holy Spirit is indwelling you--is just endorphins beings released in response to your positive vibes. There's nothing supernatural about it. We're all biological creatures who have evolved a certain way to react to certain stimuli.

As a deist I don't expect God to intervene and make contact with me on any level. He's up there, I'm down here and I have to find my way by myself as best I can, as we all do if we live long enough and mature in the process. Others will will go on living in this fairytale world they construct out of the personal beliefs of how God operates that their pastor preaches to them fro the pulpit--thinking God hears their prayers and answers them accordingly when He doesn't. If they can live happily with that kind of life more power to them. It makes the process of death a heck of a lot easier believing God is holding your hand when you're ready to die than it does knowing you're all alone when death comes calling.
::Sigh::The ONLY way God intervenes here physically is through other human beings. The only direct interventions are spiritually in our heart and mind (consciousness). You are continuously encountering others who present ways of understanding God and your relationship to Him. You seem deaf to them in your frustration and anger so you are missing any possibilities to hear His actual answers for you. You want God to do all the work of finding Him among the many beliefs ABOUT Him out there. As long as your mind is closeted off by your frustration and anger at the many absurd beliefs ABOUT God, you will miss the truth when you encounter it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2016, 03:05 PM
Status: "Iím a Disney travel agent." (set 3 days ago)
 
Location: The Haunted Mansion
15,778 posts, read 8,549,967 times
Reputation: 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
Any relationship is a 50-50 proposition, even a relationship with God. You reach out, He responds. But if you think carefully about how often you've reached out you'll likely find it was you reaching 100% of the distance and not finding any hand at the other end to grasp hold of.

I thought when I lost my faith God would come down and do something to bridge the gap in our former relationship. But nothing happened. I once prayed, "Lord if you ever find me drifting away and putting my soul in danger of eternal torment please take my life." (shows you how totally screwed up I was on Christian dogmatic balderdash. Two years later I'm still here living in unbelief and not a thing in my life has changed.

I was reading about parents who lose their faith after losing a child. Gradually they just drift away from God and feel no attempt on God's part to bring them back. They finally come to the realization that in reality it was them reaching out 100% of the way to God. The good feelings they were getting from believing God was intervening and taking care of them was just a purely subjective emotional experience--nothing supernaturally spiritual about it. I found the same thing, even though I have never lost a child.

Christian emotional "highs"--that incredible euphoria that the Holy Spirit is indwelling you--is just endorphins beings released in response to your positive vibes. There's nothing supernatural about it. We're all biological creatures who have evolved a certain way to react to certain stimuli.

As a deist I don't expect God to intervene and make contact with me on any level. He's up there, I'm down here and I have to find my way by myself as best I can, as we all do if we live long enough and mature in the process. Others will will go on living in this fairytale world they construct out of the personal beliefs of how God operates that their pastor preaches to them fro the pulpit--thinking God hears their prayers and answers them accordingly when He doesn't. If they can live happily with that kind of life more power to them. It makes the process of death a heck of a lot easier believing God is holding your hand when you're ready to die than it does knowing you're all alone when death comes calling.
Sounds like you're mad at God, since you choose to belittle others. Classic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2016, 03:17 PM
 
32,533 posts, read 29,990,270 times
Reputation: 32290
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
God is holding your hand when you're ready to die.....snip
Can't say I've heard that one.

Sounds like something coming out of a juke box in the Bible Belt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2016, 03:19 PM
 
Location: Divided Tribes of America
12,915 posts, read 5,180,813 times
Reputation: 5019
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
::Sigh::The ONLY way God intervenes here physically is through other human beings. The only direct interventions are spiritually in our heart and mind (consciousness). You are continuously encountering others who present ways of understanding God and your relationship to Him. You seem deaf to them in your frustration and anger so you are missing any possibilities to hear His actual answers for you. You want God to do all the work of finding Him among the many beliefs ABOUT Him out there. As long as your mind is closeted off by your frustration and anger at the many absurd beliefs ABOUT God, you will miss the truth when you encounter it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Sounds like you're mad at God, since you choose to belittle others. Classic.
Obviously something is wrong with the OP, right? He/she is defective in some way.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2016, 03:26 PM
Status: "Iím a Disney travel agent." (set 3 days ago)
 
Location: The Haunted Mansion
15,778 posts, read 8,549,967 times
Reputation: 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
Obviously something is wrong with the OP, right? He/she is defective in some way.

We're all defective, in some way.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2016, 03:33 PM
 
Location: Divided Tribes of America
12,915 posts, read 5,180,813 times
Reputation: 5019
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
We're all defective, in some way.
But some are more defective than others, right? The OP is more defective than you are, and you weren't afraid to let him/her know it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Sounds like you're mad at God, since you choose to belittle others. Classic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2016, 04:00 PM
Status: "Iím a Disney travel agent." (set 3 days ago)
 
Location: The Haunted Mansion
15,778 posts, read 8,549,967 times
Reputation: 1595
Quote:
Originally Posted by Freak80 View Post
But some are more defective than others, right? The OP is more defective than you are, and you weren't afraid to let him/her know it:
Yes.

If the OP didn't want comments, he/she should not have posted on a public forum.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2016, 04:07 PM
 
Location: Southwestern, USA
13,883 posts, read 11,370,088 times
Reputation: 15621
You are correct in the OP...there is nothing supernatural about the endorphins that
are released in the brain.
(Rem, I am not a Christian.)
But, I also do not see anything supernatural in walking on water or healing people.
Everything and anything under the Sun and beyond, are the most natural things.
That being said...every single thing you see with your eyes open or closed
is supernatural, also...every particle floating in the sunbeam in your living room.

Endorphins or using the mind to make atoms that are far apart simply move closer, thus,
more dense
with the power of the Mind to be walked on...is not supernatural...it is just something
man doesn't know how to do or is not ready to open to ...yet.
(Of course, yogi's and masters can do all those 'walking thru wall' things
for centuries...so it is reported.)Btw, I am sorry God did not respond to you.
'He' has never not responded to me...every prayer has been answered,
but one my whole life...but I know what happened that 'one time'.

God is SO not 'up there' anywhere...I will tell you truthfully from my many direct experiences...
'He', Who has no gender, is so close ..."He' is closer than your own skin and can be perceived
in your every thought and in your every breath...it does take a focus almost beyond belief,
however.
(Be still and know that I am God....it is a stillness almost unimaginable!
Rem, I have been meditating for 40 yrs...for many hours a sitting...I don't make this
stuff up or get it from any book.)

Btw, I have no concern if you have a belief in a God or not...
you are perfect the way you are.



Juke box in the bible Belt...good one!!!! Dew
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-20-2016, 04:12 PM
 
Location: Dallas,Texas
1,360 posts, read 1,431,392 times
Reputation: 1471
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmiej View Post
Sounds like you're mad at God, since you choose to belittle others. Classic.
Pathetic jimmie. Just pathetic. You are right. People who once believed are mad when they figure out it's all a delusion and wake-up. It's a natural human response but yet you like so many Christians want to make excuses for Bible God if it exists.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top