Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 08:39 PM

19,825 posts, read 13,361,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
Several years ago I was engaged in an online religious discussion with a Christian woman who proceeded to threaten to "have me arrested" for the crime of contradicting her religious beliefs. Apparently she genuinely thought it was a crime to not be a Christian and to openly say so. These are the people who are driving the religious right. They have a make believe understanding of our laws and our system of government, because they have lived their entire lives in a make believe world of their own construction. They are now attempting to "take back the country." A country which in fact never existed.
Well at any rate, a country that was never "theirs" to begin with, so I don't see how they would "take it back". A country "belongs" to all its citizens equally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-13-2016, 08:43 PM

19,825 posts, read 13,361,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
You believe that an atheist would seriously sue God?
It actually happened. However, he was clearly seeking to make and publicize a point. The woman suing "all gays" isn't being facetious -- she actually thinks she has standing to sue everyone who disagrees with her.

Old 08-13-2016, 10:07 PM

19,942 posts, read 17,136,666 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
It actually happened. However, he was clearly seeking to make and publicize a point. The woman suing "all gays" isn't being facetious -- she actually thinks she has standing to sue everyone who disagrees with her.
Unless you've lived seen this guy in action, it's hard to describe him, and how he works. He has a history of pulling stunts like that just to make people mad. I think it's a power trip to him.

There are certain people on this board that would probably consider him to be a great man, based on their posting habits.

Old 08-13-2016, 10:49 PM

5,190 posts, read 5,323,520 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
There are certain people on this board that would probably consider him to be a great man, based on their posting habits.
You mean the huge contingent of nonbelievers with their class-action suit against that being they don't believe exists?

Old 08-13-2016, 11:10 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,338,383 times
Quote:
Well at any rate, a country that was never "theirs" to begin with, so I don't see how they would "take it back". A country "belongs" to all its citizens equally.
For example, ask 100 different people what form of government we have here in the US and the overwhelming majority will declare with total certainly that we live in a democracy. Although most people believe that it is so, none of us have ever lived in a democracy. The US is a constitutional republic. Those who do not know the difference would be well served to look it up. And then consider just what sort of a country it is that they believe that they are attempting to "take back." Because the country they have created in their minds largely never existed to begin with.

Old 08-14-2016, 01:08 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,602,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
For example, ask 100 different people what form of government we have here in the US and the overwhelming majority will declare with total certainly that we live in a democracy. Although most people believe that it is so, none of us have ever lived in a democracy. The US is a constitutional republic. Those who do not know the difference would be well served to look it up. And then consider just what sort of a country it is that they believe that they are attempting to "take back." Because the country they have created in their minds largely never existed to begin with.
Mmmm, yes and no. It's true our system of government is not a pure democracy, but it is considered a democratic form of government. It's not really an inaccuracy to refer to a constitutional republic as a democracy, but at the same time, I suspect that most of the people who refer to the United States as a Democracy don't understand that it is a constitutional republic - or for that matter, even understand what the term means.

And don't argue with me, or I will call our lawyer!!!!!!

Old 08-14-2016, 03:24 AM

9,678 posts, read 9,973,716 times
People cannot have a suite against a group of people , must be individual or state or businesses or married couple because it does not identify one entity it would not work out , and thrown out on these grounds that it is not a case by case

Old 08-14-2016, 04:55 AM

50,083 posts, read 20,582,163 times
Quote:
Yes. The theists consistently misunderstand the whole point of Pastafarianism, Pirate school costume, Colanders as religious headgear, and indeed atheist or Bahomet monuments put up as a counter to Christianity doing that sort of stuff. They really think it is a religion applying for equal rights but are angry and confused because it is clearly a 'Made up' religion. Sueing God was never aimed at a real god because we don't believe there is one, but it was was putting Christianity on trial, or the God -claim, at least.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert_The_Crocodile View Post
I can't wait to see the roughly 300 million gays in the world countersue her for... oh, I dunno... whatever. Defamation? Harassment? There must be something. $1000 apiece, but willing to settle out of court for, say, $1 apiece. That'd be reasonable, right?

Someone make it happen, please!
That was my feeling, too. There must, sooner or later, come a 'Dover' of this attempt to force Christian privilege in to the Public classroom. The police chief being told to remove religious messages from the police cars was the "Lemon test" you might say, and I really didn't expect it was happen. And the Kim Davis case was significant, too. But one that really is a legal death blow to the belief that the law will or even out to support the religious extreme is awaited. One that will not have them trying to challenge the law head on trying to overturn it, but will employ crafty lawyers to find ways around it.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 08-14-2016 at 05:24 AM..

Old 08-14-2016, 05:09 AM

50,083 posts, read 20,582,163 times
Quote:
Of course it is. The country (all of it that matters, anyway) was founded by Christian settlers. All the others that came here, Catholics and Jews and the like can practice their own religion - nobody can say we Christians are bigots! But the fact is that Historically, America was and is Christian and the law should reflect that or democracy is a sham.

The sad truth is that the original intentions of the Founding Fathers, who all believed in God even if they didn't want to give political authority to a particular Church, have been twisted so that this 'Constitution' has become a sort of invisible alternative Bible that every president has to kiss in public before he can expect to be elected.

What has happened is that a sort of alternative faux government has moved Christianity out of politics, schools and public life. That is what is meant by hoisting the Christian flag over the Stars and Stripes. At the moment, America has a false liberal and near ungodly government and the religion of this country has to take it back.

That is what is meant. The country has been taken away from the people of America who are Christians and always have been. It is a fact that those who are not, or not Real Christians are Americans on condition they don't rock the boat. If they do, they can expect to be barred or deported.

That pretty much shows who is going to take back the Country for Christian America, and that is why he was chosen to lead the fight.

Frighteningly easy to write, isn't it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
She epitomizes why I hope there's at least a handful of well-funded scientists somewhere, working on a cure for stupid.
We already have a cure for stupid. It's been available since 4th century Greece. But it's never been given to schoolkids because either it doesn't occur to those in the position to call for it (that's us and the people we elect) to do it, or those in a position to do it would rather keep people stupid.

Last edited by TRANSPONDER; 08-14-2016 at 05:18 AM..

Old 08-14-2016, 06:04 AM

3,287 posts, read 2,293,615 times
Quote:
And so the two cases aren't equivalent. That's my point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality