Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-05-2016, 09:05 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,045,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Omega, in short, and I say this WITHOUT malice or scorn, but my friend, you are profoundly clueless on much of this.
Yes, we have the usual Fundie troll unfortunately.

It's one thing when they ADD to the conversation, but this old tired "post the evidence" nonsense. It's as if they want us to do all their work for them and give them a college or seminary education in a forum post. They can't be bothered to keep up with the latest Biblical scholarship (and probably consider it "evil" anyways), so they demand everyone else give them cliff note versions. And they can't even understand commas.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2016, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
I am open minded, show me where I am clueless or are you just blowing smoke?
Start here with this forum post: On the Hebrew Word Elohim, then come back to us. The subject of elohim has been exhaustively covered on this forum already, and by an actual scholar trained in that very subject. Catch up! Then you might not be called "clueless" and "ignorant".

Old 08-05-2016, 09:14 AM

4,765 posts, read 1,995,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post

Nobody every said they were.

When you can demonstrate that you understand how a COMMA works ("The comma is used in many contexts and languages, mainly for separating parts of a sentence such as clauses, and items in lists, particularly when there are three or more items listed."), maybe we can have a conversation that doesn't involve you misunderstanding a simple dictionary entry. As it is, it seems rather pointless.

Shoot away. You can attempt to critique dictionary entries AFTER you learn how to read them. (P.S. - the Bible calls teraphim "gods", or ʾĕlōhîm.)
Every form I have ever been in has had a member of the English police. I guess you are the one in this forum.

Do I always misuse comas or did you just find one. Show me where I misused one so I can know that you understand their use.

The teraphim were household gods but they were not Gods.

Maybe we can have a discussion where you understand that everything in print is not accurate, but I doubt it. I showed you where that article was wrong. If you don't believe me, I guess I will just have to be broken hearted.

If what I say is pointless , you still have the option to ignore me.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:21 AM

4,765 posts, read 1,995,542 times
Quote:
Yes, we have the usual Fundie troll unfortunately.

It's one thing when they ADD to the conversation, but this old tired "post the evidence" nonsense. It's as if they want us to do all their work for them and give them a college or seminary education in a forum post. They can't be bothered to keep up with the latest Biblical scholarship (and probably consider it "evil" anyways), so they demand everyone else give them cliff note versions. And they can't even understand commas.....
It is amusing that those who offer opinions with no evidence consider it nonsense.

I am glad we now have at east 2 members of the English police in this forum. l All forums have some.
you are so intelligent, so tell me how you determine if i don't know how to use comas from a typo.

I guess show with opinions they can't validate with evidence, have to find something else to whine about.

What Biblical scholarship; have I not kept up with? Be sure to post your evidence. I am from Missouri.

I have not demanded anything. I have ask politely. You only consider it a demand because you don't have any. How sad.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:27 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:

Maybe we can have a discussion where you understand that everything in print is not accurate,...
Does that include your Bible Edgar?

Old 08-05-2016, 09:29 AM

10,202 posts, read 7,922,771 times
Quote:
Start here with this forum post: On the Hebrew Word Elohim, then come back to us. The subject of elohim has been exhaustively covered on this forum already, and by an actual scholar trained in that very subject. Catch up! Then you might not be called "clueless" and "ignorant".
He won't read it, or understand it. He is too self absorbed in his perspective. Sort of like Eusebius (wonder where HE went?)

Old 08-05-2016, 09:32 AM

Quote:

The teraphim were not heavenly beings. They were household idols of beings that were not God's
Quote:
Every form I have ever been in has had a member of the English police. I guess you are the one in this forum.

Do I always misuse comas or did you just find one. Show me where I misused one so I can know that you understand their use.

Maybe we can have a discussion where you understand that everything in print is not accurate, but I doubt it. I showed you where that article was wrong. If you don't believe me, I guess I will just have to be broken hearted.

YOU didn't misuse a comma. YOU misunderstood that a comma is used to separate items in a list. YOU misunderstood what the dictionary article stated. YOU assumed that the dictionary claimed teraphim were "heavenly beings". YOU need to read the article again, because you have misunderstood it - because YOU misunderstood the article's usage of a COMMA to separate items in a list: "teraphim" from "heavenly being".

Understand?

As for teraphim, the Bible refers to them as "gods", as ʾĕlōhîm. SEE the references in Genesis from the article. Whether they were actual "gods" or not isn't the point. You have failed to grasp that the term ʾĕlōhîm is used to denote "gods" in addition to "God". Again, SEE the article and follow the Biblical references.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
He won't read it, or understand it. He is too self absorbed in his perspective. Sort of like Eusebius (wonder where HE went?)

Yes you are right. He has trouble grasping the very short citation I already posted. I am wasting my time trying to teach someone how a comma works in dictionary entries, and he misunderstands it as me critiquing his own use of commas. Oh it never ends.

This is exactly why it's pointless (in my opinion) to debate Fundies. It achieves nothing except getting threads shut down, which granted.... may be their goal.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:37 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,004,753 times
Quote:

Omega, what is being done here, as best we could, is critical analysis of bible passages. It is like reading the story of the Trojan War. You can read it at the level of fantasy about gods and heroes or you can read between the lines and glean an actual story of a natural War that took place between two peoples over some incident.

Fantasy side of the story says that the war started because a foolish Trojan Prince chose one goddess over two others. The goddess he chose lived up to her promise to him and helped him capture the most beautiful woman in the world to have as his wife. Only problem was, she was someone else's wife in Greece. He kidnapped her and took her back to Troy which led to war and also led to the other two scorned goddesses being on the side of the Greeks. 6 of the 12 gods sided with the Greeks and the other six sided with the Trojans. They all chipped in to manipulate the events of the prolonged war that followed.

Now after reading that, do you believe the story as I told it even though this is how Homer wrote the story? Or, do you think the war was more about natural, normal human events like land grab, thirst for conquest, a slight, an actual kidnapping and there were no godd involvesd influencing anyone to do anything?

Old 08-05-2016, 09:47 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,004,753 times
Quote:
Yes you are right. He has trouble grasping the very short citation I already posted. I am wasting my time trying to teach someone how a comma works in dictionary entries, and he misunderstands it as me critiquing his own use of commas. Oh it never ends.

This is exactly why it's pointless (in my opinion) to debate Fundies. It achieves nothing except getting threads shut down, which granted.... may be their goal.
Whoppers, be patient my friend. I was once like Vizio and Omega. I did not hear then but I sure listened later, if you know what I mean. On forums, it is all about ego and Saving Face. Chances are, you are not struggling with the knowledge you have. They are. This is why you are likely to find testimonials of former fundamentalist Christians who will admit that they know they were kicking against the Pricks when it came to knowledge like this being presented, but they just had a hard time letting go and had to kick and scream as much as they could. I was one of them.

After 2 years of being on a forum like this back in about 1999 and being a Vizio like type Christian, a lightbulb moment hit me after years of debating with a few very knowledgeable persons and one day without any kind of plan or warning, my fingers actually typed the first doubt about the Jesus myth. The rest is history. I think Shiloh had a similar experience right here on city data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality