Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-09-2016, 11:14 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,883,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius
Atheists are such hypocrites. You accuse Christians of improperly spending money yet Atheists spend tons of money on billboards around the country making fun of God and the Bible.
Quote:
TRANNY responded:
That's because atheism is true and Creationism isn't.
So Atheists are such hypocrites because atheism is true and Creationism isn't? Hmm. That makes about as much sense that all life on earth came from the single celled organism (according to the high priests of evolution).

Quote:
That's why we are not being hypocritical. Think, now, before you come back with kneejerk denial, what I have in reserve.
No, but you are being hypocritical. You denounce the Christians for spending all that money on a theme park rather than feeding or clothing the poor when, at the same time, Atheists are spending money on billboards and who knows what else, all to make fun of God and the Bible rather than helping to feed and clothe the poor.

Personally, I'm not into Christian theme parks. I could care less. But just don't play the hypocrite, Atheists.

Old 07-09-2016, 11:28 AM

5,190 posts, read 5,311,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
You denounce the Christians for spending all that money on a theme park rather than feeding or clothing the poor when, at the same time, Atheists are spending money on billboards and who knows what else, all to make fun of God and the Bible rather than helping to feed and clothe the poor.
Personally, I am a non-believer myself. And I don't understand the need some nonbelievers seem to have to promote their nonbelief. To organize, advertise, etc. Seems silly and pointless to me, like having a club or group for people who don't collect stamps. Makes about as much sense to me as a bald man going to the barber.

At the same time, I travel widely and, yes, I have seen an occasional billboard which seems to be atheistic in intent. There were a few that sprung up in Oklahoma a few years back...maybe a half-dozen of them in the two metro areas of the state. They had nothing to do with ridiculing anyone or denouncing any belief. They simply had a picture of a person under which it would give their name and occupation, and then underneath was written "This is the face of an atheist." Just, I guess, to let people know that atheists aren't weird or extreme or evil or have horns and forked tongues, or what have you.

I feel confident in saying money "wasted" by atheist groups (the existence of which, again, I don't see the point of) on a few billboards is many, many, many, many orders of magnitude smaller than that wasted by churches on bigger, fancier churches, advertising, etc. Not to mention, I wonder how many atheist "leaders" are getting rich off the back of their "followers" like we have for centuries seen corrupt pastors, preachers, ministers and priests do.

The stereotype of the grinning televangelist with 5 vacation homes, private jet, two yachts and a fleet of hot sports cars IS just that: a stereotype. It's become a stereotype because it has and does happen so often (see the discussion of Joel Osteen, Creflo Dollar, etc. on another thread.)

Quote:
Personally, I'm not into Christian theme parks. I could care less. But just don't play the hypocrite, Atheists.
Hypocrisy is a common (perhaps universal) human attribute. It is not intrinsic to atheists, Christians or any other specific group one can point to. Nor can it be said that all members of any group are always hypocrits, or that any specific group is free of hypocrites, etc.

Old 07-09-2016, 11:40 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,592,408 times
Quote:
So Atheists are such hypocrites because atheism is true and Creationism isn't? Hmm. That makes about as much sense that all life on earth came from the single celled organism (according to the high priests of evolution).

No, but you are being hypocritical. You denounce the Christians for spending all that money on a theme park rather than feeding or clothing the poor when, at the same time, Atheists are spending money on billboards and who knows what else, all to make fun of God and the Bible rather than helping to feed and clothe the poor.

In which Bible verse does Jesus command you to spend millions building theme parks?

Old 07-09-2016, 11:43 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,873,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Boy you really have some thing against Ken Ham. It was a work day, you know.
Meh, retired. Your excuse?

Old 07-09-2016, 11:49 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,873,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by froglipz View Post
What ever floats your boat!
LOL... that thing never will, and, it's supposed ancestor, never could. Too long, too much pitch, yaw and roll which caused too much leaking.

And if any of you creationists need proof of that, well, here you go:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F4OhXQTMOEc

Go to 2:33 if you want to see a discussion on the engineering problem.

Old 07-09-2016, 11:56 AM

10,070 posts, read 5,684,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
Ken Ham is a jerk, and should be returned to his country of birth.
Typical atheist attitude.

Old 07-09-2016, 11:56 AM

50,079 posts, read 20,498,587 times
Quote:

That's a laugh from someone who used a quitemine

"That's (is why they are being hypocritical) because atheism is true and Creationism isn't."

and then exposed in in the same post.

"That's why we are not being hypocritical."

Every time I think you have plumbed the depths, you sink a bit deeper - you hardly needed the half -hearted attempt to play the 'single cell' argument, which you seem to think you scraped a draw on.

You and the rest of the creationists are, if the evidence counts - trying to fool the people - which is bad, even if it isn't done at taxpayers' expense. We are doing a service, unpaid and largely unthanked - saving them from being lied to. A social service which is worth it even if it was done at taxpayers' expense -which, I would wager my pension, it isn't.

Have you asked Ken Hamm whether the Ark would be a good place to display all your crash and burns? You might just about cram them all in.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 07-09-2016 at 12:08 PM..

Old 07-09-2016, 11:59 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,797,345 times
Quote:
Atheists are such hypocrites. You accuse Christians of improperly spending money yet Atheists spend tons of money on billboards around the country making fun of God and the Bible.
Yeah...but they don't get tax relief on the money they spend.

Old 07-09-2016, 12:06 PM

50,079 posts, read 20,498,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Typical atheist attitude.
I have to give you that one Jeff. That is indeed down to atheists and not at all the sort of remark a Fundamentalist Christian would make.

At least it is years since I heard "If they don't want to live in a Christian country, why don't they leave?" or even "You're not even American! Why are you here on this forum criticizing us?"
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeall View Post
Well Jeff, considering Summer vacation season is in full swing, it looks like Christian tourism isn't a very popular option. The ark looks very cheesy with plastic animals, at the very least Ham could have invested a small petting zoo. Who would pay 40 bucks to visit something so lackluster? Ham, is acting like a self proclaimed "Christian P.T. Barnum" and he will quickly learn that a sucker is not born every minute.
Nice idea but risky - in the Ark. You don't see it? Just a few juvenile farm animals and the noise, the smell, the poo. The parents complain to the attendants,

"What do you expect? There's only eight of us."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Personally, I am a non-believer myself. And I don't understand the need some nonbelievers seem to have to promote their nonbelief. To organize, advertise, etc. Seems silly and pointless to me, like having a club or group for people who don't collect stamps. Makes about as much sense to me as a bald man going to the barber.

At the same time, I travel widely and, yes, I have seen an occasional billboard which seems to be atheistic in intent. There were a few that sprung up in Oklahoma a few years back...maybe a half-dozen of them in the two metro areas of the state. They had nothing to do with ridiculing anyone or denouncing any belief. They simply had a picture of a person under which it would give their name and occupation, and then underneath was written "This is the face of an atheist." Just, I guess, to let people know that atheists aren't weird or extreme or evil or have horns and forked tongues, or what have you.

I feel confident in saying money "wasted" by atheist groups (the existence of which, again, I don't see the point of) on a few billboards is many, many, many, many orders of magnitude smaller than that wasted by churches on bigger, fancier churches, advertising, etc. Not to mention, I wonder how many atheist "leaders" are getting rich off the back of their "followers" like we have for centuries seen corrupt pastors, preachers, ministers and priests do.

The stereotype of the grinning televangelist with 5 vacation homes, private jet, two yachts and a fleet of hot sports cars IS just that: a stereotype. It's become a stereotype because it has and does happen so often (see the discussion of Joel Osteen, Creflo Dollar, etc. on another thread.)

Hypocrisy is a common (perhaps universal) human attribute. It is not intrinsic to atheists, Christians or any other specific group one can point to. Nor can it be said that all members of any group are always hypocrits, or that any specific group is free of hypocrites, etc.
It is an ongoing discussion about the right way to do militant atheism. I think you must do it in the US as, if you are silent, they will win, obliterate you, obliterate Separation, obliterate any worthwhile education, law and science, obliterate everything other than Bible -literalism. And that would mean a lot of Deists and Agnostics would go, too.

So, How? There's a lot I wouldn't do myself. Billboards, court cases, debates. I think they might be effective. TV channels (Austin atheists) books, you -tubes, effective, I'm sure.

Zombie Jesus marches, and certainly online harassment Trolling and flaming (of course anything other than dead silence is "Trolling" to some theists) I don'tlike myself. Nor do I light the idea of changing our name to "Brights" or anything else.

But if any of these (if they don't cross the line) are effective, then I have no case: they were worth doing. Dawkins' bus advert seemed a bit of a waste of money, but looking back, it was a milestone.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 07-09-2016 at 12:18 PM..

Old 07-09-2016, 12:16 PM

10,070 posts, read 5,684,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElizaTeall View Post
Well Jeff, considering Summer vacation season is in full swing, it looks like Christian tourism isn't a very popular option. The ark looks very cheesy with plastic animals, at the very least Ham could have invested a small petting zoo. Who would pay 40 bucks to visit something so lackluster? Ham, is acting like a self proclaimed "Christian P.T. Barnum" and he will quickly learn that a sucker is not born every minute.
Tourism is down period. People don't have disposable income like they did 10-20 years ago. I have a friend who works in the tourism industry in Branson and she said it's been a really lean year. I would love to go if it was closer. Ken has built a beautiful park and the ark looks pretty amazing in photos. There are other attractions like a zoo and zip line.

The sad thing is atheists just gleefully want to see this project fail completely which only hurts the residents of Kentucky. Kentucky is a poverty state and this park could be a huge boost to the local economy and bring jobs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality