Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-17-2016, 02:17 AM

1,248 posts, read 823,741 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post
Ha...yeah. Recently mentioned this, but one of my faves is from the. Second Book of Kings, in which a group of children makes fun of the prophet Elisha's bald head. He curses them, and Yahweh sends two she-bears to maul 42 of the children to death.

Makes for great storytelling around the fire at Bible Camp, between choruses of "Kumbaya."
To be fair, the Biblical word does not necesarily mean children, it can also mean "youths" as in teenagers. If you are alone, encircled by 42 young thugs who throw insults at you and who knows what they will do next, I am sure the bears would come as a relief

Old 07-17-2016, 02:24 AM

1,248 posts, read 823,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
Atheists believe this is all we get, so it has a great deal of meaning. None of it, however, involves spending our life hoping we'll live forever praising an imaginary friend.
I think for most people, life has no great deal of meaning, much less any profound, overarching meaning. Otherwise they would not be squandering the one life they have chasing pixels on the screen in videogames or engaging in other similar pointless stupidity.

Old 07-17-2016, 04:25 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,965,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
To be fair, the Biblical word does not necesarily mean children, it can also mean "youths" as in teenagers. If you are alone, encircled by 42 young thugs who throw insults at you and who knows what they will do next, I am sure the bears would come as a relief
Also, I'm not so sure the Bible says the bear killed those thugs.

Also, those Israelite thugs were living under the law and so should have known never to hurl insults at a prophet. Those thugs are an indicator of the rest of Israel at that time who had thrown the law aside and were killing God's prophets. Sometimes drastic measures are needed to get the rest of the nation to start listening to God's prophet since the whole nation was under all the curses of the law should they not do all the law.

Old 07-17-2016, 04:33 AM

17,966 posts, read 15,965,181 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FredNotBob View Post
I'm going to ask you something, Jeff -- something direct and unequivocal:

On this board, you are the representative of your church, and a representative (among several) of your faith. You are, effectively, the 'face' of your religion in discussions such as this.

My question is:

Accepting for the moment that you are one of this forums' primary points-of-contact for those wishing to learn of Christianity, what have you taught us? What are you demonstrating about your faith?

All that I've learned from watching you is that Christians are hard-headed, stubborn, occasionally arrogant, sometimes unreasonable and quite often intolerant. I've seen few, if any, examples of how Christians can be charitable, kind, tolerant, fair-minded, or anything else that the Bible purports them to be.

Now, for the record: I know that's not necessarily the case. So, given the above -- what are a newcomer's first impressions of Christianity likely to be when they meet you?

Think about that for a few minutes.

You are a reflection of your faith.
Your behavior -- as a Christian -- demonstrates what we might expect from Christianity as a whole.

Am I to accept that Christianity is a kind, tolerant, peaceful religion, as you say, or should I judge you by your actions -- actions that continually suggest the exact opposite?

You're the only one that can determine that, Jeff.
Personally, I have read quite a lot of Jeffbase40's posts and have seen his interactions with those who make fun of him, cajoled him, yelled at him, and on and on. It really paints an ugly picture of what people are capable of when they don't agree with a Christian. And I have seen Jeff being very patient with these people. I've seen him be very charitable with their uncharitable remarks toward him. I've seen him be very tolerant of their intolerance toward him. I'm actually very proud of Jeff. He has been trying to get folks here to see things in a perspective they don't share and that has been met with quite a lot of put downs aimed at Jeff and many negative posts aimed at him.

Old 07-17-2016, 05:07 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,709,055 times
Indeed? Then I can only suppose your view of Jeff is as Filtered as your view of evolution -theory, history, archaelogy, science (which you claim to love and yet dismiss as a lot of lies put about by fake scientists who know better but are either bribed or afraid to offend the global power of the atheist cabal), logic, geology, genetics, cosmology and just about everything else.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Also, I'm not so sure the Bible says the bear killed those thugs.

Also, those Israelite thugs were living under the law and so should have known never to hurl insults at a prophet. Those thugs are an indicator of the rest of Israel at that time who had thrown the law aside and were killing God's prophets. Sometimes drastic measures are needed to get the rest of the nation to start listening to God's prophet since the whole nation was under all the curses of the law should they not do all the law.
What an interesting view. It looks...correct me if I am wrong on this...but it looks like you are taking the view that God and Israel were at odds at this time and God was in fact punishing them rather than rooting for them.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 07-17-2016 at 05:30 AM..

Old 07-17-2016, 05:07 AM

5,912 posts, read 2,603,327 times
Adult language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zP7CgLIJ5DE

Old 07-17-2016, 05:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Not that there is any such thing as a 'soul' but of course I did! It's all in the genes. They are passed on through the physical parents.

Your foolish analogies are preposterous..and somewhat infantile but I'll play. The baker would be me.
Non logical analogies perhaps. 'the Baker' would be an intelligent designer. And then where did the baker come from? Parents. Where did they come from? Common primate ancestor and all the way back to the origins of Life, the Universe and everything. And the inevitable opting either for an invisible intelligent being with creative powers that itself didn't need creating, or some way in which life could come from non -life and matter could come from non -matter.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 07-17-2016 at 05:33 AM..

Old 07-17-2016, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Last Amalekite 1Sam15 View Post
Thank you and sometimes that Type of vid can be be too much pisstaking and too little substance, but he has hit the nail on the head every time. One day all this genesis is history (and science ) crap will go the way of the Flat earth, but there's work to do yet, before this bigger waste of money than Bliar's vainglorious Millennium Dome (which is at least a Sight) is either demolished or collapses in a rainstorm (God, I'd laugh .."Oh well it wasn't supposed to actually work as an Ark, it was just a big fat timber lie pretending to prove that it did work" ) and Ken Ham's US passport is shredded and he is loaded on the next Quantas flight to Melbourne, where (if they have any sense) they will block him at customs,

Old 07-17-2016, 06:09 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,692,112 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norne View Post
Some of the interpretations say young boys, young lads, or just boys. None of them mention "thugs" at all, nor does it mention being encircled. I doubt that any adult in any other context would support an attack by a bear, whether deadly or simply injurious, as a just punishment for a verbal insult.

Old 07-17-2016, 06:26 AM

10,087 posts, read 5,731,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eusebius View Post
Personally, I have read quite a lot of Jeffbase40's posts and have seen his interactions with those who make fun of him, cajoled him, yelled at him, and on and on. It really paints an ugly picture of what people are capable of when they don't agree with a Christian. And I have seen Jeff being very patient with these people. I've seen him be very charitable with their uncharitable remarks toward him. I've seen him be very tolerant of their intolerance toward him. I'm actually very proud of Jeff. He has been trying to get folks here to see things in a perspective they don't share and that has been met with quite a lot of put downs aimed at Jeff and many negative posts aimed at him.
Thanks my brother. Yeah I've complained so many times that it just irks me when people here direct the conversation towards me personally instead of the sticking to the main topic. It's not so much the personal insults that bother me, but rather the attitude that it is perfectly fine to use this tactic and mock Christians. And if I respond in a biting fashion, I'm the one doing wrong?

Fred talks about my actions. Actions? This is a discussion board. You share ideas, not actions. People act like it's real life here. Besides, I get dumped on even if I share about my real life actions. A few weeks ago, I opened up a little about my personal life and how I use the healing power of music and play fingerstyle guitar for assisted living and alzheimer patients. What was the reaction here? That I should be ashamed because I am playing for rich people. Unbelievable. I have to admit, that really offended me. It doesn't matter what we say or do. They will always find a way to criticize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality