Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2016, 01:21 PM

17,071 posts, read 10,916,184 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph_Kirk View Post
That would make a face-obscuring niqab an issue for the application of public policy, but not a "birkini."
Precisely
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2016, 01:47 PM

28,665 posts, read 18,775,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
Precisely
However, a law that prohibited burkinis but not other dress that covered as much skin (such as nun habits) would arguably still be a law targeting a specific expression of religion.

Old 09-02-2016, 05:25 PM

Quote:
However, a law that prohibited burkinis but not other dress that covered as much skin (such as nun habits) would arguably still be a law targeting a specific expression of religion.
No, it would be a law targeting a specific cultural expression, not protected under freedom of religion, but under equal protection.

Old 09-02-2016, 06:39 PM

28,665 posts, read 18,775,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nateswift View Post
No, it would be a law targeting a specific cultural expression, not protected under freedom of religion, but under equal protection.
"Specific cultural expression" is free speech--that's already been dealt with by the courts. Same amendment as freedom of religion.

Old 09-02-2016, 09:55 PM

Quote:
"Specific cultural expression" is free speech--that's already been dealt with by the courts. Same amendment as freedom of religion.
I think that is essentially what I said, and the point remains that it is not about freedom of religion.

Old 09-03-2016, 03:29 AM

32,530 posts, read 22,026,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Are you assuming that the women are not voluntarily wearing their burkinis? I don't deny you pose a good question, but don't assume that there is only one answer.
Great photoshopping...

Old 09-03-2016, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Freedom for women to practice a religion, or not practice a religion, as they so choose.

The same freedom that exists for these nuns to go to the beach attired as they see fit, no matter how ridiculous I think that may be.

And frankly, it's sadly condescending for people like you to lecture women that they're incapable of making their own decisions on how they dress.

PS - It's duly noted that you're another in a long line of people defining 'political correctness' as "anything I don't like".
OMG!...They're exposing their ankles!...How disgusting!...They're going to lead men at the beach into impure thoughts!...

Actually, the nun facing the group pointing back to the two in the water seems to be saying, "Just look at what you caused now Sister Hagatha by nagging to go to the beach, I shouldn't have given in!...What am I going to tell the Mother Superior?!...Get them out of the water, now!"...

Old 09-03-2016, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Not a bad response. I also follow Ed Stetzer. I do agree with him here, as well.

FWIW, this is an issue the French people are dealing with. We have no say over what the French do. But I will defend the right of a Muslim woman to wear a burkini in America.

Having said that, there is another issue --that of a woman covering her head (and face) in a Driver's License photo. I do not see it as an infringement issue if the DMV asks a person to remove a face covering or hat when they have a picture taken for their State I.D.
Here in NC they have you sign a sheet stating that you wear certain head gear at all times for religious purposes...My liscense portrays me wearing my Kippah...

Old 09-03-2016, 03:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyndarn View Post
I actually find this topic rather amusing..Burkinis Swimwear is NO different that what some Christian extremes too!! I recall the Duggar lifestyle and their demand that the women wear body coverings when at beach...of course didn't include head covering..BUT the preaching of modesty is not exclusive to Islam.

Also..I trained in a Catholic Hospital..and the Nun's ( even after transition from formal "Habits") still wore The head gear!! So I find it rather disingenuous to suggest it's only Islam Religion restrictive to clothing.

I also say, face covering forced on Women ..and is NOT allowed in a free society and must remove for ID in most democratic Countries ..Why..Because facial recognitions is required...

Just as a side note..I recall pictures about 2 decades ago..Michael Jackson trotting around in a Burka when visiting Dubai..while it was comical..It proves the point..Hiding identity is a HUUUGE problem in a Identifying democratic society..You cannot walk around with impunity and have licenses to conduct businesses or avail yourself of benefits of a free society HIDING behind a veil!! One must be identifiable when utilizing services offered to citizens!!
Simple...Fingerprint recognition...Banks are now doing it...

Old 09-03-2016, 04:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
No!!!

Freedom for a woman is for her to be able to decide how much or how little she wears at the beach. If a woman wishes to wear a bikini and her husband or brother does not allow it that is not freedom. If a woman wishes to wear a Burkina and her husband or brother does not allow it that also is not freedom.

I could see my wife wearing one on a cold day in the kayak. She cannot stand the cold on her ears.

And can you not be either naked or not naked?
Yea, I agree with you...It should be a personal choice based on self-aquired information...The best a husband or brother can do is to be there to protect them if a crisis should arise... Or they may be able to protect themselves if they carry a gun or practice the martial arts...But, as far as them causing men to think impure thoughts...Well, that's on the men for their weak will and should not be blamed on the women, otherwise it could very well be claimed that it was the 7 year old little girls fault for being raped by a pedophile...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality