Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2016, 06:30 PM

28,432 posts, read 11,476,496 times

Advertisements

purely "em" being ... hmmm force carrier. force field or particle field are very similar. so far anyway.

we are because of what space is.

Can that fabric be aware? It probably is, in fact I claim "alive" is a far better descriptor than "not alive". I don't much care about what ex-fundy religious atheist say about 'don't say that" or "just deny everything" in favor of team unity and anti religion. bunch of kitties anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2016, 08:20 PM

21,893 posts, read 19,034,671 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nozzferrahhtoo View Post

But that said, how have you established this alleged "reliability". It appears on first glance that a "reliable" source gains that accreditation merely by being in agreement with your narrative.

... when we put any kind of controls on testimony to assist in verifying it....

...Just because "Lots of things are true that we can't find evidence for" that does not lend credibility to any random unsubstantiated thing you point a finger at. ....
Good point. Let's talk about the process and tools and skills you already have and already use to determine what is true for you and reliable for you in daily life in the myriad areas that science does not address.

For the items listed below How do you determine for yourself what is a reliable answer when you answer the questions ? How do you know what is true for you versus something you are just imagining or making up? What "controls do you use in verifying your testimony" either to yourself or someone else?

How do you know these are true for you in your own life? How do you determine for yourself the answer to these questions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tzaphkiel View Post
.....such as being in love, such as what a person finds inspiring, such as what is compelling, such as what you dreamed last night, such as your favorite food, such as who you trust or not. The list goes on and on. ...

Old 09-26-2016, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arach Angle View Post
I don't much care about what ex-fundy religious atheist say about 'don't say that" or "just deny everything" in favor of team unity and anti religion. bunch of kitties anyway.
This is very refreshing . Always good to read your posts and views Angel

Old 09-26-2016, 09:00 PM

There are many many areas of life that science does not address. How do you evaluate and determine what is true or real or valid or reliable for you in the areas of life that science does not address?

Old 09-26-2016, 09:59 PM

31,374 posts, read 20,013,000 times
Quote:
There are many many areas of life that science does not address. How do you evaluate and determine what is true or real or valid or reliable for you in the areas of life that science does not address?
My gut.

Old 09-27-2016, 01:34 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,341,875 times
Quote:
Good point. Let's talk about the process and tools and skills you already have and already use to determine what is true for you and reliable for you in daily life in the myriad areas that science does not address.
Or in other words "Lets not address a single point you just made in your last post while I go off on a random tangent instead, preferably one that involves a meta-discussion on things not even thus far discussed". Such is your MO alas.

Quote:
For the items listed below How do you determine for yourself what is a reliable answer when you answer the questions ?
Substantiation. I differentiate between claims based on how much substantiation the claimant is offering for them. For example YOUR claims about the after life you have not just offered very little substantiation for, you have offered EXACTLY and PRECISELY zero substantiation for. Nothing. Nothing at all. Not once. Anywhere. Ever.

And if that was not bad enough, not only do you fail in every way to show substantiation for your positions, you also do not discuss or acknowledge or explore the MYRIAD of evidence that goes AGAINST your position.

As I said before, and Box above ramifies it too, we do have a lot of data related to human consciousness and it's workings. And the simple fact is that it is not just that 0% of it supports your narrative. 100% of it is CONTRARY to your narrative. That means you have LESS than nothing supporting your position.

An unsupported position is bad enough. A position that goes directly against not just some but ALL of the evidence you do actually have however is..... egregious.

Quote:
There are many many areas of life that science does not address.
Not really there isn't no. And even the areas people USED to think science did not address, it actually does. Like morality and art. We have very much begun to establish Scientific Theories of Morality and Art, and there are even now workable and substantiated "laws" of artistic appreciation exploring, at the level of the brain, why we respond to art like we do.

So no, I do not think there are many.... if any..... areas of life that science does not address or explore. And what few there are, tend to be manufactured from navel gazing.

Old 09-27-2016, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Substantiation
How do you know or substantiate or determine what is true for you in your own life in these areas:

being in love, such as what a person finds inspiring, such as what is compelling, such as what you dreamed last night, such as your favorite food or music or books, such as who you trust or not.

Old 09-27-2016, 08:36 AM

7,801 posts, read 6,341,875 times
You REALLY do like ignoring all my points, rebutting none of them, but asking follow on leading questions away from the original post. Don't you?

Are you going to answer a SINGLE point or challenge or question put to you, or are you going to continue forever with this leading questions dodge MO?

Quote:
How do you know or substantiate or determine what is true for you in your own life in these areas
Question is too general. Point to a claim I have made, or something I have espoused, and I will tell you how I substantiate it.

Quote:
being in love, such as what a person finds inspiring, such as what is compelling, such as what you dreamed last night, such as your favorite food or music or books, such as who you trust or not.
It is not at all clear what about those things you want me to substantiate or to have substantiated. What is there to substantiate about subjective experience, and subjective responses, other than their existence?

Old 09-27-2016, 05:48 PM

Quote:
...It is not at all clear what about those things you want ...
How do you decide for yourself what is true for you?

(examples)
what is inspiring
what is compelling
what is your favorite food or music
what did you dream last night
who you trust or not

On what basis for yourself do you make decisions in determining what is true for you?

Old 09-27-2016, 10:56 PM

5,421 posts, read 6,481,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boxcar Overkill View Post

(I'm not asking about a theory here, I'm asking for evidence that whatever is created by the brain is able to live a separate and sapient life after the death of the brain.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticPhD View Post
Then we cannot resolve it, Box. I do not have anything that you would consider evidence of it, though I have enough to satisfy me. At this stage of our knowledge and understanding, plausible theories are all we have. The plausible is usually easy to see, but some people are so rigid in their materialism that they refuse to credit even plausible hypotheses as plausible.

I agree this is the end of the trail.

There really isn't anything that I would consider evidence to suggest that sapience continues to exist after the death of the brain.

There is a theory that you consider plausible, but I'm afraid I only consider it possible - and even then unlikely.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality