Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-23-2016, 02:54 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,346,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
"Is there evidence that doesn't support torment after-death"

OP is asking us to prove a negative, in a fashion.

Properly, this should be "Is there evidence that does support torment after-death" and the answer to that is "none so far". I doubt that will change.
I agree. The OP question is much like asking the question, "When did you stop beating your wife?"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2016, 03:04 PM

10,519 posts, read 6,156,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
Ask the dead people, they're the only ones who might know. Everybody else is just guessing.
Let's face it, even the dead people don't know, since they're dead.

Old 08-23-2016, 03:05 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,301,797 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruithne View Post
Let's face it, even the dead people don't know, since they're dead.
I gave it a "might" because I'm not dead yet myself, so I'm not 1,000,000,000,000% certain.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:12 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,565,709 times
reasonable people don't think ,,, "no proof against so it may be true."

reasonable people think "with the data we have today, eternal damnation is tupid."
yeah, thats tupid.

Old 08-23-2016, 07:44 PM

17,772 posts, read 13,662,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readytofly View Post
Where would people get this notion from the beginning? These beliefs developed out of thin air?
Dude, dude, dude.

These beliefs developed after people watched people like myself prosper while on earth, while they struggle.

I mean, look at me. Rich beyond belief. Money to burn. Buy anything I want. Have anything I want. Will try to get anything I want including your wife and your daughters.

Meanwhile, the fellow down the street is trying to make ends meet. Being decent to people to some degree because he knows it's the right thing to do and partly because he can't get away with being like me.

So my life goes along swimmingly. A healthy, wealthy life of leisure with a dose of hedonism that would make Oscar Wilde blush.

The other fellow sees that it's highly unlikely that I get my comeuppance in this life. So he decides that I get it after death.

Then he gets the bright idea that he can sell this idea to other people like him to get them to do what he wants. Hell, he might even be able to get them to give him money if he comes up with an enforcer to his idea.

Old 08-23-2016, 08:19 PM

19,952 posts, read 13,447,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petunia 100 View Post
My theory is that it is born out of a desire for life to be fair.
Fair, comprehensible, and not so scary.

But I understood his question was more along the lines of what my late wife found impressive and I did not. She figured it must mean something that "most people" believe in some sort of god and afterlife. But looked at from another facet, even the propensity to succumb to our fears (hyper awareness of existential threats, real and perceived), to infer agency where it doesn't exist (when the bushes rustle, run first and ask questions later) and to give too much credence to anything that supports what we want to be true ... these are all about the fact that we are alone in an indifferent universe, with a finite mortal life, that often seems absurd and makes no sense. So we try to make sense of it, render it explicable and safer. And one way to do that is to invent a meta-reality narrative that in some roundabout way makes sense of experienced reality.

To me the canonical example is the story of the tapestry. Life seems chaotic, like the back of a tapestry. But hidden from you is the beautiful design on the other side that shows how each seemingly random thread has a purpose.

I guess I was never meant for that explanatory framework, because I always figured if the "beautiful tapestry" is hidden and cannot be beheld, its not much use to me. [shrug]

At any rate, a thousand years ago we had few options but to make up stuff like that. Increasingly though we actually understand how reality works and why it is as it is. We're sitting here, talking with each other over great distances using nothing but inconvenienced electrons, and that didn't come about because some theologian somewhere got a word from the Lord about how to do it, either.

Old 08-23-2016, 11:05 PM

16,155 posts, read 12,849,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by readytofly View Post
Where would people get this notion from the beginning?
From the fear of dying.

Old 08-24-2016, 05:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rafius View Post
From the fear of dying.
I think more some from the fear of what they've been told will happen after they die. The subject line says much.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:48 AM

21,020 posts, read 19,360,745 times
Read what people have communicated from the Other Side...see if it rings true to you.

'The Astral City: A Spiritual Journey' ...on Netflix, now... based on famed medium Chico Xavier's communications.
Online free....Anthony Borgia's "Life in the Unseen World"....which the movie,
' What Dreams May Come', Robin Williams, was based on.

Consensus is you make your own hell...and can get out of your own hell, period.
So yes, there is a hell...of your own making.

Old 08-24-2016, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Hepburn View Post
Read what people have communicated from the Other Side...see if it rings true to you.

'The Astral City: A Spiritual Journey' ...on Netflix, now... based on famed medium Chico Xavier's communications.
Online free....Anthony Borgia's "Life in the Unseen World"....which the movie,
' What Dreams May Come', Robin Williams, was based on.

Consensus is you make your own hell...and can get out of your own hell, period.
So yes, there is a hell...of your own making.
Unsupported claims are not evidence.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality