Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 09:28 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,919,895 times

Advertisements

OK, it is sort of original (wonder if they paid royalties for the music part?). It has some production values. It's message is clear.

But man, oh man! Is it ever hokey! I can't imagine a person, even if of Mormon faith, watching this and not thinking, "Really? You guys actually put this together. Really?"

But on the other hand, the praise music bands are not any better. It's all an attempt by churches to appear "hip" and relevant. I'm not sure it's working.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oart...ature=youtu.be
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 09:47 PM

595 posts, read 331,755 times
Oh brother! Your reaction is excessive.

This isn't anything about looking hip. It is just young people adapting to the mix of different influences in their life, religion and culture. The stereotypes might make Mormons seem a little archaic and there is a little of this in some places, but it varies enough that this is within the spectrum. The Mormons have been getting involved in film production and you find quite a few LDS films out there of different types.

If you really want to know the low down, well.... there is some difference between Mormons in different areas, especially between places where they are a majority and have been for a while and areas where their presence is few and new. The latter is predictably less archaic and more like traditional Christianity in a number of ways. Some places in Utah and Idaho can be oppressive and misogynistic. Those familiar with such areas might feel this video is misleading.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:34 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,919,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellmckain View Post
Oh brother! Your reaction is excessive.

This isn't anything about looking hip. It is just young people adapting to the mix of different influences in their life, religion and culture. The stereotypes might make Mormons seem a little archaic and there is a little of this in some places, but it varies enough that this is within the spectrum. The Mormons have been getting involved in film production and you find quite a few LDS films out there of different types.

If you really want to know the low down, well.... there is some difference between Mormons in different areas, especially between places where they are a majority and have been for a while and areas where their presence is few and new. The latter is predictably less archaic and more like traditional Christianity in a number of ways. Some places in Utah and Idaho can be oppressive and misogynistic. Those familiar with such areas might feel this video is misleading.
I'm pretty familiar with Mormons; we have many in our part of the world. I actually see them as one religion that lives what it preaches; the family is strongly supported (Southern Baptist, now so much), wonderful work ethic, and yes, pretty clean living. Crime rates are significantly lower in the areas with high Mormon residents; the same again can not be said for Southern Baptist areas. I think their beliefs are whacked out, but I think that of most religions. Were I live we have that unique combination of traditional Anabaptists, Calvinists and Mormons. Oh yes, and a growing number of atheists.

Still, that video is hokey, and I can't think of another way to describe it. The background music is a pop song, and by overlaying the lyrics they did, they are trying to appear "with it". It failed.

Old 08-01-2016, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Still, that video is hokey, and I can't think of another way to describe it. The background music is a pop song, and by overlaying the lyrics they did, they are trying to appear "with it". It failed.
This has nothing to do with appearing "with it." Its objective is actually less innocent. They are trying to sell girls on the idea of the Mormon way of life of modest dress. If anything I think what they are trying to get across is that these "handsome" guys will find them attractive in modest clothing. It is aimed not at the public but at their own female teen membership. Thus there is no need to appear what you would call "hip" or whatever the equivalent term is for this generation.

And by the way, don't let the fact that I live in SLC make you think that I or any of my family have ever been Mormon. It is not the case. But... my best friend is LDS and of course I have heard what they have to say. That is something which easily happens in Utah and Idaho because there are so many them.

Old 08-02-2016, 02:57 AM

50,087 posts, read 20,712,695 times
Pre P.s Reading your (2nd) post, I withdraw any suggestion that you are going in to bat for this effort. If anything, you are showing up the Propganda message better than I did. So, while what I say stands, take it as general comment, rather than a response to your posting.

Hokey is hokey, no matter what the intention is behind it. I mentioned recently a Faith dance troupe routine used in "Blibleman" I can't help laugh when I think of it. And it makes me laugh even louder if someone tries to polish it up by saying it's just young people expressing what in their Faith makes them tick.

And I felt the same when I watched (I can't imagine why) the one religious programme we have "Songs of praise" with a lot of middle aged C of E types trying to get with a ghastly attempt at a modern Hymn with a sorta plastipop beat.

And why even mention it? Well, because there is a reason those things are even out there. It isn't 'Just tellin' - it is peddlin' religion. It is the ongoing selling of religion every way they can think of.

By making 'This is where the dove descended on Jesus' travelogues, or 'see how wonderfully happy Jesusfaith makes them' documentaries, even where they are not overt atheist bashers like Bibleman, Jack Chick tracts, half Mel Gibson's output and the turkeys put out by Stein and Comfort.

And what we do is show where they are wrong where they are wrong - as I did on the yet to be inflicted 'Atheist Delusion' film and laugh where they are are hokey. And I see no reason why we shouldn't and plenty of reasons why we should.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 08-02-2016 at 03:26 AM.. Reason: latent? I should say 'Overt'

Old 08-02-2016, 03:26 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,494,612 times
They're trying to be like the Maccabeats but not pulling it off. This is a fun one!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=af3FR8B3XfE

Old 08-02-2016, 03:31 AM

I have to admit that was quite fun . And it didn't come across as anything but 'tellin', let alone bashing. Perhaps because Jews of all the religions that come to mind would prefer NOT to make converts.

Old 08-02-2016, 05:22 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,026,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
OK, it is sort of original (wonder if they paid royalties for the music part?). It has some production values. It's message is clear.

But man, oh man! Is it ever hokey! I can't imagine a person, even if of Mormon faith, watching this and not thinking, "Really? You guys actually put this together. Really?"

But on the other hand, the praise music bands are not any better. It's all an attempt by churches to appear "hip" and relevant. I'm not sure it's working.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oart...ature=youtu.be
I wonder which ones are in the closet...

Seriously, though...It is right because they put it in a song to prove they're right, so that means that they are right...

Old 08-02-2016, 05:55 AM

I actually had a look and stuck it for maybe half a minute. In it's way it was as bad as the Bibleman dance team. They did their best but they were amateurish and had no talent. The song sounded like a crummy pinch from Summer Nights. And the lyrics... I am ...uh.... biased, probably but If I were a gurl, I'd go out after watching that and buy a boob choob. A thin one so the nipples showed.

Old 08-02-2016, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRANSPONDER View Post
Pre P.s Reading your (2nd) post, I withdraw any suggestion that you are going in to bat for this effort. If anything, you are showing up the Propganda message better than I did. So, while what I say stands, take it as general comment, rather than a response to your posting.
??? So you and cupper3 are the same person?

Quote:
Hokey is hokey, no matter what the intention is behind it. I mentioned recently a Faith dance troupe routine used in "Blibleman" I can't help laugh when I think of it. And it makes me laugh even louder if someone tries to polish it up by saying it's just young people expressing what in their Faith makes them tick.
Your subjective judgement is indeed whatever it is. But my principle objection was only the implication that they would care anything about to some phony standard of "hip" or whatever.

Quote:
And why even mention it? Well, because there is a reason those things are even out there. It isn't 'Just tellin' - it is peddlin' religion. It is the ongoing selling of religion every way they can think of.
In a way... because one of the principle ongoing activities of religion is to keep selling their religion even to themselves. After all, theirs is not a do whatever feels good approach to life, as it is with most criminals, even serial killers.

Last edited by mitchellmckain; 08-02-2016 at 12:48 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality