Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2016, 01:05 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,322,930 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Umm, you do understand that Satanist are more or less Atheist right? They don't believe in ANY God/s. They worships themselves so to speak.
Personally I think Satanism is as silly as anything else.

But you are right-- many Satanists (of the "Anton LaVey" variety) don't believe in gods or devils. They are more humanists in a sense--don't feel as though we should suppress or feel guilty about our basic human (animal) instincts. They claim to believe strongly in personal liberty so they would not go around torturing, raping, stealing, etc. as they view that as impinging on the liberties of other people.

There are some Satanists who do seem to believe in the "good/evil, god/devil" paradigm literally and actually believe in The Prince of Darkness and so on. These are usually pimply-faced 15 year old boys who think they'll make Satan happy by killing a cat in front of a candle altar or some such ridiculous nonsense.

My (admittedly limited) knowledge and experience with this sort of thing is that the latter are greatly outnumbered by the former.

Still, I think it's all silly. If you disbelieve in gods, devils, etc., why then the pomp and circumstance? Why the rituals and so on? Seems like a way for a bunch of geeks to hope to hop in the sack with some impressionable young girls out to rebel.

This leaves aside a discussion of magic(k) (with an added K for extra occultishness!) which I find an interesting area of study--the history of it, at least. I'm not a practitioner.

Many people conflate it with demonism, Satanism, etc., but in practiced magic, those things are viewed largely as symbolic. Magic of this kind has more to do with the idea that nothing in the universe happens without someone or something's will acting upon it, and that a person can use their will to cause an effect in nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-21-2016, 02:18 PM

17,717 posts, read 13,482,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffis View Post

There are some Satanists who do seem to believe in the "good/evil, god/devil" paradigm literally and actually believe in The Prince of Darkness and so on. These are usually pimply-faced 15 year old boys who think they'll make Satan happy by killing a cat in front of a candle altar or some such ridiculous nonsense.

Still, I think it's all silly. If you disbelieve in gods, devils, etc., why then the pomp and circumstance? Why the rituals and so on? Seems like a way for a bunch of geeks to hope to hop in the sack with some impressionable young girls out to rebel.

This leaves aside a discussion of magic(k) (with an added K for extra occultishness!) which I find an interesting area of study--the history of it, at least. I'm not a practitioner.

Those who worship Satan are part of a sect called Temple of Set. They worship the Christian Satan/Lucifer. As a Pagan myself magic spelled with a K separates it from slight of hand type/magician's, etc. Every now & then you hear about some idiot killing an animal on Halloween though. Satanist do believe in magick though they also believe that women & children as well as animals should be held in high regard.

Old 07-21-2016, 11:46 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,906,379 times
Hahaha. They were all so scared of someone praying to his made up diety that they had to pray to their made up diety. . What a bunch of nut jobs, all so scared and worked up over make-believe playtime fairy tale stuff. We still have a lot of evolving left to do.

Old 07-22-2016, 03:34 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,322,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed067 View Post
Those who worship Satan are part of a sect called Temple of Set. They worship the Christian Satan/Lucifer.
True, although there are plenty of metalhead teen outliers who are really just into it for themselves or with a friend or two because they think they are being all dark and evill and oo-ee-oo..

Quote:
As a Pagan myself magic spelled with a K separates it from slight of hand type/magician's, etc.
Absolutely, and I do see the utility in that. Personally, I've never been a joiner, but I enjoy reading the histories of the Golden Dawn & OTO and such. If I was to delve into this beyond an armchair interest, I guess I'm more of a chaos/ Illuminates Of Thanateros guy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality