Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 03:47 PM

2 posts, read 4,148 times

Advertisements

The American Church is Dead (as a whole)

I have read the bible over and over (New Testament) I am trying to find the reason for denominations. If these so called chrsitians believe in Jesus Christ why should their views be so much different that they must put a barrier between themselves. A house divided will never stand and the american christian church (Even the world church) is in my humble opinion on its knees. If you look in the bible the early church was usually meetings of small groups and that the only seperation between these groups was the location. I think that the church in the U.S. has little hope unless we are awakened and realise these small differences don't matter and we must unite. It disgust me that we sit in our little comfort zones drinking coffee and eating donuts while we should be out eveangelizing and helping those in need. We must change ....well does any one have any other thoughts on the subject
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 05:31 PM

5,493 posts, read 7,338,677 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ehrlichewörter View Post

I have read the bible over and over (New Testament) I am trying to find the reason for denominations. If these so called chrsitians believe in Jesus Christ why should their views be so much different that they must put a barrier between themselves. A house divided will never stand and the american christian church (Even the world church) is in my humble opinion on its knees. If you look in the bible the early church was usually meetings of small groups and that the only seperation between these groups was the location. I think that the church in the U.S. has little hope unless we are awakened and realise these small differences don't matter and we must unite. It disgust me that we sit in our little comfort zones drinking coffee and eating donuts while we should be out eveangelizing and helping those in need. We must change ....well does any one have any other thoughts on the subject
I'm on a diet, and have stopped eating donuts.

Old 02-21-2008, 05:38 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,184,746 times
Quote:

Change would be welcomed...start with yourselves.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:47 AM

2,741 posts, read 8,884,530 times
Quote:

That's easy: there are denominations because people disagree on the interpretation of different teachings in the Bible. When you have unresolved differences, the different sides will go their seperate ways...hence the various major, and minor, denominations. I agree that it would be better if we were all standing together in agreement. How will we make that happen? How will you make the Protestants stand together in agreement with the Catholics? And the Pentacostalists with the Baptists? The Mormons with the Fundamentalists? Etc, etc....the list goes on and on...
To some degree, the various denominations might be explained by the analogy that the church is comparable to a body, like the human body. One is an "arm", the other a "leg", the other the "foot", etc. One cannot do the mission and purpose of the other. One might minister to me personally in a mighty way, but the other would do nothing for me, but for you the opposite might be true. If you are the "foot", then you won't feel comfortable in the "arm". This doesn't mean there is something "wrong" with the arm, it just means you don't belong there...
I believe that one day we shall be united. But, until then, do the best you can...

PS: I don't eat donuts either...they're really bad for your health...

Bud

Old 02-22-2008, 03:41 AM

571 posts, read 853,147 times
Ok guys first you understand why this barrier started.

its because catholics started charging people alot for heaven iteams somthing like that
There was a priest who critized the man who was doing that
The pope told him to be quite
he finnaly get printing press and spread his views across europ
POPE excumincated him
(by the way the pope was selling the cardnals seats for cash moral right)
the guys says im breaking from the catholic relgion
he runs to a country who will protect him.

Thats the basics of it.

American church is declining not dead, mainly because people realy dont like intolerance and we are now reading the old testement and going WT$ (dont want to be censored) this is a bunch of ($$W%$W can i beleive in christainty and not the old testement? anwser is no so they say **** this and become another faith

excuse spelling erros REALY TIRED

Old 02-22-2008, 03:47 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,232,534 times
Is there such a thing as an American church?
I mean is every church in America an 'American' Church?
Is a Roman Catholic church in America an American church or just a Catholic church (which happens to be located in America)?

Old 02-22-2008, 03:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
Is there such a thing as an American church?
I mean is every church in America an 'American' Church?
Is a Roman Catholic church in America an American church or just a Catholic church (which happens to be located in America)?
ehh there realy isnt just using there words i guessing they mean christainty. the Faith has changed alot just like politics and the moral code

Old 02-22-2008, 04:07 AM

8,568 posts, read 16,232,534 times
True, but I assume that there are differences between a Catholic church in NY and a Catholic church in San Francisco.
Could one assume that one of these American churches is more 'American' than the other? Even when they are both American and a Catholic church.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tricky D View Post
True, but I assume that there are differences between a Catholic church in NY and a Catholic church in San Francisco.
Could one assume that one of these American churches is more 'American' than the other? Even when they are both American and a Catholic church.
realy there shouldnt be lol if there is that realy means there different religions.

A religion isnt suppose to change because of the people around them, christainty however is very good at this

Old 02-22-2008, 06:42 AM

1,962 posts, read 5,197,080 times
Quote:

I understand your frustration. However, to clarify a bit There is no such things as an "American Church" just as there's no English church, German church, Australian church, etc. There is God's Church period. Plus, God always has a remnant faithful to him (Romans 9:27, 11:5). "The Church" can never be brought to "its knees" (Matthew 16:18). Unite yes, but never at the abandonment of truth and correct doctrine. In other words, can you "unite" with someone that calls themselves a Christian but denies Jesus ever existed or was fully God? I don't think so.

You said,
Quote:
It disgust me that we sit in our little comfort zones drinking coffee and eating donuts while we should be out eveangelizing and helping those in need. We must change
I agree we need change, but I think we don't all sit in our little comfort zone and eat dough nuts and drink coffee. Should we be out evangelizing? Yes, but if you gage some of our non believing friends here on CD they will tell you not to bother Sad thing is the world does not want to hear the truth that is the wall that needs to be scaled and it's a big one.

Thanks for your thoughts and comments.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality