Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 08:54 AM

2,238 posts, read 9,751,418 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling fella View Post
Well, you don't need to be meditating to be alive, actually only a human being could meditate, because meditation is concentration on God, on those divine energies of peace, love, bliss, wisdom, and all what's good, what's noble, righteous
I realize that this is from your viewpoint within your philosophy, but...meditation does not require concentration on a god. I meditate all the time and it's not a deity that I'm concentrating upon.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 01:21 PM

3,162 posts, read 11,431,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RoaminRed View Post
I realize that this is from your viewpoint within your philosophy, but...meditation does not require concentration on a god. I meditate all the time and it's not a deity that I'm concentrating upon.
This is true, as there are many kinds of meditation, in this case I was speaking of Yoga Meditation, even though there are several kinds of Yoga and Yogic meditations, they are usually focused on God, or deities.

It would be interesting to know what is the object of your meditations, do you focus in something?

Respect!

Old 02-21-2008, 03:42 PM

22,122 posts, read 19,179,975 times
Quote:
This is true, as there are many kinds of meditation, in this case I was speaking of Yoga Meditation, even though there are several kinds of Yoga and Yogic meditations, they are usually focused on God, or deities.

It would be interesting to know what is the object of your meditations, do you focus in something?

Respect!
Great point about meditation, that it takes many forms and does not have to be "traditional" in the sense of sitting in a certain posture or focusing in a certain way. I felt like a total and abject failure when these "traditional" ways produced nothing for me and I merely became agitated and restless.

Then someone said that meditation can occur while walking in nature, or digging in my garden, or driving in my car, or sitting daydreaming in my rocking chair. Then I began to get excited becaus these methods felt more comfortable to me and produced better results.

Actually that's a great thread there, what is meditation, how do you do it, what is its purpose, benefits, what works for you etc. Thanks for bringing it up those of you posting and responding!

I like the nutshell definitions that prayer is "talking to god" and meditation is "listening for an answer". So for me it is having enough inner stillness to "hear" the guidance, direction, answers, input in the two-way dialogue that is my conversation with Creator. I don't use any particular focus, i do know it helps me to surround myself in my living space with things that to me are "holy" such as art or photographs of beautiful sacred places I have visited or would like to visit; read uplifting and inspirational books, poems, writing; play with my altar add to it enjoy it; burn candles and sage; carry stones; make art.

But for me mostly meditation and prayer are not "separate" activities, they are just a regular part of my daily activities, that way there is less pressure to "get results" or "do it right" or a certain way. Do what feels comfortable to you, you can hear and feel the creator in ways that are personal and individual and meaningful to you. Hiking and dancing are favorites of mine too.

Old 02-21-2008, 03:45 PM

8,568 posts, read 16,223,203 times
Originally Posted by DimSumRaja
Quote:
What is the "thing" that gives a person life, and when it is gone the person is "dead"?
I am alive because I change (physically and psychologically). The day that I stop learning (=changing) is the day that I died ( or at least became brain dead or suffer from dementia).

Old 02-21-2008, 07:00 PM

206 posts, read 577,926 times
Quote:
Well my friend let's put it like this

Let's resume your beliefs and mine in a respectful way

You believe that we are just the physical body, which for some unknown reason came to live for a short amount of time in this place called planet earth, with no other purpose than working, making money, marrying maybe having kids and then getting old and dying and that's it, finito end of the story, yet we don't know how this "reality" we are experiencing started, or why did it start,
Actually, I don't believe there is any reason, save for whatever reasons we decide to make for ourselves.

I don't believe in any grand scheme of things where anything above has any particular special nature. It is all just arbitrary.

Quote:
there are scientific theories about the creation of the universe and how life started in this planet, but there's no hard proof so they are just fantasies until they can be proven.
Nothing can ever be proven beyond doubt. At best we have very good calculated guesses. For many other things, we have garden variety calculated guesses of various levels of reliability.

In any event I trust more to a calculated guess with a little evidence behind it than to a blind guess with no evidence behind it.

As for your detailing of your beliefs, suffice to say, my opinion on the matter is that it is simply fantasy without any basis in reality. To my mind, that sort of thing falls into the same category as Santa and the Easter Bunny.

Old 02-21-2008, 10:04 PM

Quote:

Respect!
Yes...and no. I attempt to focus on absolutely nothing, if that makes sense. Completely clear the mind of any thoughts and just be Nothing.

Don't know if that makes sense.

Old 02-21-2008, 11:42 PM

5,160 posts, read 9,166,625 times
Quote:
Yes...and no. I attempt to focus on absolutely nothing, if that makes sense. Completely clear the mind of any thoughts and just be Nothing.

Same here.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MRiedl View Post
Actually, I don't believe there is any reason, save for whatever reasons we decide to make for ourselves.

I don't believe in any grand scheme of things where anything above has any particular special nature. It is all just arbitrary.

Nothing can ever be proven beyond doubt. At best we have very good calculated guesses. For many other things, we have garden variety calculated guesses of various levels of reliability.

In any event I trust more to a calculated guess with a little evidence behind it than to a blind guess with no evidence behind it.

As for your detailing of your beliefs, suffice to say, my opinion on the matter is that it is simply fantasy without any basis in reality. To my mind, that sort of thing falls into the same category as Santa and the Easter Bunny.
Your opinion is respected, we have free will huh? and that's a blessing, for me my own experience and perception suffice to know it's for real actually i'm against blind faith, that's why meditation gives me a way to get tangible answers, but your milleage may vary

What is important is that we can have a respectful and friendly dialogue.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:41 AM

Quote:

Yes it make sense so you are trying to quiet the mind, like if it were a lagoon full of agitations and then it becomes still.

I know your goal is not to feel God's pressence but, in yoga there is a saying that goes, that God is the moon and our minds are like a lagoon, and until that lagoon becomes calm, we'll be able to see the reflection of the moon in the lagoon.

and what is your goal in meditation? inner peace?

Old 02-22-2008, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Yes it make sense so you are trying to quiet the mind, like if it were a lagoon full of agitations and then it becomes still.

I know your goal is not to feel God's pressence but, in yoga there is a saying that goes, that God is the moon and our minds are like a lagoon, and until that lagoon becomes calm, we'll be able to see the reflection of the moon in the lagoon.

and what is your goal in meditation? inner peace?

No, I'm pretty darn happy with who and what I am. Meditation is just one way of relaxing. I can deal with day-to-day stress better when I make sure to get some meditation in. I believe this is because by actually learning to completely clear the mind, that when one is bombarded by daily decisions and stresses, it's easier to perform mental triage and quickly let go of anything that isn't "important" in that moment.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality