Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 05:27 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,042,995 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I don't find it offensive. It's not that funny but not offensive.

I guess most of you haven't seen a comedian. You must have been in your safe place.
Do you think they need "trigger warnings" for these signs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j556MWGVVqI
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 06:18 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
You mean like funny beliefs that your great ancestor was goop from soup. Oh wait, it looks like that's been revised. He came from gasses in the earth.
I fear Some have not evolved far from that original primordial soup.

Old 07-15-2016, 06:21 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
First of all, I doubt their misspelling atheist was on purpose. Second, their lame claim that Moses had a speech impediment is ridiculous. Give me a break. Someone in charge of the sign did something stupid and they won't own up to it.
Now now, talking about my fellow Detroiters will get us nowhere..

Old 07-15-2016, 06:50 AM

10,086 posts, read 5,729,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
I fear Some have not evolved far from that original primordial soup.
Cheap pathetic insult.

Old 07-15-2016, 07:39 AM

7,447 posts, read 2,830,451 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Cheap pathetic insult.
Because blatantly lying is not cheap and pathetic.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:31 AM

4,747 posts, read 2,346,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Not huge on political correctness, but don't accept making fun of disabled either. I'll leave that to the Trump supporters.

Church sign making fun of dyslexia, atheists has many offended - Story | WJBK

A local school administrator said this:
"I was offended by it," she said. "People who have dyslexia, they have a disability. It's very insensitive to put something like this in the public eye."
The joke goes like this:

Did you hear about the dyslexic atheist insomniac who stay awake all night wondering if there is a dog?

Old 07-16-2016, 09:43 PM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkalot View Post
I don't find it offensive. It's not that funny but not offensive.

I guess most of you haven't seen a comedian. You must have been in your safe place.
Yes, I heard the "dyslexic says there is is no dog" joke back in the 80s.

Old 07-17-2016, 08:51 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,874,865 times
Atheists are in far more horrifying philosophical box that makes anything about the sign moot. Churches like to be cute and creative and some are far out. I can live with it, but the message needs to be thought provoking not irritating. How about " God to atheists....bring it!". My feelings are people who are atheists, think they are atheists or wannabees are usually pretty intelligent. God welcomes the challenge but most are lost in a web of foo foo and never examine Gods words in organized forum over let's say 2 years twice a week. Being dislinked has far reaching outcomes especially when their reasoning is wrong at the end of the day. Faith takes time management and many churchless, faithless folks are s pathetic lot. I would help them but I'm lukewarm and preoccupied trying to save my ass.

Old 07-19-2016, 02:56 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,332,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
My feelings are people who are atheists, think they are atheists or wannabees are usually pretty intelligent. God welcomes the challenge but most are lost in a web of foo foo and never examine Gods words...
Most nonbelievers I've met seem to be pretty familiar with The Bible, (and in these cases, their familiarity with it is one of the chief reasons they name as to why they don't believe...)

Old 07-21-2016, 03:17 PM

467 posts, read 352,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
I'm dyslexic and I am not even the tiniest bit offended. But then, I am not an atheist, so maybe that's only offensive to dyslexic atheists?

I think it is a silly thing to put on the church sign, but anyone who finds it offensive is way too sensitive.
Agreed. To me, the most noticeable aspect of the sign was that it wasn't actually funny, although I'm pretty sure that it was intended to be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality