Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-09-2016, 09:24 AM

2,446 posts, read 1,386,419 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vizio View Post
Other than "it just is"? I haven't seen that.

You are one dense guy. I was certainly wrong about your level of intelligence.

Quote:
Why is it true? If you believe that we are all just animals.....and we are all basically products of chemical reactions, where does morality come from? If we're just doing what comes natural, how can it be wrong?
What does it matter where it comes from? If we only did things that were natural, we wouldn't be having this conversation. We tend to do things because they are good for society, not because they are natural. Last I checked though, murder isn't "natural".

Quote:
Not if we're all just animals. There is nothing immoral about a chimpanzee killing another chimp. Or a lion killing a zebra. Or a coyote eating a fawn.

Or even a killer whale killing seals for sport. It's what they are--it's their nature.
They are killing for food, which is not the same, and as usual, you know this, yet choose to be deliberately ignorant. You are also comparing a whale to humans, which is just plain ridiculous, which again, you know, yet choose to be deliberately obtuse.

Quote:
I get it. You don't have an answer, so you're bailing on the tough questions.
I have given you answers. You simply refuse to read and understand them, Slick.

Quote:
At least based on your OPINION. Sorry....your OPINION is not binding on God.
Yea? What is yours based on? The Bible? Which in YOUR OPINION is true? Face it Slick, everything is someone opinion, even your precious holy book.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-09-2016, 09:27 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times
Viz has pulled this schtick for years. Since it reflects his mind, it's very simple:

Viz' "opinion" is the godling in his holy book establishes morality.

Sane, educated, moral people know it does not.

Viz does not value the opinion of sane, educated, moral people.

Old 09-09-2016, 09:29 AM

11,162 posts, read 7,635,022 times
Quote:
Why is that wrong? Can you tell me without assuming morality?
As stated earlier, if life is good than depriving another of their life without cause is bad.

Quote:
As stated earlier, if life is good than depriving another of their life without cause is bad.

Quote:
If freedom is good, then depriving another of their freedom is bad.

Quote:
The Bible never states that.
Deuteronomy 22:28-29 New International Version (NIV)

28 If a man happens to meet a virgin who is not pledged to be married and rapes her and they are discovered, 29 he shall pay her father fifty shekels of silver. He must marry the young woman, for he has violated her. He can never divorce her as long as he lives.

Quote:
But even so....why is that wrong? Can you tell me without assuming morality?
Hurting others is bad.

Old 09-09-2016, 09:30 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,649,477 times
Quote:
Because they're not authoritative. Neither is your opinion.

What makes your OPINION the standard?
No Viz. It is always "opinion". Each person has a different personal standard as to what is "moral" or "right" or "wrong".
No one gets to say their opinion is more valid than another as a basis.
You use the Bible as a basis...but others use the same Book and have a different opinion as to the interpretation of it for their basis. What interpretation is correct to use as a basis?
Others use different "Holy" books and writings as a basis. That is their "opinion". Why is it any less valid as a basis?
I think where you lose track...is failing to to realize that your individual and personal interpretation of that one particular Book is just YOUR OPINION...and has no more objective validity than any other.

Old 09-09-2016, 09:42 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
You are one dense guy. I was certainly wrong about your level of intelligence.

What does it matter where it comes from? If we only did things that were natural, we wouldn't be having this conversation. We tend to do things because they are good for society, not because they are natural. Last I checked though, murder isn't "natural".

They are killing for food, which is not the same, and as usual, you know this, yet choose to be deliberately ignorant. You are also comparing a whale to humans, which is just plain ridiculous, which again, you know, yet choose to be deliberately obtuse.

So, as I asked above, a killer whale killing for sport is immoral?

Quote:

I have given you answers. You simply refuse to read and understand them, Slick.
You've begged the question. You're assuming that to be true, but you have not explained WHY it is.

STILL waiting for you to quit dodging the question.

Old 09-09-2016, 09:43 AM

19,942 posts, read 17,187,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GldnRule View Post
No Viz. It is always "opinion". Each person has a different personal standard as to what is "moral" or "right" or "wrong".
No one gets to say their opinion is more valid than another as a basis.
So every time an atheist whines about God being immoral, it's a moot point, since they have no basis for judging another's morality. Gotcha.

STILL waiting for someone to tell me why they think they can say God is immoral....

Old 09-09-2016, 09:55 AM

Quote:
So, as I asked above, a killer whale killing for sport is immoral?

You've begged the question. You're assuming that to be true, but you have not explained WHY it is.

STILL waiting for you to quit dodging the question.
As I stated above, comparing a whale to a human morality is ridiculously stupid. If it were a human killing other humans for sport, it would certainly be immoral

And you are ASSUMING your Bible is true, and using your OPINION to base your morality on. How are you any different? Saying the Bible is the source of morality is absurdly stupid, and as I told someone earlier in the thread, if you think the Bible is the only true source of morality, and the Bible is needed to be moral, in the words of Amiri King, "I have news for you. You're parents are related!"

I haven't dodged anything, Slick. I am tired of your "play dumb!" routine though. You have ZERO substance, and no longer merit a response on this topic.

Old 09-09-2016, 09:55 AM

31,373 posts, read 20,178,156 times
Quote:
So every time an atheist whines about God being immoral, it's a moot point, since they have no basis for judging another's morality. Gotcha.

STILL waiting for someone to tell me why they think they can say God is immoral....
LOL.

Waiting with his eyes closed, fingers in his ears and those who challenge him put on "Ignore."

Old 09-09-2016, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TroutDude View Post
Viz has pulled this schtick for years. Since it reflects his mind, it's very simple:

Viz' "opinion" is the godling in his holy book establishes morality.

Sane, educated, moral people know it does not.

Viz does not value the opinion of sane, educated, moral people.
In reality, Viz doesn't actually have an opinion. He let's his religion choose his opinion for him. It is a sad and pathetic way to go through life.

I mean, come on man! He admitted earlier that he can't determine right from wrong unless his Bible tells him.... That is quite scary if you ask me, and also tells me that he probably skews towards the psychopath side of things, since he has no empathy and has to rely on others to tell him what is right and wrong.

Old 09-09-2016, 09:59 AM

12,595 posts, read 6,649,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernbored View Post
Oh, so you are like Vizio, and can't determine what someone means. I should have known.

Silly me, I keep forgetting you guys like to be purposely obtuse. No more use for a conversation with you if you can't read and understand a simple post.
So, tell me...what determination of "murder" do we go by?
The laws in the U.S.? The laws in Saudi Arabia? Current laws? Previous laws? The laws in some "holy book"? What you think it should be? What I think it should be? Some other random persons opinion of what is or isn't "murder"?
"Murder" as opposed to what is "morally justified killing" varies greatly from place to place and time to time. So, what basis do we use for that determination...that could be deemed "categorically objective"?
I Submit: There isn't any "more valid" basis. But...since you argue so fervently that others are "wrong" (because they are "crazy" and "psychopaths") and you are "right" (because you are not "crazy")...it would be great if you enlightened us all with your superior knowledge and sanity...and hipped us to what objective basis there is you know of to determine what killing is murder, and what killing is morally justified.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Religion and Spirituality