Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-23-2016, 11:25 AM

4,851 posts, read 2,284,357 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
I'm sure you or others would find plenty of reasons to discount it, no matter what was given to us.

Can you conceive of a way that God could reveal itself that would remove any doubt ? And could make the Bible unnecessary ? The Bible claims God writes laws on our hearts . Why couldn't God make sure every believer understood what it wants much in the same way as a computer download , only a spiritual download that taught every believer the exact same thing ?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-23-2016, 12:20 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,192,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Can you conceive of a way that God could reveal itself that would remove any doubt ? And could make the Bible unnecessary ?
How about becoming a man and walking the earth? Maybe dying on a cross to pay for our sins?

And then..how about if men wrote down the story of it?
Quote:

The Bible claims God writes laws on our hearts . Why couldn't God make sure every believer understood what it wants much in the same way as a computer download , only a spiritual download that taught every believer the exact same thing ?
When Jesus comes back, he will rule over the earth in what's called the Millenium--1000 years. And that will prove that people are unwilling to obey him EVEN when he is living in our midst. What makes you think that this download you speak of would solve that?

Old 06-23-2016, 12:39 PM

30,902 posts, read 33,003,025 times
Quote:
I'm sure you or others would find plenty of reasons to discount it, no matter what was given to us.
We don't need to actually do any digging, we merely need a read to see why it's obviously man-made, vengeful and a definitive sign of its times. In that way it's a fascinating cultural peek into the Middle Eastern mindset two to four thousand years ago, like any mythological text. So I wouldn't say it's entirely without worth, just that the actual myths themselves obviously have no support, like any other mythological system I've ever heard of.

Old 06-23-2016, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerZ View Post
We don't need to actually do any digging, we merely need a read to see why it's obviously man-made, vengeful and a definitive sign of its times. In that way it's a fascinating cultural peek into the Middle Eastern mindset two to four thousand years ago, like any mythological text. So I wouldn't say it's entirely without worth, just that the actual myths themselves obviously have no support, like any other mythological system I've ever heard of.

Old 06-23-2016, 01:02 PM

6,324 posts, read 4,323,868 times
Quote:
So that excuses the extremely sloppy book we have now?

"Oh why bother inspiring humanity to write a well-written holy book that is harder to dispute and might actually win over more converts when there will always be someone who will find reasons to discount it. So screw it. Might as well inspire them to make a mess of things starting with having a Chosen people and going from there. That'll really muck it up for future generations."

I guess that's what you're saying God said ... or something similar.

Old 06-23-2016, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shirina View Post
So that excuses the extremely sloppy book we have now?

"Oh why bother inspiring humanity to write a well-written holy book that is harder to dispute and might actually win over more converts when there will always be someone who will find reasons to discount it. So screw it. Might as well inspire them to make a mess of things starting with having a Chosen people and going from there. That'll really muck it up for future generations."

I guess that's what you're saying God said ... or something similar.
We have 66 different books written thousands of years ago. It's actually an amazing work. Read Romans and see how many OT references it makes, then realize that Paul wrote it, possibly sitting in a jail cell chained to a guard, with no computer, and very little reference material. It's truly an astounding book.

Old 06-23-2016, 01:20 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,604,822 times
Quote:
We have 66 different books written thousands of years ago. It's actually an amazing work. Read Romans and see how many OT references it makes, then realize that Paul wrote it, possibly sitting in a jail cell chained to a guard, with no computer, and very little reference material. It's truly an astounding book.

What did he write it on and what did he write it with Viz?

Old 06-23-2016, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
What did he write it on and what did he write it with Viz?
Paul? Probably on parchment or vellum. My understanding is that the pen would have been made of reed. It's possible that he dictated it to a scribe instead. In Galatians 6 he seems to suggest that it was a unique thing when he actually wrote text himself. It's theorized that he had bad eyes.

Old 06-23-2016, 01:32 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,604,822 times
Quote:

Quote:
Paul? Probably on parchment or vellum. My understanding is that the pen would have been made of reed. It's possible that he dictated it to a scribe instead. In Galatians 6 he seems to suggest that it was a unique thing when he actually wrote text himself. It's theorized that he had bad eyes.
He was able to get all that in jail??

Old 06-23-2016, 01:34 PM

9,855 posts, read 11,931,928 times
Quote:
Vellum? In prison? And what about ink... I'm actually afraid to ask...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality