Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2016, 11:30 AM

3,483 posts, read 4,044,902 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Exodus :7

1.The Lord said to Moses, "See! I have made you a lord over Pharaoh, and Aaron, your brother, will be your speaker.

א.וַיֹּאמֶר יְהֹוָה אֶל משֶׁה רְאֵה נְתַתִּיךָ אֱלֹהִים לְפַרְעֹה וְאַהֲרֹן אָחִיךָ יִהְיֶה נְבִיאֶךָ:

The Hebrew word in red is "Elohim", singular, same as the "Elohim" in Genesis 1:1...
Very good reference, but I think your translation has introduced some ambiguities with "lord" and "speaker". It would make more sense (and be more accurate) as "I have made you as a god to Pharaoh" and Aaron is his "prophet":
YHWH said to Moshe:
See, I make you as a god for Pharaoh,
and Aharon your brother will be your prophet."
(Exodus 7:1 SB Fox)
Not sure why your translation has "lord" and "speaker", but the parallelism is made more explicit with "a god" and "prophet" when you see that:
  • Moses is seen as "a god", and
  • Aaron is this "gods" prophet
Moses is an elohim (in the eyes of Pharaoh) and Aaron is his prophet, basically. Two things that seem to go together naturally.

Sorry, I think "lord" and "speaker" introduces some ambiguity to the point you are trying to make. "Lord" knows Omega already has enough trouble, and he cannot appeal to the Hebrew obviously!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 12:13 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,857,175 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
However the church did eventually accept it...
Some 300 years after the alleged events...and then only by a vote!

Old 08-18-2016, 04:27 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
Some 300 years after the alleged events...and then only by a vote!
Imposed by a Military dictator and his minister of Propaganda, and stamping out anyone who through differently...Godwin's law??? Who, Me???

Old 08-18-2016, 05:51 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,029,149 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
It is reinforced in the Bible if you can understand it.

I have never said d otherwise.

However the church did eventually accept it based on Scripture and first does not mean right.

You can spin it anyway you want to but "im" is always a plural ending.

Your link did not work but it will not change the meaning of "im."
I speak an read Hebrew, so yea, -im is not always implying plurality (in fact I showed you Hebrew words ending in -im the are not plural but singular) no matter how much you want it to...Stop being so arrogant and telling Jews that you know our language better than we do, it's offensive...Go and actually learn Hebrew before you continue sounding ignorant...It is Christianity that is chasing people away from G-d....

Last edited by Richard1965; 08-18-2016 at 06:33 AM..

Old 08-18-2016, 05:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
Very good reference, but I think your translation has introduced some ambiguities with "lord" and "speaker". It would make more sense (and be more accurate) as "I have made you as a god to Pharaoh" and Aaron is his "prophet":
YHWH said to Moshe:
Not sure why your translation has "lord" and "speaker", but the parallelism is made more explicit with "a god" and "prophet" when you see that:
Moses is an elohim (in the eyes of Pharaoh) and Aaron is his prophet, basically. Two things that seem to go together naturally.

Sorry, I think "lord" and "speaker" introduces some ambiguity to the point you are trying to make. "Lord" knows Omega already has enough trouble, and he cannot appeal to the Hebrew obviously!
It is from Chabad.org, so it's a Jewish Translation...What is a prophet but a speaker for G-d....Soooo...See where I am coming from?...

Old 08-18-2016, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
YHWH said to Moshe:

If people would research what a prophet is to the Jews, then they would have a better understanding of his role...Elohim is better understood as "the powers that be" and not so much "G-d"...A prophet is not just a seer of future events but someone who is a Mashiach of G-d and sent to speak on G-d's behalf...In other words a prophet is there to tell the people what G-d wants them to know...Moishe was a prophet when he presented the Torah of G-d to the Israelites and Egyptians at Mt. Sinai...In fact, all the prophets, priests and kings were Mashiachs...So, there is nothing special about the word "Mashiach"...So, basically, a prophet IS a speaker [for G-d]...The point that I was trying to make with Omega was that Elohim is also used for pagan gods and also man...So, understanding the word Elohim, the way the Jews understand their own language, in essence G-d made Moishe "the powers that be" in the sight of Pharoah, because from Pharoah's vantage point, it was Moishe that was doing everything and it was Aharon that was telling Pharoah what Moishe was going to do, just as G-d told Moishe to tell the Israelites and the Egyptians at Mt. Sinai what He expected of them as His Chosen People...It's simple to understand if you are not indoctrinated against common sense...

Old 08-18-2016, 06:33 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,003,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richard1965 View Post
i speak an read hebrew, so yea, -im is not always implying plurality no matter how much you want it to...stop being so arrogant and telling jews that you know our language better than we do, it's offensive...go and actually learn hebrew before you continue sounding ignorant...it is christianity that is chasing people away from g-d....
c l a p b a c k!

Old 08-18-2016, 06:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
c l a p b a c k!
Eh?...

Old 08-18-2016, 07:02 AM

5,553 posts, read 8,003,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Eh?...

Clapback:

basically a comeback, most likely pumped with attitude, sass and or shade.

Old 08-18-2016, 07:25 AM

689 posts, read 549,501 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
1. The story of Onan and Tamar.

Who was the fly on the wall watching them have sex and who made the determination that it was God who killed him? More of a convenient incident or a made up one to enforce a social more of the time?

2. Abraham and his conversations with God.

As Abraham never wrote any books we know of, who was walking around with him and being privy to these conversations to write them down word for word?

3. That conversation with God and Satan in the book of Job.

Again, who was sitting there jotting down the back and forth?

4. Why does Moses speak of himself in the third person like June if Moses supposedly wrote the first 4 books of the bible?

"And the Lord spoke unto Moses..."

Doesn't it just seem more likely like these stories were dreamed up and written much later to serve some agenda?
It's not uncommon that secrets between 2 persons are exposed to a third person in this world. It is because one of the 2 talks in different situations.

A witnessing can be written in a way that one describes his story verbally for another one to write it down. Paul may describe his words verbally for his assistant to write a letter for him then sent to a church. The church will still consider it a letter from Paul. Actually third person is more reasonably used if a series of books supposed to be written by multiple persons, this series of book can still be considered as the work of one "owner".

An example is that someone will have to continue to write about Moses after his death. As a result, the first 5 books will have to be written by multiple persons as Moses won't be able to write about his own death. It's actually odd to write that "God talked to me" and later "Joshua failed to find my dead body". It's always better for sake of continuity to write it as "God talked to Moses" and "Joshua failed to find Moses' body".

I simply think that all these are common sense in regards to how humans write things down.

"As Abraham never wrote any books we know of, who was walking around with him and being privy to these conversations to write them down word for word?"

Ancient people rely on both word of mouth and simple writings to convey messages. "We don't know of" by no means says that "He didn't" write anything. Ancient writing can hardly last to reach today's humans. It's only under very rare circumstance that we can acquire the pieces of artifacts written by humans as ancient as Abraham.

Last edited by Hawkins; 08-18-2016 at 07:51 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality