Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-03-2016, 10:16 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,917,771 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlander View Post
Boy are you old! I am just 19,nineteen days younger than you.
Yeah, '51 was a pretty good year I must admit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-03-2016, 10:22 PM

11,019 posts, read 5,978,490 times
Damn you guys are good!

Ok, so I would put the possibility/probability of consciousness surviving physical death at around 1% or less. More likely around 0.00000001% or less. Why so high? Because I had a few experiences following the suicidal death of my son. Until then I had taken it that the probability was a perfect zero. Following his death I looked into NDE's and OBE's. I came to the conclusion that there was about zero evidence to support after death existence. No one who had had an NDE had actually died. If they had it would not be called a NDE and they would not have been able to report it.

So what caused my experiences? Quite frankly I do not know. What caused my mobile to produce a totally out of place but directly related text message the moment I asked my son to produce some evidence of his after death existence? A billion to one coincidence? I have no answer. Hence my 0.0000001% to 1% estimate as opposed to a perfect zero.

Who says there isn't another sate of matter (or whatever) that is far more subtle that does faintly interacts with the known state of matter? (That was just a hypothetical speculation thrown out there).

I still hope there is some form of after death existence so that I might 'see' my son again. 'Hope' being the operative word here.

Still, I did have some experiences that made me wonder whether there really was a after death consciousness existence. I'm waiting for some tangible evidence. Nothing so far.

Old 09-04-2016, 11:32 AM

9,981 posts, read 8,587,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
I used to be 100% sure of an afterlife even as a non-Christian when I turned to deism. Now I'm not as sure. My feeling is that NDE's are not as reliable a predictor of an afterlife as I used to believe they were simply because if they were real then everybody who clinically dies would have one but they don't. Only about 15% have them. Take away the frauds like Dannion Brinkley and Mellon Bennedict who had them in the privacy of their own homes and now write books and tell tall tales about theirs and the percentage drops even lower. I'm thinking it's just a matter of time before the scientists come up with a rational explanation to explain away the few remaining ones.

Those who think there is a possibility of an afterlife what do you personally put the odds at? Currently I think maybe it's 60% for and 40% against. I give them a slight edge because 1. I'm deist and so believe in some sort of higher power and 2. even though they vary considerably from person to person there are still a few similarities i.e. floating above the body, going down the tunnel, etc. The 40% just has to do with the belief that "if it sounds too good to be true it probably is" and why God makes things so terrible over here and so indescribably beautiful over there. Doesn't make a bit of sense to me.

But if such a place exists I would guess it's nothing fancy--probably an alternate dimension that looks exactly like this one, which is why many people have said they didn't even realize they were dead when they first entered this alternate state.
if we were allowed 100% certainty, then it wouldn't be an "afterlife" at all, right ?
for some reason, it's better this way.

Old 09-04-2016, 11:55 AM

22,149 posts, read 19,203,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 303Guy View Post
...So what caused my experiences? Quite frankly I do not know. What caused my mobile to produce a totally out of place but directly related text message the moment I asked my son to produce some evidence of his after death existence?

Who says there isn't another sate of matter (or whatever) that is far more subtle that does faintly interacts with the known state of matter?

....Still, I did have some experiences that made me wonder whether there really was a after death consciousness existence. I'm waiting for some tangible evidence. Nothing so far.
No, you got the evidence, you got the response from your son. You are choosing to ignore it. It matters nothing what others say or think or experience. What matters is your own experiences with your beloved son. You are correct that there are other states that interact with us. Your experience is valid.

There is no such thing as random, no such thing as coincidence. The universe is responsive and interactive. How about continuing the conversation with your son?

Last edited by Tzaphkiel; 09-04-2016 at 12:06 PM..

Old 09-04-2016, 12:06 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,302,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thrillobyte View Post
For Noz and Mystic, this stuff has gone way above my poor limited intellect. I mean throw a couple of $50 words at me and I crumble intellectually. I'm gonna just watch the show. If anything I understand jumps out I'll hazard a reply and hope I don't have a NDE in the process.
Several of the voices in my head have Ph.D.s, send me a note if you stuck on a word.

Old 09-04-2016, 12:07 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,302,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Yeah, '51 was a pretty good year I must admit.
Yep, Rush Limbaugh was born in '51, as was I. Both on the same day, a Friday. Proves astrology is junk.

Old 09-04-2016, 01:41 PM

15,850 posts, read 6,311,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpanaPointer View Post
Several of the voices in my head have Ph.D.s, send me a note if you stuck on a word.
I have to look up words here all the time. I'm still trying to figure out how to use hubris without epitomizing it. Word salad was a challenging one too but I figured a way to toss that one out. Sorry Arch Angel.

Old 09-04-2016, 01:42 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,040,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post

There is no such thing as random, no such thing as coincidence. The universe is responsive and interactive. How about continuing the conversation with your son?
This is an interesting opinion that I would like to pursue.

What do you mean by random? Are you saying that everything is preordained? Are you saying that the universe is deterministic? Or that everything happens for a purpose of some kind?

Old 09-04-2016, 02:16 PM

22,149 posts, read 19,203,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishbrains View Post
...Or that everything happens for a purpose of some kind?
Everything that happens has meaning and purpose. Layer upon layer of meaning and purpose.

Old 09-04-2016, 02:19 PM

13,011 posts, read 13,040,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
Everything has meaning and purpose.
Ok. I just pulled two cards off the top of a deck. One was the 7 of hearts, the other the 3 of clubs. What was the meaning and purpose? How would we determine this?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality