Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-05-2016, 09:58 PM

50,088 posts, read 20,717,984 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
What I don't understand about the LDS video...they are having trouble finding "modest" women? So much trouble? Have they tried looking in their own denomination? Or are they speaking of women who are not LDS? In which case it's really none of their concern anyhow.
I gathered that it is directed at their own (Mormon) girls. It's for them to decide whether they agree with message or not.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2016, 08:26 PM

28,096 posts, read 29,957,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
OK, it is sort of original (wonder if they paid royalties for the music part?). It has some production values. It's message is clear.

But man, oh man! Is it ever hokey! I can't imagine a person, even if of Mormon faith, watching this and not thinking, "Really? You guys actually put this together. Really?"

But on the other hand, the praise music bands are not any better. It's all an attempt by churches to appear "hip" and relevant. I'm not sure it's working.
In case anybody has wondered why I haven't posted a response to this thread, it's because I've been out of town on a two-week vacation, and just barely got back. So here's my input...

I loved the message. If you just read the words, they convey some really important thoughts. The talent was good (and it was cool that Alex Boye was involved), but the hokey-factor pretty much offset the good points, in my opinion.

Old 08-14-2016, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXNGL View Post
What I don't understand about the LDS video...they are having trouble finding "modest" women? So much trouble? Have they tried looking in their own denomination? Or are they speaking of women who are not LDS? In which case it's really none of their concern anyhow.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
I gathered that it is directed at their own (Mormon) girls. It's for them to decide whether they agree with message or not.
The video was clearly directed at LDS women and encouraging them to maintain the standards of modesty their Church teaches when it can obviously be a pretty hard thing to do.

Old 08-14-2016, 10:44 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
In case anybody has wondered why I haven't posted a response to this thread, it's because I've been out of town on a two-week vacation, and just barely got back. So here's my input...

I loved the message. If you just read the words, they convey some really important thoughts. The talent was good (and it was cool that Alex Boye was involved), but the hokey-factor pretty much offset the good points, in my opinion.
Welcome back. You were missed, Katz. Hope you had an enjoyable time. Agree about the hokey factor. We focus too much on the carnal aspects of being human, IMO.

Old 08-14-2016, 11:18 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Welcome back. You were missed, Katz. Hope you had an enjoyable time. Agree about the hokey factor. We focus too much on the carnal aspects of being human, IMO.

We do? The carnal aspects are a major part of BEING human. There is nothing to be ashamed of that, in fact, it should be celebrated. Religions do their best to control adherents by applying repression of carnal expressions. That needs to be reversed, and a fulfilling, regular sex life between consenting adults is a good thing, not a bad one.

Old 08-14-2016, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Quote:
We do? The carnal aspects are a major part of BEING human. There is nothing to be ashamed of that, in fact, it should be celebrated. Religions do their best to control adherents by applying repression of carnal expressions. That needs to be reversed, and a fulfilling, regular sex life between consenting adults is a good thing, not a bad one.
What you say may be true from the standpoint of a fulfilling physical life and that is not to be discounted. But it has little to do with developing and maturing spiritually and that is what God is concerned with. Paul referred to it as not edifying.

I Corinthians 10:23,

. . . All things are lawful, but not all things are expedient. All things are lawful, but not all things edify.

How has that quote been so effectively ignored, rejected, or otherwise rendered insignificant in the Christian emphasis on carnal things and so-called sins? What Paul has said is that all activities do not aid in the achievement of our soul's purpose in life - the production of our own personal "symphony of agape love." In fact, many lead directly to discord and failure.

Our goal is to become one with God. We must achieve enough spiritual development to qualify for the next life just as a human embryo achieves enough physical development for this mortal life. Not everything we do is "expedient" toward that goal nor "edifies" our Soul. The amount of spiritual development that we achieve is the critical concern for our self-control!

Last edited by MysticPhD; 08-14-2016 at 11:43 PM..

Old 08-15-2016, 12:09 AM

Quote:
What you say may be true from the standpoint of a fulfilling physical life and that is not to be discounted. But it has little to do with developing and maturing spiritually and that is what God is concerned with. Paul referred to it as not edifying.

. . . All things are lawful, but not all things are expedient. All things are lawful, but not all things edify.

How has that quote been so effectively ignored, rejected, or otherwise rendered insignificant in the Christian emphasis on carnal things and so-called sins? What Paul has said is that all activities do not aid in the achievement of our soul's purpose in life - the production of our own personal "symphony of agape love." In fact, many lead directly to discord and failure.

Our goal is to become one with God. We must achieve enough spiritual development to qualify for the next life just as a human embryo achieves enough physical development for this mortal life. Not everything we do is "expedient" toward that goal nor "edifies" our Soul. The amount of spiritual development that we achieve is the critical concern for our self-control!
Regardless of what you view as a god, a fulfilled sexual life with a loving partner can gain a spirituality that is not otherwise attainable. Spirituality does not equate, nor should it equate, with an omni god of any sort. You're assuming an afterlife, I don't. I assume that we literally become wormfood, and my legacy is carried on in the DNA my children and grandchildren have. That is my mortality and reality. Do the best in this life, as that is all there is, and I am very comfortable in knowing that.

Old 08-15-2016, 12:43 AM

Quote:

Quote:
Regardless of what you view as a god, a fulfilled sexual life with a loving partner can gain a spirituality that is not otherwise attainable. Spirituality does not equate, nor should it equate, with an omni god of any sort. You're assuming an afterlife, I don't. I assume that we literally become wormfood, and my legacy is carried on in the DNA my children and grandchildren have. That is my mortality and reality. Do the best in this life, as that is all there is, and I am very comfortable in knowing that.
The myopia that this carnal existence has anything to do with the essence of our being that is spiritual (consciousness) is very limiting and it ignores the fact that our consciousness is completely UNLIKE everything in our physical reality. You are in for a bit of a shock.

Old 08-17-2016, 09:32 PM

Quote:
The myopia that this carnal existence has anything to do with the essence of our being that is spiritual (consciousness) is very limiting and it ignores the fact that our consciousness is completely UNLIKE everything in our physical reality. You are in for a bit of a shock.
Well, Mystic, I believe that both you and cupper are in for a shock.

Old 08-17-2016, 11:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katzpur View Post
Well, Mystic, I believe that both you and cupper are in for a shock.
I'll go with my hypothesis. And try and have lots and lots of spiritual experiences while I'm here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality