Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-24-2016, 03:56 PM

31,373 posts, read 20,184,822 times

Advertisements

Viz learned that slippery speech from his go-to guru for all things godly -- Matt "The Oil" Slick.

Slick is Viz' hero.

It's kind of sweet....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-24-2016, 04:16 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Yet...it's actually true. There were never any laws specifically targeting gay people from getting married. No one cared if I was straight or gay when I got married and no one I have ever met told me they got asked when they got a marriage license if they were gay or not.

The fact that that the SCOTUS stuck their fingers in the air and saw which way the cultural winds were blowing, then got on board with it doesn't change that fact.

You are right on this one. As long as they pretended to be heterosexual they had the same rights as real heterosexuals but they did not have rights to be homosexual. So they had choices they could make, be homosexuals or have rights but being homosexual with rights should not be a choice they should be able to make, according to your logic. I suppose that could apply to any rights for them, employment, government services, housing, be gay or have rights.

I was not asked if I was heterosexual when I got married. Having to share the word married with a same sex couple has not harmed me. The fact that you do not think they have the right to marry some one with whom they are mutually attracted to and both wish to commit to each other and wish to tell them that if they want to be married they must choose someone they are not sexually attracted to because you do not wish to share the word is a little bit self centred on your part. Your stance that they could still get married is just playing with words. It might make you feel like you are not being bigoted but no less then those who thought Jews could form their own country clubs or blacks could dine at their own lunch counter.

I guess the Supreme Court did not agree that homosexuals should pretend to be heterosexuals if they wish to be treated equally. But I thought the courts ruling was based on the fact that homosexuals could get married in some parts of the country but that their marriage would not be recognized in other States and if that is the case then they were not being treated fairly. Your legal marriage would be accepted in each State but theirs would not.

Old 08-24-2016, 04:24 PM

9,345 posts, read 4,325,044 times
Quote:
That is what marriage has always been. In 200+ years of American history, that's been a given. For almost all of human history, it's been male/female. That's what marriage is. It isn't discrimination to simply go by the definition of what things are.

There is a book that perhaps you should read

Same-Sex Unions throughout Time: A History of Gay Marriage

And an article as well much of which I copied and paste to save you the effort

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Histor...ame-sex_unions

Note it was a Christian emperor who outlawed same sex marriage, maybe not having same sex marriage is a religious custom? And there is more in the article including examples within Christian Europe
Ancient times[edit]

In North America, among the Native Americans societies, same-sex unions have taken place with persons known as Two-Spirit types. These are individuals who fulfill one of many mixed gender roles in First Nations and Native American tribes. "In many tribes, individuals who entered into same-sex relationships were considered holy and treated with utmost respect and acceptance," according to anthropologist Brian Gilley.[SIZE=2][37][/SIZE]

Classical Europe, Middle East, and China[edit]

Emperor Nero is reported to have married at least two males in different occasions.

See also: Homosexuality in ancient Rome and Homosexuality in ancient Greece
There is history of recorded same-sex unions around the world.[SIZE=2][2][/SIZE] Various types of same-sex unions have existed, ranging from informal, unsanctioned relationships to highly ritualized unions.
A same-sex union was known in Ancient Greece and Rome,[SIZE=2][2][/SIZE] ancient Mesopotamia,[SIZE=2][3][/SIZE] in some regions of China, such as Fujian province, and at certain times in ancient European history.[SIZE=2][4][/SIZE]
Same-sex marital practices and rituals were more recognized in Mesopotamia than in ancient Egypt. The Almanac of Incantations contained prayers favoring on an equal basis the love of a man for a woman and of a man for man.[SIZE=2][5][/SIZE]
In the southern Chinese province of Fujian, through the Ming dynasty period, females would bind themselves in contracts to younger females in elaborate ceremonies.[SIZE=2][6][/SIZE] Males also entered similar arrangements. This type of arrangement was also similar in ancient European history.[SIZE=2][7][/SIZE]
An example of egalitarian male domestic partnership from the early Zhou Dynasty period of China is recorded in the story of Pan Zhang & Wang Zhongxian. While the relationship was clearly approved by the wider community, and was compared to heterosexual marriage, it did not involve a religious ceremony binding the couple.[SIZE=2][8][/SIZE]
Some early Western societies integrated same-sex relationships. The practice of same-sex love in ancient Greece often took the form of pederasty, which was limited in duration and in many cases co-existed with marriage.[SIZE=2][9][/SIZE] Documented cases in this region claimed these unions were temporary pederastic relationships.[SIZE=2][10][/SIZE][SIZE=2][11][/SIZE][SIZE=2][12][/SIZE][SIZE=2][13][/SIZE][SIZE=2][14][/SIZE][SIZE=2][15][/SIZE][SIZE=2][16][/SIZE] These unions created a moral dilemma for the Greeks and were not universally accepted.[SIZE=2][17][/SIZE]
At least two of the Roman Emperors were in same-sex unions; and in fact, thirteen out of the first fourteen Roman Emperors held to be bisexual or exclusively homosexual.[SIZE=2][18][/SIZE] The first Roman emperor to have married a man was Nero, who is reported to have married two other men on different occasions. First with one of his freedman, Pythagoras, to whom Nero took the role of the bride, and later as a groom Nero married a young boy to replace his young teenage concubine whom he had killed [SIZE=2][19][/SIZE] named Sporus in a very public ceremony... with all the solemnities of matrimony, and lived with him as his spouse. A friend gave the "bride" away "as required by law." The marriage was celebrated separately in both Greece and Rome in extravagant public ceremonies.[SIZE=2][20][/SIZE] The Child Emperor Elagabalus referred to his chariot driver, a blond slave from Caria named Hierocles, as his husband.[SIZE=2][21][/SIZE] He also married an athlete named Zoticus in a lavish public ceremony in Rome amidst the rejoicings of the citizens.[SIZE=2][22][/SIZE]
In Hellenic Greece, the pederastic relationships between Greek men (erastes) and youths (eromenos) were similar to marriage in that the age of the youth was similar to the age at which women married (the mid-teens, though in some city states, as young as age seven), and the relationship could only be undertaken with the consent of the father.[SIZE=2][citation needed[/SIZE][SIZE=2]][/SIZE] This consent, just as in the case of a daughter's marriage, was contingent on the suitor's social standing. The relationship consisted of very specific social and religious responsibilities and also had a sexual component. Unlike marriage, however, a pederastic relation was temporary and ended when the boy turned seventeen.
At the same time, many of these relationships might be more clearly understood as mentoring relationships between adult men and young boys rather than an analog of marriage. This is particularly true in the case of Sparta, where the relationship was intended to further a young boy's military training. While the relationship was generally lifelong and of profound emotional significance to the participants, it was not considered marriage by contemporary culture, and the relationship continued even after participants reached age 20 and married women, as was expected in the culture.[SIZE=2][citation needed[/SIZE][SIZE=2]][/SIZE]
Numerous examples of same sex unions among peers, not age-structured, are found in Ancient Greek writings. Famous Greek couples in same sex relationships include Harmodius and Aristogiton, Pelopidas and Epaminondas and Alexander and Bogoas. However, in none of these same sex unions is the Greek word for "marriage" ever mentioned. The Romans appear to have been the first to perform same sex marriages.
It should be noted, however, that conubium existed only between a civis Romanus and a civis Romana (that is, between a male Roman citizen and a female Roman citizen), so that a marriage between two Roman males (or with a slave) would have no legal standing in Roman law (apart, presumably, from the arbitrary will of the emperor in the two aforementioned cases).[SIZE=2][23][/SIZE]
Same-sex marriage was outlawed on December 16, 342 AD by the Christian emperors Constantius II and Constans. This law specifically outlaws marriages between men and reads as follows:
When a man “marries” in the manner of a woman, a “woman” about to renounce men, what does he wish, when sex has lost its significance; when the crime is one which it is not profitable to know; when Venus is changed into another form; when love is sought and not found? We order the statutes to arise, the laws to be armed with an avenging sword, that those infamous persons who are now, or who hereafter may be, guilty may be subjected to exquisite punishment. (Theodosian Code 9.7.3) [SIZE=2][24][/SIZE]

Old 08-25-2016, 01:26 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,734,940 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewDropInn View Post
Good luck with that. I've urged Viz to enroll in a civics class at a community college so he can learn the basics of how our country actually works, but he seems uninterested. He seems to prefer American civics as promoted on odd websites frequented by people who think Ms Davis can ignore the law in favor of "God's authority". Just like their first cousins...the Taliban.
Lol I see you play that same "you need a college course" speak with others. And then topped with a pathetic attempt to link Christians to terrorists.

Old 08-25-2016, 01:37 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Lol I see you play that same "you need a college course" speak with others. And then topped with a pathetic attempt to link Christians to terrorists.
Yep. I happily tell everyone who uses the aptly-named Slick, weird websites, and facts pulled out of their butt as a source of information to skeedaddle on over to their local community college and enroll. I believe a mind is a terrible thing to waste and CC's offer an affordable way to fill your mind with knowledge. Go for it, Jeff.

BTW: The Klan is full of Christian terrorists. Eric Rudolph is a Christian terrorist. Christians are not immune nor exempt from being terrorists.

Old 08-25-2016, 02:36 PM

7,057 posts, read 9,080,994 times
Quote:
John referred to himself as the disciple that Jesus loved. To suggest there was more to it than a brotherly or familial love is dishonest.
Well, that's all subject to interpretation, isn't it? You read it your way, I'll read it mine.

Old 08-25-2016, 03:27 PM

18,250 posts, read 16,920,340 times
This Tony Perkins? :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QDacWerct5k

Old 08-25-2016, 03:35 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,177,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
No. That Tony Perkins was bi-sexual. Which would have put him on the list of people the hate-monger Tony Perkins thinks should lose their homes in a natural disaster.

Old 08-26-2016, 02:10 AM

16,155 posts, read 12,858,876 times
Quote:
No rights were denied. Gay people have always been able to marry--with the EXACT SAME rights I have.
Quote:
Yet...it's actually true. There were never any laws specifically targeting gay people from getting married. No one cared if I was straight or gay when I got married and no one I have ever met told me they got asked when they got a marriage license if they were gay or not..
This is the most disingenuous and intellectually dishonest thing I have heard in a long time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zymer View Post
Isn't there a verse or two that says he had some 'special' affection for one of the disciples? Something about them laying together with one's head on the other's chest?
Pffft! That's nothing. You should read the things that the Church deleted from 'God's Unchanging Word'. Like the Gospel of Mark...

"And they come into Bethany. And a certain woman whose brother had died was there. And, coming, she prostrated herself before Jesus and says to him, "Son of David, have mercy on me." But the disciples rebuked her. And Jesus, being angered, went off with her into the garden where the tomb was, and straightway a great cry was heard from the tomb. And going near Jesus rolled away the stone from the door of the tomb. And straightway, going in where the youth was, he stretched forth his hand and raised him, seizing his hand. But the youth, looking upon him, loved him and began to beseech him that he might be with him. And going out of the tomb they came into the house of the youth, for he was rich. And after six days Jesus told him what to do and in the evening the youth comes to him, wearing a linen cloth over his naked body. And he remained with him that night, for Jesus taught him the mystery of the kingdom of God. And thence, arising, he returned to the other side of the Jordan."

So there ya go folks. Jesus spends the night with a near-nekid young man ..."teaching him about the 'Kingdom of God". Is that what they called it in those days!!!

That Jesus was as bent as a nine-bob note!

Old 08-26-2016, 02:45 AM

50,088 posts, read 20,723,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Well, when a serious lack of understanding of s subject becomes evident in those who post on it (1) and we have someone who git sent to jail after trying to abrogate gay rights, I'd say point was made, even if the Taliban connection is a bit extreme.

(2) nobody knows everything of course. I'm pretty good on ancient history but I learn new stuff all the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality