Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2016, 10:36 AM

88,292 posts, read 84,292,537 times

Advertisements

^Well, her father's ghost is haunting her mind, and so she is looking for a Catholic Church that is not really a Roman Catholic Church. So, Independent, if she can find one.

Or Episcopal, of which there are plenty. But in the Episcopal Church, the Pope is just Bishop of Rome because there is no superior bishop with that sort of authority, and if the Pope thing is hammered into your brain from childhood, I suppose it's hard to get rid of.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2016, 10:42 AM

2,201 posts, read 1,869,585 times
There are very rare instances of pediphile activity in the church. As a former Catholic I never had any issues throughout being an alterboy. All CCD classes should be chaperoned in my opinion though to
simply assist the instuctor whether nun , priest or deacon. I came to the conclusion 50 years ago that
two problems exist within the sequestering of nuns and priests. A few enter the various orders already
having homosexual tendencies and this is exacerbated by celibacy. Many years after I graduated from
Catholic High ( eventual alumni president) I learned that six of the 10 christian brothers were gay. They even provided immediate housing on campus of a known gay boy . It's pretty sick to think I was surrounded by gay teachers also one lay teacher as well.

Old 08-03-2016, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
There are very rare instances of pediphile activity in the church. As a former Catholic I never had any issues throughout being an alterboy. All CCD classes should be chaperoned in my opinion though to
simply assist the instuctor whether nun , priest or deacon. I came to the conclusion 50 years ago that
two problems exist within the sequestering of nuns and priests. A few enter the various orders already
having homosexual tendencies and this is exacerbated by celibacy. Many years after I graduated from
Catholic High ( eventual alumni president) I learned that six of the 10 christian brothers were gay. They even provided immediate housing on campus of a known gay boy . It's pretty sick to think I was surrounded by gay teachers also one lay teacher as well.
I don't understand why it's sick. Were they bad teachers? You said yourself they were not pedophiles. Doesn't make sense.

Old 08-03-2016, 11:08 AM

32,516 posts, read 37,088,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I don't understand why it's sick. Were they bad teachers? You said yourself they were not pedophiles. Doesn't make sense.

If someone is a fundamentalist and homophobic and believes gays are all going to hell because, ya know, they're gay....it could be a problem.

Old 08-03-2016, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
If someone is a fundamentalist and homophobic and believes gays are all going to hell because, ya know, they're gay....it could be a problem.
I know. I keep thinking I can make them think. I am tenacious. Or just don't know when to give up.

These men passed on knowledge to him, guided him as he was growing, and yet because he knows now they are gay, they are worth something less to him. And so proud and justified to feel that way because he tells himself that God feels the way he does about these men.

Deplorable.

Old 08-03-2016, 12:04 PM

34,254 posts, read 20,496,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
I agree. Example, OMG, there were 4 out of 10 priests who were heterosexual. God help us all. AND! THey gave a homeless heterosexual boy sanctuary! The church is evil! Whether the instances of child sexual abuse are m/m or m/f, both are equally wrong. Beyond wrong. Horribly wrong and even that is putting it lightly.

Being gay means having a SSA with other adults. Pedophiles normally count themselves as heterosexual. As if that makes their behavior any less abhorrent.

Why doesn't the OP contact the catholic church in question and communicate her concerns and fears? It's not like she is the only adult with these same fears and concerns. Even non-catholics have the same abuse.

Evangelical Sex Abuse Record 'Worse' Than Catholic, Says Billy Graham's Grandson Boz Tchividijian

Sexual Abuse of Minors in Protestant Churches | Fox News

There is More Sexual Abuse in The Protestant Churches Than Catholic | Walid Shoebat

Protestant Churches Grapple With Growing Sexual Abuse Crisis : NPR

Old 08-03-2016, 12:43 PM

Pedophiles hide in any organization where children might be accessed. I was a Girl Scout leader. There were rules about having more than one adult present who are not related to or married to each other because there was a case of a couple leading a troop wherein the husband was an abuser and his wife covered for him.

Old 08-03-2016, 01:48 PM

55 posts, read 46,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _redbird_ View Post

I honestly don't understand why the OP needs validation from a bunch of strangers on an internet forum. It's your child, follow your heart!
I am not looking for validation. This is a topic that I have found really offends some people, so picking people's brains on an anonymous forum has been (at moments) helpful.

Old 08-03-2016, 02:14 PM

15,803 posts, read 6,259,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by openmike View Post
Well, I stand corrected. I would have thought child rape would have been the one thing people could agree on as intolerable. It looks like you are willing to overlook it as long as it didn't happen to you. Allowing homosexuals to be included is where you draw the line. At least you have standards. They vary from mine but at least you have them. I can totally see why the OP would be concerned about this. My mom was raised Catholic and has she not converted to JW I would have been too. The moment I would have found out about this is the moment I would have said "hell no". I already said "hell no" to the JWs before I found out they have their own system of covering this up (as do many churches). I don't blame the OP for wanting to take a stand that this will not be tolerated.

Old 08-04-2016, 02:58 AM

9,677 posts, read 9,971,995 times
Ask the leaders if they have been bonded for criminal past for to leave the children ...........Also ask is any of these leaders are married .............With Christianity we Give by faith to Jesus , as the church receives , so if you do not give to Jesus by faith then don`t give anything .......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality