U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-02-2016, 11:53 PM
 
Location: In a little house on the prairie - literally
10,202 posts, read 7,461,015 times
Reputation: 4559

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
Of course you don't . And of course it is impossible for gay men to use sites that actually offer the service of helping gay men find partners . Nope, that won't do. We have to FORCE those who don't offer this option to alter their business model to cater to gays .They can't use the multitude that do, they must make the one or two that don't comply with their views and wishes .
So rather than calling out discrimination and illegal business practices, it is better for society to just close one eye, and ignore it?

Should we an optional compartment at the back of the bus? Maybe color-coded water fountains? I mean, who are we hurting?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-03-2016, 03:23 AM
 
Location: Prescott Arizona
1,651 posts, read 943,417 times
Reputation: 1591
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
And through countless lawsuits and court rulings, we've already established that private businesses catering to the public cannot do whatever they want.


Well, it is and has been for quite some time. Get over it.
People like yourself are Clueless. You simply don't get it.

It will all make sense when you literally have zero rights.

Enjoy the thought police because it's coming
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2016, 04:26 AM
 
Location: S. Wales.
49,763 posts, read 18,505,503 times
Reputation: 5838
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrt1979 View Post
People like yourself are Clueless. You simply don't get it.

It will all make sense when you literally have zero rights.

Enjoy the thought police because it's coming
I always enjoy it when we get the "If you are allowed to fine me for speeding, how long will it be before we are being dragged off to the gas chambers?' arguments. It is of course the slippery slope fallacy.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2016, 04:40 AM
 
9,467 posts, read 9,155,765 times
Reputation: 1789
Still it does work both ways as google was sued by a Christians charity for pro-life and Christian advertising were they were discriminated against the Christians in the UK back in 2008 ..........In America the constitution says that it cannot pass law that inhibit religion , when Religion moves out of the church and into the media of the world than the laws can be invoked
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2016, 06:16 AM
 
Location: S. Wales.
49,763 posts, read 18,505,503 times
Reputation: 5838
I found your post a bit impenetrable, if not incoherent, but in principle, you are right. The law works both ways and religion (or the religious person) has rights just like anyone else. It is right that they should and I will fight for their equal rights under the law, just as I will fight for the equal rights of persons of various races, genders or creeds and against the privileges claimed by other persons to abrogate those rights.

One right is to be treated equally by a business. You don't charge woman more or refuse to serve a black. If the law decided that a business could withhold business of grounds of religious conviction, that would have been that, apart from trying to get the law changed. But I wouldn't be saying that this decision can be ignored because I don't like it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2016, 11:37 AM
 
4,851 posts, read 2,133,003 times
Reputation: 1586
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
So rather than calling out discrimination and illegal business practices, it is better for society to just close one eye, and ignore it?

Should we an optional compartment at the back of the bus? Maybe color-coded water fountains? I mean, who are we hurting?


That you must resort to such inflammatory remarks shows the lack of ability to hold a sensible discussion on the subject . They were not discriminated against . They were not told they couldn't buy a product the site sold because they were gay . They were told the site didn't sell the product they desired .

Learn the difference . Ive asked numerous times if we can make the baker in my example create a product she doesn't currently sell so that the Muslim can buy it from her . Try for once answering that instead of making baseless remarks about buses and water fountains. It's the same thing that happened here . This site didn't market and provide a gay dating service . It wasn't part of their product line . So a business was made to create a new product line to satisfy the complaints of a minority . So can we make the baker cater to the Muslim or not ? Is simply not offering a product a minority wants discrimination ?

Last edited by wallflash; 07-03-2016 at 12:17 PM..
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2016, 12:40 PM
 
Location: In a little house on the prairie - literally
10,202 posts, read 7,461,015 times
Reputation: 4559
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
That you must resort to such inflammatory remarks shows the lack of ability to hold a sensible discussion on the subject . They were not discriminated against . They were not told they couldn't buy a product the site sold because they were gay . They were told the site didn't sell the product they desired .

Learn the difference . Ive asked numerous times if we can make the baker in my example create a product she doesn't currently sell so that the Muslim can buy it from her . Try for once answering that instead of making baseless remarks about buses and water fountains. It's the same thing that happened here . This site didn't market and provide a gay dating service . It wasn't part of their product line . So a business was made to create a new product line to satisfy the complaints of a minority . So can we make the baker cater to the Muslim or not ? Is simply not offering a product a minority wants discrimination ?
The court was quiet clear in its judgement that what the site was doing was illegal, and as I have previously stated, obviously the site's law team and the owners chose not to appeal, knowing it was futile.

What part of it was illegal is hard for you to understand? That is the only issue, and you're attempt at deflection with hypotheticals is irrelevant. Deal with the issue, not some made up ones.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2016, 12:48 PM
 
4,851 posts, read 2,133,003 times
Reputation: 1586
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
The court was quiet clear in its judgement that what the site was doing was illegal, and as I have previously stated, obviously the site's law team and the owners chose not to appeal, knowing it was futile.

What part of it was illegal is hard for you to understand? That is the only issue, and you're attempt at deflection with hypotheticals is irrelevant. Deal with the issue, not some made up ones.


I have admitted that technically it is illegal if the courts say so, so try reading before posting nonsense like this . I then asked about the reality of whether this was legit or just spite , but evidently you let the courts determine for you what is right or wrong .

And as you have studiously avoided , just like the religious fundies do , answering questions you don't like it is obvious you don't have an answer and can do nothing but repeat that the "law says so ".

The issue is the site didn't offer a product that the gays wanted , and the law made them do so to satisfy the unwarranted and needless demands of a few gays who couldn't be bothered to use the dating sites that did offer what they wanted . That's the reality, whether you have the courage to discuss it outside the strictly legal bounds or not .
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2016, 01:02 PM
 
Location: In a little house on the prairie - literally
10,202 posts, read 7,461,015 times
Reputation: 4559
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallflash View Post
I have admitted that technically it is illegal if the courts say so, so try reading before posting nonsense like this . I then asked about the reality of whether this was legit or just spite , but evidently you let the courts determine for you what is right or wrong .

And as you have studiously avoided , just like the religious fundies do , answering questions you don't like it is obvious you don't have an answer and can do nothing but repeat that the "law says so ".

The issue is the site didn't offer a product that the gays wanted , and the law made them do so to satisfy the unwarranted and needless demands of a few gays who couldn't be bothered to use the dating sites that did offer what they wanted . That's the reality, whether you have the courage to discuss it outside the strictly legal bounds or not .
I actually have answered your point before. The point you are trying to make is that there are militant gays who are looking for cases to try.

I think you are right. And they should. Why?

For the same reason the Freedom For Religion Foundation pursues cases that are in violation of the 1st Amendment. For the same reason that the NRA pursues cases that are against the 2nd Amendment. If those cases are not pursued, then the slippery slope argument comes into play. If one overlooks a minor transgression, how soon before a medium one is overlooked, and then a major one.

By delineating to the public what the issues are and by setting precedents through the courts, it becomes clear to companies and institutions, as well as law makers, what they can and can not do.

Annoyance factors are not relevant; what is relevant is that the standards be consistently applied, and when they are not, that a reminder be given as frequently and as forceful as required.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-03-2016, 01:13 PM
 
4,851 posts, read 2,133,003 times
Reputation: 1586
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
I actually have answered your point before. The point you are trying to make is that there are militant gays who are looking for cases to try.

I think you are right. And they should. Why?

For the same reason the Freedom For Religion Foundation pursues cases that are in violation of the 1st Amendment. For the same reason that the NRA pursues cases that are against the 2nd Amendment. If those cases are not pursued, then the slippery slope argument comes into play. If one overlooks a minor transgression, how soon before a medium one is overlooked, and then a major one.

By delineating to the public what the issues are and by setting precedents through the courts, it becomes clear to companies and institutions, as well as law makers, what they can and can not do.

Annoyance factors are not relevant; what is relevant is that the standards be consistently applied, and when they are not, that a reminder be given as frequently and as forceful as required.


That's fine, as long as you can admit this isn't about a couple of gays being abused when they passed over the 100 dating sites that catered to them to find the one that didn't . You seem content with that . I find your attitude as appalling as the attitude of religious fundies that want everyone to accept their beliefs .

You both are merely different versions of thought police .
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 11:24 AM.

© 2005-2023, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top