Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-16-2016, 03:13 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,709,055 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
The Constitution does not guarantee a life free from offense. One is not guaranteed the right to never be offended.
Yes. It is too often the thin edge of the "Respect" ploy, which is itself the rhin edge of the "Blasphemy" gambit.

But this came up not long ago wih Jews playing Wagner in Israel. It caue a lot of offense and that was understandable. But time to move on. There were some old veterans who could not bear to see Japanese planes with meatballs re -enacting Pearl harbour at an airshow, and never mind a B52 flying overhead with bomb doors open and an "A" painted on the side.

Time to move on with the Confederate Battle Flag (thanks Mensa - so many people talk about the Union Jack when they mean the Union Flag - the "Jack" is the Naval Union flag.)

Of course on the "We know it when we see it" basis, waving the Confederate flag at a KKK rally is offensive and intended to be so. Just as Wagner played through a loudspeaker a a synagogue by people wearing swastikas would be.

Hardly appropriate, but the Uk -Indian sketch "Going for an English" popped into my head. It hit hard at the time, but it was a lesson.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=huSP7PtctC4
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 03:14 AM

6,324 posts, read 4,322,235 times
Quote:
First of all...nonsense.
First of all, back it up with something. Typing "nonsense" and failing to explain why is the adult equivalent of shouting "NUH UH!" and then running home.

Quote:
Second of all....so what if it did? The judge has a right to fly what he wants.
LOL! Really? A courtroom in the United States is considered public property -- i.e. owned by the people. The judge does NOT have the right to "fly what he wants" in a courtroom he doesn't even own. If we're talking about his office, then I'll agree ... he can display whatever flag he wants (though I doubt flying the flag of the Third Reich, for instance, will get him very far).

And speaking of the Third Reich, we all know the drill here. Yeah, it's easy to say the judge has the "right to fly what he wants" when the flag represents your religion or symbolizes a message you happen to agree with. But if that judge flew a Satanic flag, you'd be biting your fingers off to avoid writing a post saying pretty much what I'm saying now ... that no, he does NOT have a "right" to fly a Satanic flag in a courtroom. You would just remain silent instead knowing that I would call you to the carpet for saying a judge has the right to fly a Christian flag but not a Satanic flag.

Quote:
The Constitution says NOTHING to the contrary. If you have a problem with it, and you can prove a bias based on that religion, then file an appeal.
For crying out loud, Vizio, you ARE aware that the Constitution isn't the only legal document in the country, right? I mean, those big, thick books you often see behind judges and lawyers, well, they aren't empty. They are filled with thousands upon thousands of cases, many of which have set precedents that determine how the Constitution is interpreted. In fact, MOST cases don't even get to the SCOTUS because there is enough case law in those big, thick books that it doesn't require a dream team of Constitutional scholars to figure it out ... like THIS case.

I've already explained in enough detail why a judge should never be allowed to fly a Christian flag in a government courtroom and there's a pretty good chance the FFRF will win. All you've said in response is "nonsense" which, of course, leads me to believe that you really don't have a counter-argument and instead decided to rely on some strict reading of the Constitution to make your point.

Except those big, thick books you often see behind judges and lawyers will tell you otherwise. In fact, I would pull up some relevant case law myself if I had access to those sites. Unfortunately I don't have said access now that I'm out of school and I'm not paying a small fortune in searchable online journal subscriptions just so you can say "nonsense" to all of my research.

Quote:
Third.....it's not an official flag.
It doesn't matter if it's official or not.

Old 07-16-2016, 03:30 AM

Thanks Shirina. There seems a congenital inability for the religious of a certain stripe (Red, intersecting, on a white field) to understand that public paid servants cannot just do what they like.

It's becoming a bit of a whiskered one, but it doesn't seem to get through - that they would scream bloody murder if an Islamic flag was put up behind he Judge's chair (though Jeff would be fine with that - so he tells us).

Btw, how are you girl? We think about you and it worries us when you only despatch the opponent with a few thrusts rather than cut them to bits slowly with a serrated stone -saw.

Old 07-16-2016, 03:46 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,216,461 times
I wonder if a defendant who openly practices a lifestyle known to be an abomination in the eyes of Christians can expect a fair trial in that courtroom. How about an atheist assuming the judge has Jeff's ability to recognize non-believers on sight?

Old 07-16-2016, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
I wonder if a defendant who openly practices a lifestyle known to be an abomination in the eyes of Christians can expect a fair trial in that courtroom. How about an atheist assuming the judge has Jeff's ability to recognize non-believers on sight?
How the hell can he do that? Could it be something to do with my "Show me a Christian..." T -shirt?

Old 07-17-2016, 03:44 AM

8,005 posts, read 7,216,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
How the hell can he do that? Could it be something to do with my "Show me a Christian..." T -shirt?
You'll have to ask Jeff. His atheist radar is so well calibrated that he knows for a fact that every atheist he's ever encountered has been nasty. Hopefully his ability is rare.

Old 07-17-2016, 04:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1insider View Post
You'll have to ask Jeff. His atheist radar is so well calibrated that he knows for a fact that every atheist he's ever encountered has been nasty. Hopefully his ability is rare.
Could be...like every single Frenchman I've ever called a "Cheese -eating surrender monkey" has been irritable. Must be a national trait.

Old 07-17-2016, 06:34 AM

5,458 posts, read 6,714,569 times
Quote:
First of all...nonsense.

Second of all....so what if it did? The judge has a right to fly what he wants. The Constitution says NOTHING to the contrary.
Similar displays of religious propaganda have run afoul of the 1st amendment, e.g :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Orden_v._Perry
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCrea...iberties_Union
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glassroth_v._Moore
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_..._Commissioners

Heck, there are so many of these example that it is hard to imagine that someone so interested in Constitutional Law wouldn't have known about them.

Old 07-17-2016, 09:27 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,919,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCfromNC View Post
Similar displays of religious propaganda have run afoul of the 1st amendment, e.g :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Van_Orden_v._Perry
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/McCrea...iberties_Union
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glassroth_v._Moore
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Green_..._Commissioners

Heck, there are so many of these example that it is hard to imagine that someone so interested in Constitutional Law wouldn't have known about them.
Oh, that would be those ******* judges who know nothing about the Constitution. According to Vizio.

Old 07-17-2016, 09:53 AM

6,961 posts, read 4,613,970 times
Quote:
The Confederate flag has less to do with slavery and bigotry than it does with southern pride. If a community wants to fly the flag, they are welcome to do so. Heck, I grew up watching Bo and Luke being chased by Rosco with the flag printed on top of their car. There was nothing racist about it.
The Southern Pride of bigots and racists. The rest of us? Not so much. It represents oppression, slavery, bigotry, and racism.

You grew up watching a television show with good old boys, and a car with the Confederate Flag on top.
Let us not forget the woman in her daisy dukes and perky breasts.

The flag is a symbol of oppression, bigotry and racism. The daisy dukes were for your erectile pleasure.

The racists and bigots are easy to spot. We know them by their flags. They often call themselves patriots and fly the Gadsden flag, too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality