Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-04-2016, 07:04 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
Well...in the U.S. we know, for sure...because the Government, by and through its authority, has legally declared The Bible to be "The Word Of God". Oh, and, by extention...we can be certain that Biblegod exists.
PL 97-280 is the Law Of The Land...and it says so.
Also...I think that all students in this Country should be familiar with our laws. They should teach that law to them in all the schools.
We all know that Laws and Court decisions are representative of "truth", and so very important to go by. I'm sure you agree, since you constantly cite and note them.
You know, just because you repeat an untruth over and over and over again, doesn't ever make it the truth. I have debunked your PL 97-280 hypothesize previously, but apparently you are proud to remain unschooled. That is not an admirable trait.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-04-2016, 07:27 AM

16,673 posts, read 15,672,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
You know, just because you repeat an untruth over and over and over again, doesn't ever make it the truth. I have debunked your PL 97-280 hypothesize previously, but apparently you are proud to remain unschooled. That is not an admirable trait.
You are right, cupper. 97-280 is a resolution, full of WHEREAS, WHEREAS, WHEREAS, and THEREFORE. It has no actions, either prescribed or proscribed, it has no punishment for failure to adhere, and it has no federal funding mechanism with which the Executive branch is to enforce. It may be called a law, but it isn't really. It just a meaningless resolution. I suspect that some investigation would show that all Congressional resolutions are called laws, although I didn't do any such investigation because it really makes no difference.

Old 07-04-2016, 09:39 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,650,323 times
Quote:
You "debunked" nothing.
You constantly cite and tout the Law and Court decisions...scores of threads doing that.
You like "The Law" so much, and place so much credence in it...then learn and obey THAT one too!
It is just as much "on the books" as any other. That's a fact. So, get hip to it...learn it and live it!

Old 07-04-2016, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I need only comment that anyone with a few smarts will look at that an be aware of a clumsy attempt to pull the wool over their eyes.

I suspect that others don't care for those who try to bamboozle them any more than I do, and even less for those who do it in such a clumsy way, as it shows how little you think of the intelligence of those who you attempt to bamboozle.
He basically asks, "By what authority other than the Bible itself can we determine the Bible to be *The Word Of God*?"
So...I gave him an authority outside of the Bible that declares it as such.
I answered the question he asks in his OP...and substantiated it.
You show me how that is "bamboozlement".

Old 07-04-2016, 10:06 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times
Quote:
You "debunked" nothing.
You constantly cite and tout the Law and Court decisions...scores of threads doing that.
You like "The Law" so much, and place so much credence in it...then learn and obey THAT one too!
It is just as much "on the books" as any other. That's a fact. So, get hip to it...learn it and live it!
You revel in your ability to not absorb or to ignore knowledge, and I am certain you are quite proud of that. Others here see you for who and what you are. That is not a compliment.

Old 07-04-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
You are right, cupper. 97-280 is a resolution, full of WHEREAS, WHEREAS, WHEREAS, and THEREFORE. It has no actions, either prescribed or proscribed, it has no punishment for failure to adhere, and it has no federal funding mechanism with which the Executive branch is to enforce. It may be called a law, but it isn't really. It just a meaningless resolution. I suspect that some investigation would show that all Congressional resolutions are called laws, although I didn't do any such investigation because it really makes no difference.
A Joint Resolution is just another way to submit a matter for legaslative consideration, just like a Bill. They are used interchangeably, and are no different in effect.
If voted in, and signed by the President, they have the full force of Law.
Check it out...you'll see.
97-280, unless it is repealed, is just as much a Law as any other.
Just because Laws are not enforced (look at our Immigration Laws) does not mean they are not really Laws. Whether they are "right" or "fair" is another matter...and subjective.

Old 07-04-2016, 10:28 AM

Quote:
You revel in your ability to not absorb or to ignore knowledge, and I am certain you are quite proud of that. Others here see you for who and what you are. That is not a compliment.
I have the knowledge on this. It is you that doesn't.
Joint Resolution or Bill...if it gets the votes and is signed by the Prez, IT IS LAW. That's a fact.

Old 07-04-2016, 11:23 AM

27,564 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Quote:
I have the knowledge on this. It is you that doesn't.
Joint Resolution or Bill...if it gets the votes and is signed by the Prez, IT IS LAW. That's a fact.
So, let me get this straight. You are a pantheist who believes that the United States is a Christian theocracy?

Old 07-04-2016, 12:39 PM

4,754 posts, read 2,738,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
Christianity is by far the dominant religious belief system in the western world. Numerous Christian sects claim to have a monopoly on all truth, even if that truth contradicts scientific knowledge.

So, it should be very understandable why atheists and agnostics would concern themselves with Christianity, right?
Before I came to a realization that I believe in God, I paid Christianity no mind. I understood the traditions, etc... But they had no impact on my life. I never felt threatened, intimidated, slighted, or coerced. I met militants of many stripes but it was just as easy to walk away as get into a pointless debate.

As I began changing, I carried that same mentality with me. I've just never felt a need to argue another's faith, or whether the bible is the literal word of God.

So, me personally, I don't understand the concern. I know many feel they are living under 'christianity' in this country. I never did and still don't. However, if one wants to feel slighted, or oppressed, it is very easy to buy into that mindset.

Old 07-04-2016, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCityDreamer View Post
So, let me get this straight. You are a pantheist who believes that the United States is a Christian theocracy?
How do you figure that?!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality