Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-18-2017, 01:25 PM

4,466 posts, read 1,605,073 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
It doesn't matter whether you believe in G-d or not. The Amish built this thing, and it's a carpenter's dream, the workmanship is impeccable. But as I said, to each, his own. Peace
Your 100% right, it doesn't matter. What does matter, is paying over $100 to go see a big wooden boat that promotes fairy tales. If you don't have anything better to do with your money, then you must have more of it than I do.

As for the craftsmanship, I am sure it is impeccable. $40 a person impeccable? Not a chance. But hey, if people want to throw away their money, who am I to stop them?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
So what? Most people don't believe like you. Go to trip advisor and you'll see hundreds of glowing reviews. Thousands of people are making trips to the Ark and having a good experience. And those thousands of people bring in tourism revenue so claiming that the Ark screws the State of Kentucky out of money is ridiculous.
Apparently not enough though, since it is struggling. Any cursory glance at news article regarding the park will show this. Also, there are several articles and videos out there talking about how little it is doing for the town itself. In other words, the people who live there say you are wrong. See? This is just the first thing that popped up.
http://www.wkyt.com/content/news/Gra...414791203.html

Now they are trying to cheat the good people of Kentucky even worse, by selling to a non profit for only $10 (and lying about the lands worth I might add) and trying to skirt taxes. Very Christian thing to do, huh?

Old 07-18-2017, 01:54 PM

18,976 posts, read 7,013,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Which is yet more reason for the long overdue tax exemption for profitable businesses if they can link it to religion to be struck out.
Why? This benefits society to be there. It provided jobs to the people that built it, and it provides jobs to those working there now, not to mention the money spent in tourism.

Old 07-18-2017, 02:00 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,042,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImissThe90's View Post
Your 100% right, it doesn't matter. What does matter, is paying over $100 to go see a big wooden boat that promotes fairy tales. If you don't have anything better to do with your money, then you must have more of it than I do.

As for the craftsmanship, I am sure it is impeccable. $40 a person impeccable? Not a chance. But hey, if people want to throw away their money, who am I to stop them?

Apparently not enough though, since it is struggling. Any cursory glance at news article regarding the park will show this. Also, there are several articles and videos out there talking about how little it is doing for the town itself. In other words, the people who live there say you are wrong. See? This is just the first thing that popped up.
Grant Co. leaders: Ark Encounter doesn't live up to economic promise

Now they are trying to cheat the good people of Kentucky even worse, by selling to a non profit for only $10 (and lying about the lands worth I might add) and trying to skirt taxes. Very Christian thing to do, huh?

Well, I look at this way....people around here pay close to a $100 to go to King's Island Amusement park; good seats at a Reds game or a Colts game, are not cheap, either. So I don't feel the cost is really an issue, it's more a question of priorities of the individual. I loved it, my visiting guest from Amsterdam I took loved it, my grandson loved it, and even the non-Christian I took with us, loved it. That's all that matters to me, regarding spending the money to go there and not somewhere else. And this fall, we likely will go back again. It's difficult to walk it all in one day, particularly IF they have the planned additions to it done. Peace

Old 07-18-2017, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
Well, I look at this way....people around here pay close to a $100 to go to King's Island Amusement park; good seats at a Reds game or a Colts game, are not cheap, either. So I don't feel the cost is really an issue, it's more a question of priorities of the individual. I loved it, my visiting guest from Amsterdam I took loved it, my grandson loved it, and even the non-Christian I took with us, loved it. That's all that matters to me, regarding spending the money to go there and not somewhere else. And this fall, we likely will go back again. It's difficult to walk it all in one day, particularly IF they have the planned additions to it done. Peace
Believe it or not, I agree with you. It's crazy to pay that much for those things too. My husband would disagree, and I am sure my son will when he gets older as well, but for me, paying $100+ to see a pseudo history boat or a sports game is crazy. I may let the amusement park thing slide though, since I am a bit of an adrenaline junky, and love water parks, but I guess that is just my priorities. Also, I don't want to give that swindling a-hole in Kentucky any more money. So there's that as well.

Not sure how they are going to do additions, unless they win and get tax free status. From all the online articles, they aren't doing to well, and neither is the surrounding area. I guess it's better to build more stuff to get more money from people than to help the area or those who work there though, huh?

Old 07-18-2017, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post
Why? This benefits society to be there. It provided jobs to the people that built it, and it provides jobs to those working there now, not to mention the money spent in tourism.
Please read some stories online. This place is not helping the town like they claimed it would. Try reading into what the locals are saying, and not what you imagine.

Old 07-18-2017, 02:26 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,348,273 times
Quote:
Actually, they're using existing tax law to avoid paying taxes, as was promised when they built it.
You mean tax loopholes. The ones rich people make sure are in the tax codes so that they can remain rich people. The sort of tax loopholes that cause the poorer people to have to shoulder a disproportionate burden of the tax. But you see, the people of Kentucky were also promised something. They were promised tax revenues and jobs. And what they are going to get is a shut down rapidly deteriorating white elephant. Such is the price of faith, gullibility, and abject stupidity.

So why is the ark failing? From what I hear it is deadly boring. And it isn't just bad science, it is silly science. Anyone teaching their children this level of bogus science is consigning them to working at McDonald's, or as a waitress their entire lives. Because high paying tech companies want employees with a background in ACTUAL science.

Old 07-18-2017, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Please read some stories online. This place is not helping the town like they claimed it would. Try reading into what the locals are saying, and not what you imagine.
I personally know people that have gone to see it. They spent money on hotels, dining, gas, etc. I'm sorry if the lawmakers in the area have buyer's remorse, and changed their mind after the fact, but they did promise it to be tax exempt when AIG built it.

Old 07-18-2017, 02:33 PM

Quote:
I personally know people that have gone to see it. They spent money on hotels, dining, gas, etc. I'm sorry if the lawmakers in the area have buyer's remorse, and changed their mind after the fact, but they did promise it to be tax exempt when AIG built it.
And that means absolutely nothing. Read the stories of the people who LIVE there. Not the ones "you know" who went there.

So to you, using tax loopholes and screwing the people who live there is okay, because they were promised it? You think it is okay for a FOR PROFIT BUSINESS to be exempt from taxes? No wonder you are a "fundie". You lack the critical thinking skills to be anything else.

Old 07-18-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
And that means absolutely nothing. Read the stories of the people who LIVE there. Not the ones "you know" who went there.

So to you, using tax loopholes and screwing the people who live there is okay, because they were promised it? You think it is okay for a FOR PROFIT BUSINESS to be exempt from taxes? No wonder you are a "fundie". You lack the critical thinking skills to be anything else.
let's call it as it is. The legislators promised them tax exempt status. They built it. When the politicians reneged on the deal, they did not violate law, but used existing laws to protect themselves. And you claim THEY are the ones doing wrong?

Wow. I'm guessing you probably also rail against the Girl Scouts because they sell cookies every year, don't you? How DARE they make money on overpriced mints!

Old 07-18-2017, 02:49 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,042,068 times
Quote:
Believe it or not, I agree with you. It's crazy to pay that much for those things too. My husband would disagree, and I am sure my son will when he gets older as well, but for me, paying $100+ to see a pseudo history boat or a sports game is crazy. I may let the amusement park thing slide though, since I am a bit of an adrenaline junky, and love water parks, but I guess that is just my priorities. Also, I don't want to give that swindling a-hole in Kentucky any more money. So there's that as well.

Not sure how they are going to do additions, unless they win and get tax free status. From all the online articles, they aren't doing to well, and neither is the surrounding area. I guess it's better to build more stuff to get more money from people than to help the area or those who work there though, huh?

I personally think the price of ALL of it is crazy, but that's the world we live in, and demand dictates price to an extent. When you're the only "game" in town, you get to set the price, and being reasonable was never a part of the equation. Peace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality