U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Today, 09:44 AM

23,723 posts, read 10,778,901 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BaptistFundie View Post

But churches are not hotels, nor are they homeless shelters. They don't let people sleep in them for the same reason that everyone on this forum likely locks their doors. They probably don't let people just wander in to sleep on their couches. They don't want to get robbed. While 99% of the people sleeping there would be fine, it only takes 1 person to steal before it causes problems. Our church does not have the money to be replacing computer equipment every week. The money is better spent helping in other ways.
I don't think you and I have ever agreed on something before...but we do here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 10:51 AM

57,207 posts, read 55,455,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Watchman57 View Post
Approximately 3 million Americans will experience homelessness this year, about 25% are Veterans who voluntarily served and sacrificed for this nation, 1.5 million are children, 40% are employed. The nauseating ignort uniformed claim homeless are lazy substance abusing unclean is ridiculous. To those i say go spend time volunteering or donate food/clothes and talk to homeless people and learn about the issue instead of speaking without any knowledge on the subject. Christians are required to feed the hungry clothe the naked...not judge/condemn and insult/ignore.
My ignort uniform is at the cleaners.

Just having fun with your typos.

Agree with the post, though.

Old Today, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phetaroi View Post
It seems to me that feeding the hungry and clothing the hungry is treating the symptoms, rather than the underlying problem. Don't get me wrong...I think it's a good thing that various religious groups -- not just christians -- donate time and money to feed and clothe and provide a minimal level of healthcare to the homeless and other similarly unfortunate people. But it's not solving the problem.

Some of these homeless people -- perhaps in our country even most of them -- are mentally ill. A soup kitchen doesn't solve mental illness. And thus it become a cyclical problem for the individual. In fact, it almost rewards them. Similarly, letting the homeless sleep in a church is not solving homelessness except on a very minuscule basis.

I would like to see churches and other groups -- and yes, the government -- step up and not just put a patch on homelessness. I'd like to see a concerted plan to attack the problem at its roots.
I think many of us would. Meanwhile, despite the ones that get all the attention for big facilities and pastoral jets and whatnot, the average church is not in a financial or personnel or power position to attack homelessness at its roots. Most do what they can to keep people alive with meals or maybe work with social services to keep people sheltered.

Can't get political here or I'll have to give myself an infraction, but let's just say that treating the mentally ill or mentally/physically disabled and others of those unable to care for themselves would be a priority over fancy new weaponry if I were actually Queen.

Old Today, 12:04 PM

5,243 posts, read 2,241,125 times
The "logic" in the original post should carry over to the OP as well.

If you, OP, insist on the better-off taking care of the homeless, are you opening your home to them? If not, why?

Old Today, 12:23 PM

23,723 posts, read 10,778,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
The "logic" in the original post should carry over to the OP as well.

If you, OP, insist on the better-off taking care of the homeless, are you opening your home to them? If not, why?
That's asking too much, in my view.

When I was a teacher, I didn't invite students into my home.
My doctor doesn't invite me over to his house when I'm sick.
My lawyer doesn't do his business in his living room.

Old Today, 12:31 PM

1,017 posts, read 856,618 times
@ Mighty Queen 801....Lol...steering was loose and the brakes were bad...oops...may also had my fur frizzed forgot to check post before posting...i would never accuse this phone of deliberately changing my spelling due to its brain thingee being damaged..

Old Today, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by watchman57 View Post
@ mighty queen 801....lol...steering was loose and the brakes were bad...oops...may also had my fur frizzed forgot to check post before posting...i would never accuse this phone of deliberately changing my spelling due to its brain thingee being damaged..
Well, I hope you didn't spill your beer, too!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality