Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-19-2016, 03:50 PM

5,553 posts, read 7,988,180 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by omega2xx View Post
Your OPINION has been duly noted and rejected.
You are rejecting something you NEVER got in the first place?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-19-2016, 04:02 PM

3,483 posts, read 4,033,251 times
Quote:
Even more funny is you expecting me to respond to something in Hebrew. Post it all in English and I will gladly respond.

If I can read English all I need a good wordbook on Hebrew and I have one, and the 50+ scholars who wrote it know Hebrew better than you do.
And yet here we are, with every post you make showing that your dead wrong about that, while also making your ignorance on the subject of Biblical Hebrew and the word אֱלֹהִים more and more laughable. I'm really sorry if understanding a language's grammatical details without the help of an outdated and poorly written "Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament" is par for the course for not sounding ignorant.

Please tell us why an entire language is wrong with how it uses it's own grammar, and why YOU are right.

Quote:
Give me a word you think I don't understand I will exlaine its meaning to you.
Please DO "exlaine" to me the word "exlaine", as I don't understand it.

Apart from that, I don't think you have any explanations that are worth hearing to many people here. I think you are posting in the wrong sub-forum - in case you haven't noticed.

Old 08-19-2016, 04:41 PM

4,765 posts, read 1,985,995 times
[quote=Richard1965;45186691]No it doesn't...Who ever gave you that idea?...I speak, read and write the following languages: German, Spanish, Italian, Irish, Hebrew, Polish, working on Yiddish...Takes me a few months to become fluent...

Irrelevant. Being fluent does not make one an expert in the language.

Tell me what rasha means besides a one word definition. If it has more than one meaning, give them both. What do they mean in the Qal and the hiphil. What is its most important antonym? Can the verb describe an breakdown in social relationships in which bad people mistreat good people? Wht words does it parallel.

When used as an adjectdive what does it designate?

Can it point to the attitude and intentions of people?

What is it in contrast to?

What are some antonyms of it?

Does the word indicate in any way people hating God? Do it indicate in any way people wh refuse to serve God?

What are some word that are semantically parallel to rasha?

Quote:
Angles?..
Give a break, it is obvious what I meant.

[quote]Nope, sorry, this is what understanding Hebrew would help you understand, that we Jews know our religion,and our bible, better than you do...<<

Nope,sorry, I do n need to know Hebrew to find out what a word means. You certainly know your religion better than I do, but you don't necessarily know the OT better than I do. What do yu think yu know better than I do in the OT. You may but not based on your say so.

[quote]The word for created in Hebrew that is used on the first day is different than the word created used on the successive days becaue it implies that G-d created everything on the first day and "created" a place or "placed" all that He had created on the first day In their proper places...<<

Not true. "Bara" is the only word used in Genesis. Chapter one make is obvious that God did not create everything on the first day.

Quote:
No, that would be Yehowah, not Jehovah...There are no "Js" in the Hebrew language and the "yod" was not pronounced as a "v" until relatively recently, it was called "was" as opposed to today "vav"..
Quibble noted

Quote:
Elohim mean "powers that be"...
No it doesn't. It can mean God, gods, judges or angels. "El" only indicates strong or mighty.

Last edited by omega2xx; 08-19-2016 at 05:20 PM..

Old 08-19-2016, 05:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richard1965 View Post
Nope, G-d said to Moses, "See!, I have made you a G-d [Elohim] unto Pharoah...
The NASB and the Reformation Study Bible both say "as God." I will stick with them.

Old 08-19-2016, 05:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
You are rejecting something you NEVER got in the first place?
Your OPINION is noted again and rejected again.

Old 08-19-2016, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
And yet here we are, with every post you make showing that your dead wrong about that, while also making your ignorance on the subject of Biblical Hebrew and the word אֱלֹהִים more and more laughable. I'm really sorry if understanding a language's grammatical details without the help of an outdated and poorly written "Theological Wordbook of the Old Testament" is par for the course for not sounding ignorant.
Here you are showing your ignorance. Have you read the Theological Wordbook of the Old testament? How is it outdated? It is very rare when a definition in a language changes.

Quote:
[Please tell us why an entire language is wrong with how it uses it's own grammar, and why YOU are right.

Plesse show me where I have said an entire language or any part of it is wrong with how it uses it grammer.

Quote:
Please DO "exlaine" to me the word "exlaine", as I don't understand it.
It is truly nice to have someone in the forum who has never made a typo. l You know exactly what I meant but you wanted to act ignorant.

Quote:
Apart from that, I don't think you have any explanations that are worth hearing to many people here. I think you are posting in the wrong sub-forum - in case you haven't noticed.
I hope I don't break your heart , but I could care less if you or any one else doesn't find my post worth hearing. I also don't find your post worth reading, not hearing. That is a worse error than a typeo. I also don't care what you think.

Have a nice day.

Old 08-19-2016, 06:42 PM

5,553 posts, read 7,988,180 times
Anyway, back to the regular program.

Whoppers, why do you think the Onan story was told thevway it was, with God [allegedly] striking down the man?

Old 08-20-2016, 03:48 AM

32,530 posts, read 21,941,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsaneInDaMembrane View Post
Christians will tell you that angels CANNOT create (life) so God could not have been speaking to angels who are supposedly created beings themselves. So, they will ask you to, as we say in the Caribbean, "rewind and come again." (Wheel and come again.)
The Angels were created like G-d, pure and righteous, so, when He says, "Let's make man like us.". He is saying let's create man in our image, which He states latter that He (alone) created man (the adjective and verb says so)...

Old 08-20-2016, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoppers View Post
What's really interesting about that passage is the reaction to the Egyptian view that the Pharaoh was a god, or divine: Moses is elevated to divine status to deal with him as an equal. Aaron, though not a priest yet, gets his own promotion to Prophet. I think it's safe to say that the hierarchy of statuses goes:
  1. God or a god
  2. Prophet
  3. Priest
Moses and Aaron both get bumped up a notch temporarily for the encounter. It's a nice touch, as well as a nice parallelism in the passage.

G. Rendsburg points out that Ibn Ezra didn't like this passage very well! He understand that along with Aaron's promotion must come a promotion for Moses, but he would not admit it was "God" or "a god". He instead preferred to see Moses' status as elevated to "Angel", unfortunately.

For a nice discussion of this, see Gary Rendsburg's "Moses as Equal to Pharaoh" here: http://jewishstudies.rutgers.edu/doc...o-pharaoh/file
Thanks for the pdf file...Do you have access to the complete book?...I see right from the beginning of chapter 10 that he assumes a hierarchy in the Israelite religion:

FIGURE 1
God —— Yahweh/Elohim
Prophet —— Moses
Priest —— Aaron

When the Israelite religion and its hierarchy didn't exist until Mt. Sinai...But, it still looks like an interesting read, so, thank you again...

Old 08-20-2016, 04:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Oh, let's start with that the sun will not "stand still". Or the earth stop spinning, which is that only way the sun COULD appear to stand still is IF the earth could stand still.
Well, to be fair, if you turned the axis of the earth, it would probably look like the north pole, Alaska, Norway, six months of twilight, six months of light...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality