Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: God doesn't prevent terrible things from happening because:
He can't 6 9.09%
He doesn't want to 3 4.55%
He causes them 2 3.03%
He doesn't exist 45 68.18%
He's way too mysterious for you atheists to understand 10 15.15%
Voters: 66. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2016, 01:02 PM

5,624 posts, read 6,843,959 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Because he isn't your Santa Claus. He's God. He is omnipotent and omniscient. He has a right to do what he wants with his creation, and sometimes that goes against what even the great and wise Ricky Gervais wants.
amen!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2016, 01:24 PM

11,162 posts, read 7,636,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
Why doesn't God stop all murders? All crime? Why doesn't God force everyone to drive safely so there is never a car wreck again? Want to drive fast and reckless? Sorry, not allowed in your bubble world of morality. You can't maintain free will while demanding all bad things end.
Those are great questions. Why doesn't He?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffbase40 View Post
God's love is not random. It's personal. Our lazy minds don't want that. We want conformity. Routine. Everything the same for everyone. That's not life. Every person is on their own unique life path and guess what, no matter how many friends or family you got, love of the world or wealth, we all have to die alone at the end. Everyone's circumstances are difference. Who knows, one child that got recruited may cross paths with another person who leads them to salvation. And that path intersection would have never been possible if the child wasn't recruited. You don't know all the facts but have no problem laying down judgement.
By "laying down judgement", do you mean exercising common sense?

If God's love is "personal", does that mean that He did not love the murdered 6 year olds at Sandy Hook? There was something about them He did not like, and thus could not be bothered to keep them safe?

Old 09-08-2016, 02:28 PM

63,809 posts, read 40,077,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maiden_fern View Post
Jeff, what parts of your body do you think go to heaven? How will you sing praises without vocal cords?
Sorry to interject, but this is a symptom of our conditioned assication with our physical body. We will have a spiritual body. Since everything we "sing" is first created in our Spirit as praise, it is already expressed spiritually. Our voice and ears simply enable us to enjoy it while in our body.

Old 09-08-2016, 02:50 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Change "insults" to "insights" and you'd speak truth, for once.

That you don't recognize them when they smack you upside the head is no longer a surprise.
Insulting is all you do here.

Old 09-08-2016, 02:56 PM

10,087 posts, read 5,733,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
More people are being saved each year, but roughly twenty times as many are going to perdition. But you are grateful that it's not you. Yeah, that is pretty much the way I looked at it back in the day, too, until I saw how callous that was.

In any case you have faith that god has "mysterious ways" that we may not be aware of that justify sending around 50 million people per year to hell. Every. Year. I have to hand it to you, that's a whole LOT of faith.

Jeff, if you told me that my argument had a logical hole in it, I would not regard it as an insult, and neither should you. It is simply an observation.
You ignored 90% of my argument and forced the conversation in this completely different desperate direction. Stating that my arguments have monster truck holes in them instead of just simply giving a counter argument comes off as arrogant and condescending to me.

With your logic, God should have never created humanity in the first place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post

One thing you and Tz do more than most is to hide behind manufactured offense rather than rebut or otherwise address logical arguments that don't happen to flatter your position. You really aren't helping your cause that way.
More arrogance. I took on your posts directly today and of course just like every atheist, you refuse to give me any credit.

Old 09-08-2016, 03:15 PM

4,747 posts, read 2,348,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
Too soon etc. but bang on!
It will always be "too soon" for this kind of a tragedy. Because it was so heartbreaking and pointless. If it does not demonstrate that there is no God however, nothing does.

Old 09-08-2016, 03:18 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,303,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tired of the Nonsense View Post
It will always be "too soon" for this kind of a tragedy. Because it was so heartbreaking and pointless. If it does not demonstrate that there is no God however, nothing does.
Actually, everything demonstrates there is no God. Exception imagination, that is.

Old 09-08-2016, 06:42 PM

23,148 posts, read 10,445,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cupper3 View Post
On give me a break with your cognitive dissonance.

Care to educate us on how they were to be whipped?

Exodus 21:20-21 (NASB): 20If a man strikes his male or female slave with a rod and he dies at his hand, he shall be punished. 21If, however, he survives a day or two, no vengeance shall be taken; for he is his property.
Exodus 21:26-27 (NASB): 26If a man strikes the eye of his male or female slave, and destroys it, he shall let him go free on account of his eye. 27And if he knocks out a tooth of his male or female slave, he shall let him go free on account of his tooth.
Get it. It. Is. His. Property.

Do you need me to get into the NT and slavery? It's not any better.
You can get into anything you want, what I say is that The Torah demands mercy and respect to all gentiles whether they be slaves or not.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:45 PM

1,226 posts, read 633,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Because he isn't your Santa Claus. He's God. He is omnipotent and omniscient. He has a right to do what he wants with his creation, and sometimes that goes against what even the great and wise Ricky Gervais wants.
On the seventh day he rested, and he has done so ever since. Your god is also omnilazy.

Old 09-08-2016, 07:59 PM

10,202 posts, read 7,920,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hannibal Flavius View Post
You can get into anything you want, what I say is that The Torah demands mercy and respect to all gentiles whether they be slaves or not.
Errr....Exodus IS part of the Torah. You can NOT deny what it says, but you certainly are trying to deflect and justify what it says.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality