Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-13-2017, 01:37 PM

15,849 posts, read 6,308,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbbi1 View Post
The 8 was symbolic anyway, as all of it is. I understand why you think that way, I really do. I had worse thoughts probably, before when I was an agnostic till I was 30. I laid down the flesh of those thoughts to see the Word as He sees it, to be fed the hidden manna, the spiritual food it contains. Blessings...and Peace.
I tried to rep you so you would know I read your post but I must have already repped you recently. In my "experience" I was to believe in that inner voice of mine because it was put there for a reason. I can trust it to help me navigate. It says God has everyone's back and would never harm anyone.

Old 08-13-2017, 01:39 PM

9,588 posts, read 5,039,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
To me it is the concept that you can accept the idea that he can do anything he wants to is not only justified simply because he wanted to do it but that you can also claim that he is moral and that we get our morality from him. I believe that if your God actually did exist, he could make it more clear what is true and what are stories teaching a lesson.

If you had a child, did you try to talk to them about physics in the 3rd grade? If not, why not? Isn't it because they needed to have more foundation laid before they could comprehend more involved and complicated ideas?

Well, He is like the ultimate Teacher. Once you submit to His Spirit and receive Him, He begins to teach you all things, beginning with a foundation, and with everything laid upon that foundation a "building" begins to take form and it's easier to see more and more of what is to be the finished work, just like if you were watching a complicated house going up. You can't tell just from the foundation exactly what the finished project is going to look like. This is what it's like, and this is why you see so many seemingly divergent ideas expressed on here. Everyone is in a different building phase, specific to their own needs, at this time, but the workmanship that stands, is of the Lord. Peace

Old 08-13-2017, 01:54 PM

8,669 posts, read 4,803,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
You have a metaphorical way of writing. Sometimes I don't get everything you type. Are you saying that if I disagree with the justice of a Biblical flood story I am cursing God? I've already confronted "God" on this matter (among many of the other things I was taught to believe). When I did I turned the key and lost my fear. Was that my reward? No fear in love?
Thankyou,
For my part in our conversation I'll only point out. Why concern yourself with the Lord's judgement upon the wicked of a past generation?
Instruction was given to Noah and everyone after.

And to be honest Rbbi1 would be better suited to talk to you about this subject than I would. She would be able to relate more with you considering she is a woman.

Though i may offer some insights later about the structure of the Ark, and what's more important to focus on.

Alright.
Blessings lategrape

Old 08-13-2017, 02:00 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,320,166 times
Quote:
If you had a child, did you try to talk to them about physics in the 3rd grade? If not, why not? Isn't it because they needed to have more foundation laid before they could comprehend more involved and complicated ideas?

Well, He is like the ultimate Teacher. Once you submit to His Spirit and receive Him, He begins to teach you all things, beginning with a foundation, and with everything laid upon that foundation a "building" begins to take form and it's easier to see more and more of what is to be the finished work, just like if you were watching a complicated house going up. You can't tell just from the foundation exactly what the finished project is going to look like. This is what it's like, and this is why you see so many seemingly divergent ideas expressed on here. Everyone is in a different building phase, specific to their own needs, at this time, but the workmanship that stands, is of the Lord. Peace
I see I am just to young to understand that genocide, murder, the owning of other human beings and the raping of those slaves are good things. I hope never to have the breath of your knowledge as you have shown in mocking other religious beliefs and in justifying the actions of your God. So until I can understand how the drowning of babies and fetus are useful in the building of his mansion I should just accept that those were good actions? Next time I see a child drowning I will know that it is just in its own building stage and ignore the drowning. As I said I could never become the type of believer that you are. And his workmanship on the global flood must of been terrific as it lt zero trace of ever happening.

And to answer your question, yes I would explain some basic physics to a 3rd grader, even to a 3 year old. I certainly would not tell a 3rd grader that God did it as a way to explain everything and tell him that God could kill him if he wanted just for any reason. Your whole building analogy is simply a blank cheque to accept everything without question regardless of logic, possibility or morality.

Old 08-13-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L8Gr8Apost8 View Post
I tried to rep you so you would know I read your post but I must have already repped you recently. In my "experience" I was to believe in that inner voice of mine because it was put there for a reason. I can trust it to help me navigate. It says God has everyone's back and would never harm anyone.

And I believe you had an experience with Him. I have no reason to believe otherwise. Many things have to be thrown out, just don't throw out the baby with the bathwater. EVERYTHING He does is for the greater good of humanity, no matter what it may "appear" at the time. Coming out of the good and evil mindset also includes our thoughts about Him, you know.

Thanks for the attempted rep, anyway. Peace

Old 08-13-2017, 02:21 PM

Quote:
I see I am just to young to understand that genocide, murder, the owning of other human beings and the raping of those slaves are good things. I hope never to have the breath of your knowledge as you have shown in mocking other religious beliefs and in justifying the actions of your God. So until I can understand how the drowning of babies and fetus are useful in the building of his mansion I should just accept that those were good actions? Next time I see a child drowning I will know that it is just in its own building stage and ignore the drowning. As I said I could never become the type of believer that you are. And his workmanship on the global flood must of been terrific as it lt zero trace of ever happening.

And to answer your question, yes I would explain some basic physics to a 3rd grader, even to a 3 year old. I certainly would not tell a 3rd grader that God did it as a way to explain everything and tell him that God could kill him if he wanted just for any reason. Your whole building analogy is simply a blank cheque to accept everything without question regardless of logic, possibility or morality.

If it has zero trace of it ever happening, then why oh why does it offend you so much? And if it's just a story illustrating G-d destroying the evil flesh, that the spirit might raise up (which it is), in type, like a massive resurrection (8 being a symbolic number that also relates to those destroyed in part), why oh why does that offend you so much? What then, do you have against the resurrection from the dead? Do you wish to remain so when you die? Peace

Old 08-13-2017, 02:23 PM

11,021 posts, read 5,976,518 times
Quote:

Very good post. Out of reps.

Old 08-13-2017, 02:42 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Would the genocide of the Armenians, or of American First Nations be better? Because that is what is behind the flood story, God killing every man, woman, child, infant and fetus. Plus the vast majority of every species of animals. As a non believer I can understand those who believe in God and view the flood story as a lesson for everyone to behave and to ensure that your friends and neighbors do the same. But for those who believe that it was not a lesson but an actual event that did occur, how can you not see that others view it as a massive genocide killing almost everything, creating genetic bottlenecks for every species and a terrifying death for all those that drown. And that you can believe that it is a wonderful story. According to your Bible, Hitler did actually allow more Jews to survive that God did of those not in Noah's immediate family. I just fail to see how creationists not only justify this genocide but are actively trying to have others believe that there is science backing the flood and it must be something worthy to celebrate. Even if I saw evidence that convinced me that a God exists and I explored and choose either Judaism or Christianity, I would not be able to become a fundamentalist in either partly through all the saddistic parts of the Bible and partly through the fundamentalists mindset of twisting everything so it all fits regardless of how large and square the peg and how small and round the hole.

Old 08-13-2017, 02:49 PM

63,779 posts, read 40,038,426 times
Quote:
Why is the concept that HE is G-d, HE created us, and therefore HE can establish whatever rules He wants, do whatever He wants, hard to grasp, it seems? He does with He wants, with who He wants, anytime He wants, any way He wants, and He is completely independent and sovereign of any input on it. If He was NOT, then He would not be G-d, aka number 1.
It is not remotely hard to grasp. It is repulsive, capricious and antithetic to any concept of morality, decency or justice. Why is THAT so hard for you to grasp? How could that EVER be considered God?

Old 08-13-2017, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
It is not remotely hard to grasp. It is repulsive, capricious and antithetic to any concept of morality, decency or justice. Why is THAT so hard for you to grasp? How could that EVER be considered God?

Really upsets the carnal mind's apple cart, doesn't it? Good, because that means it's working, shaking everything that can be shaken, in heaven/spirit and in earth/flesh. Peace
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality