Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 06-25-2016, 12:36 PM

50,087 posts, read 20,709,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
LOL, It's not that far fetched, the ancient Chinese and Assyrians and Babylonians used fingerprints to sign legal documents.

Babylon would decree something and then press their entire right hand into the slab of clay containing the law before the clay was fired. This would mean that the law was authentic and official because it contained the king’s “signature.”

Abraham came from Babylon and you find a lot of different culture in the bible but a fingerprint is relatively easy to see especially with occasions of putting blood on one's toe or thumb and so much blood used in sacrificing that I might just find something somewhere, maybe the Talmud, but I would certainly be convinced that they knew fingerprints were signatures to a specific person.
That's fine in theory, and it is a rather back to front debunking of 'science' (fingerpriint id) in the Bible when we don't know the Bible even mentions it though, as you say,the Chinese had it and the Babylonians apparently,though I can imagine could be a symbolic authorization by the king rather than fingerprinting. Remember they had seals to impress on clay documents as authentication.

Old 06-25-2016, 01:24 PM

23,141 posts, read 10,438,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
That's fine in theory, and it is a rather back to front debunking of 'science' (fingerpriint id) in the Bible when we don't know the Bible even mentions it though, as you say,the Chinese had it and the Babylonians apparently,though I can imagine could be a symbolic authorization by the king rather than fingerprinting. Remember they had seals to impress on clay documents as authentication.
Yeah, It might not be in the bible at all. Maybe that was reaching, and yet who knows, the more I look, the more I find in symbolism with the temple design in the design of human anatomy and I would think people used to seeing fingerprints a lot and that they may have noticed that everyone was different like ancient hand reading.

Old 06-25-2016, 01:27 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,855,868 times
Quote:
Yeah, It might not be in the bible at all. Maybe that was reaching, and yet who knows, the more I look, the more I find in symbolism with the temple design in the design of human anatomy and I would think people used to seeing fingerprints a lot and that they may have noticed that everyone was different like ancient hand reading.
...but how would they have read them...and how would they have known that no two finger-prints are the same (as far as we know) in order to use it as a means of identifying?

Old 06-25-2016, 02:10 PM

23,141 posts, read 10,438,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
...but how would they have read them...and how would they have known that no two finger-prints are the same (as far as we know) in order to use it as a means of identifying?
You put a finger down in blood and it isn't going to look like somebody else, but I don't think they used it like we do, just saying that I bet they knew everyone had a different print enough to possibly use as a signature when they aint got a shoe.

Old 06-25-2016, 04:20 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,981,700 times
Quote:
You put a finger down in blood and it isn't going to look like somebody else, but I don't think they used it like we do, just saying that I bet they knew everyone had a different print enough to possibly use as a signature when they aint got a shoe.
They would have known it for sure but just looking at a finger print doesn't tell us who made it. Unless some official at the other end has a know fingerprint (hand print more likely) example to compare it to. But as stated, the Mesopotamians used seals pressed into clay. This we know.

Old 06-25-2016, 07:23 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,574,029 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
Shouldnt this have been already done 100 and millions of years ago?

Evolution is restarting? This fish will become human some day?
And what will become of today's humans ? They will become fish?
everthing just keeps evolving ... like seeding.

Old 06-25-2016, 10:59 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,855,868 times
[quote=Hannibal Flavius;44544378]
Quote:
You put a finger down in blood and it isn't going to look like somebody else,....
If you and I both did it, to the human eye they would look basically the same. Complex analysis is required to seperate them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
They would have known it for sure but just looking at a finger print doesn't tell us who made it. Unless some official at the other end has a know fingerprint (hand print more likely) example to compare it to.

Old 06-25-2016, 11:34 PM

33,532 posts, read 37,132,711 times
How on earth did this thread evolve from walking fish to bloody fingerprints?

Old 06-25-2016, 11:40 PM

6,115 posts, read 3,085,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
That question is as daft as the question: If we evolved from monkey, how come there are still monkeys.

It didn't stop. It slowed down to almost unmeasurable levels. Why? For the same reason it did so in crocodiles. They are so superbly adapted to their environment that they haven't needed to change.

Those who are wilfully ignorant of evolution (mostly Christians) see evolution as something that MUST happen in such a way that can be seen with the naked eye (cats turning into dogs overnight and other such ludicrous nonsense). That is not the case. Evolution is not a linear process where species must always get bigger and stronger than that which came before. Such thinking is beloved of anti-evolutionist who never bother to actually find out anything about what they are trying to dismiss but prefer to gobble up the tripe fed to them by their favourite fundie web-site like CARM or Answers in Genesis.

The fact is that evolution claims no such thing. What it claims is that organisms will adapt to their current environment and will do so with the least expenditure of resources and energy possible.

So there is no reason for us to get bigger, stronger or more intelligent if those traits are not required. Acquiring those trait or attributes requires resources and if those traits or attributes are not required they will be lost. If attribute are not required then over time we would expect them to evolve out.

There is no linear concept of ALWAYS bigger and better in evolution as you seem to think. In fact, a species may well get smaller and weaker if, in doing so, it uses less resources and survives just as well.
So u do support the idea that if our environment changes to a point where it forces adaption, then we will evolve.

In other words, water level is rising so we will learn how to live in water and some day human race will evolve into Dolphins ?

Old 06-25-2016, 11:50 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,625,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoCardinals View Post
So u do support the idea that if our environment changes to a point where it forces adaption, then we will evolve.

In other words, water level is rising so we will learn how to live in water and some day human race will evolve into Dolphins ?
Yes, that makes so much more sense than just moving 10 miles inland. We'll save ourselves the trouble of packing and loading up the car, and just become dolphins. What other possible answer could there be?

Seriously, where are you getting this gibberish from?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality