Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2016, 09:31 PM

63,774 posts, read 40,030,593 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Because Christianity so involves itself in my life; where I work, who my friends are, how my family and I interact. It threatens my job, my personal life, my financial well-being, my social life, and my legal status. How can I not be so involved?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2016, 10:32 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,736,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Because Christianity so involves itself in my life; where I work, who my friends are, how my family and I interact. It threatens my job, my personal life, my financial well-being, my social life, and my legal status. How can I not be so involved?
How does it threaten you?

Old 06-30-2016, 10:37 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,736,978 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
I thought I would point out this is the discussion forum "Religion and Spirituality". Why do you think that just involves Christianity?

Back on topic, I take it you are not able to answer the question, or can you?
Um... Because you were specifically citing the Bible... Not Torah, Talmud, or Koran.

I have no idea whether it's the direct word of God, whether it's divinely inspired, or just a collection of some really timely pieces of wisdom. There is no need for me to try to prove that to myself or others.

Personally, I think literalists are a bit too out there and I think the anti literalists-must prove its falsehoods are right there with them.

Both being very similar in fanaticism with the extreme left and right in American politics: no dialogue, mostly vitriol.

Old 06-30-2016, 11:12 PM

22,137 posts, read 19,195,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
I have no idea whether it's the direct word of God, whether it's divinely inspired, or just a collection of some really timely pieces of wisdom. There is no need for me to try to prove that to myself or others.

Personally, I think literalists are a bit too out there and I think the anti literalists-must prove its falsehoods are right there with them.

Both being very similar in fanaticism with the extreme left and right in American politics: no dialogue, mostly vitriol.
spot on!
excellent point
flip side of the same coin

Old 07-04-2016, 01:35 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,645,906 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Often in these discussions, when it comes down to giving authority to the bible, we hear the words from believers, usually when they have no other discussion point to make, that the bible is "the inspired words of god".

How would one know? How would one test that hypothesis without using the bible as its own authority, as that is just a circular argument?

Some say one needs to let the spirit into one's heart? WTH? The heart is a muscle, with no thinking ability whatsoever. Yes, the ancients use to think it was the center of one's being, but we know that is wrong. And if that is a metaphorical statement, one can say anything else in the bible is metaphorical and allegorical, at best.

So, how do we KNOW that your god inspired the bible as it exists today?
Well...in the U.S. we know, for sure...because the Government, by and through its authority, has legally declared The Bible to be "The Word Of God". Oh, and, by extention...we can be certain that Biblegod exists.
PL 97-280 is the Law Of The Land...and it says so.
Also...I think that all students in this Country should be familiar with our laws. They should teach that law to them in all the schools.
We all know that Laws and Court decisions are representative of "truth", and so very important to go by. I'm sure you agree, since you constantly cite and note them.

Old 07-04-2016, 02:45 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,687,859 times
I need only comment that anyone with a few smarts will look at that an be aware of a clumsy attempt to pull the wool over their eyes.

I suspect that others don't care for those who try to bamboozle them any more than I do, and even less for those who do it in such a clumsy way, as it shows how little you think of the intelligence of those who you attempt to bamboozle.

Old 07-04-2016, 02:59 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,013,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I need only comment that anyone with a few smarts will look at that an be aware of a clumsy attempt to pull the wool over their eyes.

I suspect that others don't care for those who try to bamboozle them any more than I do, and even less for those who do it in such a clumsy way, as it shows how little you think of the intelligence of those who you attempt to bamboozle.

Public Law 97-280

But they screwed up with quoting Jefferson, though:

"We hold these truths to be self-evident; that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness."

- Thomas Jefferson,
Declaration of Independence, July 4, 1776

I.e. Whomever or whatever their creator happens to be, else Jefferson would have said, "our creator", but he didn't...So, Jefferson, writing the DoI, didn't show partiality to the Christian religion or god...

Old 07-04-2016, 03:31 AM

50,086 posts, read 20,687,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Public Law 97-280

But they screwed up with quoting Jefferson, though:

"We hold these truths to be self-evident; that all men are created equal; that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights; that among these are Life, Liberty, and the pursuit of Happiness."

- Thomas Jefferson,
Declaration of Independence, July 4, 1776

I.e. Whomever or whatever their creator happens to be, else Jefferson would have said, "our creator", but he didn't...So, Jefferson, writing the DoI, didn't show partiality to the Christian religion or god...
Yes, indeed. We are all aware of how Bible -believing presidents pushed through laws or resolutions that made their personal beliefs legislation. I shall have to leave that to later generations to repeal. But -quite apart from fiddling the undeniable influence the Bible has had (the Greek myths have, too) on our society and thought to make it look like it made it true, or dusting off Jefferson's undeniable (pre -Darwin) acceptance that Goddunnit it was the only explanation at the time, in an attempt to make it some idea that we should (post Darwin) still accept, apart, from that, as I say...

Gldnrule's oafishly telegraphed effort to make Biblesucking Presidents' imposition of their faith on the body politic through misuse of the authority entrusted to them by vote, somehow "By extension" proof that a god exists, will not fool anyone (1), unless they want to be fooled, in which case, they don't need him.

(1) no more than his semantic wangling, a half-assedly crude version of Mystic's 'God = everything' argument, will fool them. Indeed, Mystic must wince at how it flags up the semantic fiddling of the argument, which he swaddles much more cleverly.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 07-04-2016 at 03:44 AM..

Old 07-04-2016, 05:45 AM

17,717 posts, read 13,522,365 times
Inspiration can come from many places to say that it came from God, is like the cashier joke.

One can be inspired from the love of your spouse, music, a painting, etc.

Old 07-04-2016, 06:04 AM

27,541 posts, read 28,625,446 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stymie13 View Post
For the life of me, I've never seen so many atheists and agnostics so involved with Christianity.
Christianity is by far the dominant religious belief system in the western world. Numerous Christian sects claim to have a monopoly on all truth, even if that truth contradicts scientific knowledge.

So, it should be very understandable why atheists and agnostics would concern themselves with Christianity, right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality