Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-14-2016, 04:22 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,604,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
This thread is probably indicative, in a very small degree, what Noah and family must have endured for 100 years while building the massive ark. I can just hear some of them yelling at Noah:

"Hey Noah! It's been almost 100 years now! Where's the big flood you promised?!"
"Yea Noah! We haven't had a drop of rain for over a hundred years! HA! Where is this rain coming from? HA!HA! HA!
And little children throwing rocks and other things at Noah and family and women too. And hurling more and more insults. All the atheists probably picketed it walking round and round the ark and trying to disrupt the work flow. That's probably another reason it took so long to build the ark. But God was patient with those people for 100 years. He pleaded with them through Noah, a preacher of righteousness to turn from their evil ways. But no. They obviously knew better than Noah . . . until the rain came.
And today God is made out to be a baby killer due to the flood. Yet for 100 years He Plead with those mothers to turn from their evil ways. As it turns out, the mothers are the real baby killers. They had a chance to get on the ark but refused in spite of their babies drowning.
I saw the movie too, when do you except the rock monsters that helped noah lift those heave timber?

Old 07-14-2016, 04:23 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,323,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Stop it Vizio. You are making yourself sound more and more ignorant than your intelligence should.

I think you better stop using all modern implements, including the vehicle you drive, the gun you shoot, the computer you type on. All of those are as a result of the use of geology (metals and oil), chemistry and physics. You CANNOT separate the science used for those purposes from the SAME science used to date the earth, or analyse its components. Name one aspect of any of those sciences that are used wrongly, or in your words, in a "pop science" manner.

Just one of those three will suffice. But knowing you, you will not answer, because you can not.

Especially when he is just assuming that the gun is going to fire forward simply because it always had before. It could shoot sideways or backwards just as easily as it was for a river to flow in the midst of an ocean laying down course deposit.

When science shows that something other than what I what to think it should be I look first to see if the science is actually reported correctly and then why I am at odds with the science. I do not know the correct time to say that because I do not agree with the results it is pop science or is a lie.

Old 07-14-2016, 04:25 PM

5,912 posts, read 2,604,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
All the layers that can be seen in the Grand Canyon come from the world-wide flood of Noah's day. I believe the creation exhibit near Ken Ham's Ark shows how this is so.
Situation from a nonreligious sourse or please for your gods sakes stop sinning you lier

Old 07-14-2016, 04:49 PM

5,189 posts, read 5,335,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Which has been beat to death. We get it. You don't buy Noah's ark. Move on. No, atheists LOVE to harp on this one story because it doesn't fit well with a modern day landscape.
I don't think it's "this one story." Though, I think it is a marvelous story, and can speak to us so much about ancient people, their relationship with their gods, the human condition in general.

I find so many of the stories from The Bible moving, meaningful, powerful and profound.

I just recognize them as myths. All cultures have them. There is no reason to claim that only the Judeo-Christian myths are 100% historically accurate. That's nonsense, and why would it matter anyway?

As I've said, the fact they aren't all literally true does not mean they are lies. They may not be "factual" but that doesn't mean they are devoid of truth.

I think again of the way Jesus is said to have taught, at times, in parables. The fact the actual stories he told through parable weren't factual history doesn't mean they should be disregarded. it means they convey a higher, or deeper, form of truth.

I still can't understand why any believer is so invested in asserting that the Bible is 100% literally true and historically accurate. I can't see the point of it. I have no proof for this statement, but I imagine MOST Christians don't take The Bible as inerrant, or perfect, or 100% true, in the sense of being factually true.

Seems to me that viewpoint really cheapens it. I love the Bible and have gotten a lot out of it over the years. it's beautiful. It's majestic. It's mysterious. It provokes me to think. It moves me to tears at times. I honestly can think of no other group of writings in all of human history that are as profound, or have had as profound an impact on the world (for good and bad.)

If I were just to flip it open and try to accept it verbatim...it would seem much more one-dimensional and lacking in richness.

I'll bring up Santa Claus again. For a child, they may well believe (because they are taught it) that Santa Claus is a real person (likely he is based loosely on one) or elf or whatever capable of sliding down chimneys and delivering gifts to billions of Christians across the globe one night a year.

A reasonable adult wouldn't take the stories of Santa Claus as "real" but can appreciate the symbolism of giving, sharing, a little bit of magic and wonder. That doesn't make Santa Claus some evil lie that must be stamped out, or take away all meaning and worth from the legendary figure of Santa Claus. In fact, it's a way of viewing the figure of Santa and the things he does in a much deeper way.

Old 07-14-2016, 04:54 PM

63,807 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
I don't think it's "this one story." Though, I think it is a marvelous story, and can speak to us so much about ancient people, their relationship with their gods, the human condition in general.
I find so many of the stories from The Bible moving, meaningful, powerful and profound.

I just recognize them as myths. All cultures have them. There is no reason to claim that only the Judeo-Christian myths are 100% historically accurate. That's nonsense, and why would it matter anyway?

As I've said, the fact they aren't all literally true does not mean they are lies. They may not be "factual" but that doesn't mean they are devoid of truth.

I think again of the way Jesus is said to have taught, at times, in parables. The fact the actual stories he told through parable weren't factual history doesn't mean they should be disregarded. it means they convey a higher, or deeper, form of truth.

I still can't understand why any believer is so invested in asserting that the Bible is 100% literally true and historically accurate. I can't see the point of it. I have no proof for this statement, but I imagine MOST Christians don't take The Bible as inerrant, or perfect, or 100% true, in the sense of being factually true.

Seems to me that viewpoint really cheapens it. I love the Bible and have gotten a lot out of it over the years. it's beautiful. It's majestic. It's mysterious. It provokes me to think. It moves me to tears at times. I honestly can think of no other group of writings in all of human history that are as profound, or have had as profound an impact on the world (for good and bad.)

If I were just to flip it open and try to accept it verbatim...it would seem much more one-dimensional and lacking in richness.

I'll bring up Santa Claus again. For a child, they may well believe (because they are taught it) that Santa Claus is a real person (likely he is based loosely on one) or elf or whatever capable of sliding down chimneys and delivering gifts to billions of Christians across the globe one night a year.

A reasonable adult wouldn't take the stories of Santa Claus as "real" but can appreciate the symbolism of giving, sharing, a little bit of magic and wonder. That doesn't make Santa Claus some evil lie that must be stamped out, or take away all meaning and worth from the legendary figure of Santa Claus. In fact, it's a way of viewing the figure of Santa and the things he does in a much deeper way.
I think you will find the capacity for the deeper kind of thought you are referring to is rather rare in this forum.

Old 07-14-2016, 05:02 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times
One of the funniest guys is Trae Crowder, a Tennessee resident who calls himself the "Liberal Redneck".

Some language warning, so may NSFW. This is his perspective on the Ark. I think even if you don't like his perspective, he is funny.

Liberal Redneck Trae Crowder says $100M Noah?s Ark is ?bullsh??

Old 07-14-2016, 05:11 PM

13,601 posts, read 4,931,126 times
As a Christian, I find this to be a real pity. First, that someone like Ken Ham expends so much effort to convince people of the literalness of a story that is very clearly not intended to be taken literally. Second, because of the colossal waste of money.

Old 07-14-2016, 05:24 PM

7,447 posts, read 2,832,835 times
Anybody wanna buy a very slightly used ark?

Old 07-14-2016, 05:45 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,172,734 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
No, but I'd happily take the $100 million that was wasted on Ham's show of hubris and use it to help the poor.

Old 07-14-2016, 05:48 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,536,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zzzSnorlax View Post
I'll buy it!! Noah's Ark Trailer Park Mega Mall! For all your one-stop ammo camo needs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Because much of what passes for geology, physics and chemistry is essentially, pop science.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality